Speedometer

No I didn't lube it! What can I use? Stopped at the parts stores they all said I don't know. I kind of remember from my younger days about using transmission fluid.

I checked the routing and it's about as straight as it can get except for the extra length, 20", that the new cable has. But it's not kinked. It has a fairly smooth bend.

When I did mine I poured  marvel mystery oil from the top slowly till it dripped out where connects to transfer case. The I attached to transfer case and added a little more. I have the same speedo cable from 1987 and works great. I do the lube every time I need to service tranny clutch.  my 2 cents

4 minutes ago, Jaime said:

What did you use to grease it with? I thought your not supposed to use regular wheel grease because it'll gum up.

It's been better than 5 years ago............

Seems like it was some lithium paste for cables.............IIRC.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atp-at204?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-atp-automotive&gclid=Cj0KCQjwprbPBRCHARIsAF_7gDaMQAwiIkzxPy043WlmFpUMuAMSLk5rOFncSlrp3q3tDGQqq_KyexMaAqNaEALw_wcB

My cable may have come with it.......i just don't remember. 

Apparently there is grease just for cables and it's pretty cheap. NAPA will probably have it. 

This is the result using the Pioneer #CA3068. I have a small bounce of about 1/8 to 1/4 inch, from 0 to about 35 mph. It gradually gets smaller. After 35 mph no bounce. The cable is 20 inches longer and the tip is slightly  smaller but hey it works. The hardest part is trying to get the grommet to go on. I still can't get on. If I get the opportunity to get another speedometer I'll swap it because I still think that it might be part of the bouncing problem. 

Thanks everyone for the input. 

• 5 months later...
On 10/16/2017 at 11:27 PM, IronManche87 said:

Not a great pic I can get a better one tomorrow but this is the 3068 I still have it laying around cuz it was special order and ended up being the 3116. I can pop my cluster out on lunch tomorrow and grab pics of the 3116 and grab pics of the 3068 after work.b5988380dbd4fee7f3fa04ff5c09dc3c.jpg

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

My cable broke as well. I just left the parts store and was given the one in the photo. Just so I don't have to make another trip i need the CA 3116 correct? My old one appears to be the same as Jaime's. 

Could i just pull the cable out of the one i bought and slide it in the sheath that is already in? 

If its needed mine is a 88 Pioneer 2WD short bed, 4.0