Black w. Chrome Trim Dash Bezel

HOrnbrod

Part number 55003508 or 55005660. This is a long shot I know, but does anyone have a nice (NOS would be nice  :brows:) unmolested XJ/MJ dash bezel they would like to sell? Can't find a decent example anywhere. All the ones I've seen have the chrome trim worn off in places. I have a couple of pristine silver w. black trim to trade or will purchase your's outright for top dollar if it's nice.   Thanks....

3 hours ago, Minuit said:

Good luck. I found one that was 99% but the parts that were worn off bugged me. Went with the even rarer '91 Briarwood dash bezel instead :beerbang:

Well this confirms my major mistake of throwing away the small, in perfect condition, Briarwood trim piece for under the steering wheel I found in my MJ when I bought it.... I initially thought it was a piece to a crappy wood desk (found amongst other crappy wood desk pieces in the truck) and tossed it.. Later realizing it was a dash piece..  Wish I would have known.. 

13 hours ago, Keyav8r said:

It appears that you’re 🦄 hunting, Don.

There are none to be had NOS that I can find. Someone's hoarding one somewhere....

13 hours ago, Minuit said:

Good luck. I found one that was 99% but the parts that were worn off bugged me. Went with the even rarer '91 Briarwood dash bezel instead.

I just can't do plastic wood mate.  :crazy:

Has anybody tried a chrome paint pen on a black dash?  Ive got two black/chrome cluster covers here but both have the chrome rubbed off in places.  My thought was to use a paint pen to restore what I had when I get to it, figuring NOS would be unobtainable.

I used to build plastic models when I was a kid, and used this to simulate metal finishes.  Wasn't sure it was still made, used to be able to get it at Wal-Mart.

https://www.amazon.com/AMACO-Metallic-Finish-Silver-0-5-Fluid/dp/B00081G2HG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510598221&sr=8-1&keywords=rub-n-buff+silver

It is like a paste wax.  I don't think it looks like chrome, but I think it would do a good job of dressing up places where chrome had rubbed off.  Comes in different colors too.

Lots of good reviews on amazon, bad reviews appear to be from dried up "old stock" to me.

My ex-father-in-law used to build high-end model airplanes.  Years ago showed me a roll of foil, that I believe had adhesive on one side, which is used to put chrome trim on models.  I believe application required putting down the foil then trimming to fit using a scalpel.  Maybe somebody else out here knows what it was, I don't think it's the wax referenced by schardein. 

Either way, Don, I'm working on restoring those two lower black dash panels for each of our trucks, and will look into the dash clusters as well.  Unfortunately the black plastic bonder dried flexible on my test pieces, so I'm back to tan bonder to repair cracks, and a little paint.  If I can come up with something that looks NOS, I'll let you know.

• 4 weeks later...

Don, you can have the one I took out.  Unfortunately it was molested, the bozo who installed my stereo 27 years ago trimmed the reveal around the a/c and heater controls, something I didn't notice til years later.  Fortunately the chrome is still in good shape I think, I kept it and it is in the attic.  I found an all black one that I prefer.   I can take a pic in the next week if you are interested.  

Buck.