Jump to content
Wiggilez

The 100$ Ram Charger, plus ferrets

Recommended Posts

Back story.

 

So in my girlfriends neighborhood there has been this ram charger that has just been sitting there, we've been dating for close to 3 years but we've known each other for closer to 6, and in all this time the truck has just sat there.

 

fast forward to last week I was walking my ferrets,  and the owner walks out of his house, I asked him about the truck, he replies that it belong to his father and that he doesn't know much about it other than it's been sitting for the last 8 years, but that if I wanted more info he'd take my number and pass it along.

 

A week after that I get a text with the following info.

Replaced Brakes, windshield, all steering components and a few other small thing.

 

but it need a timing chain, but he has one an is willing to sell it the truck. and that either I give him 100$ for it as is, or 500$ for it fixed and running, but I wouldn't get it till the end of the month.

 

now fast forward another week(today) and I take the time to actually look and the rest of the truck including turning over the engine both by hand and with the key, and by luck it not seized, nor does it seem to have a bent valve. Wednesday I'm giving him 100$ and pushing it to my girlfriends family's place where her dad  and I our going to try and get it running before the end of the week, if it need more then the known fix plus oil, filter and gas it's gone. i'll get some pictures of it Wednesday when I pick it up.

 

Edit, 

2017-09-15 22.30.09.jpg

2017-09-15 22.30.56.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Wiggilez said:

....fast forward to last week I was walking my ferrets, .......

 

You stole the Ramcharger, but I want to see the above.  :applause:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

 

You stole the Ramcharger, but I want to see the above.  :applause:

 

Here's a picture of the little guys, though it's a few months old. 

 

Also i will neither confirm nor deny my stealing of the ramcharger :P

2017-09-12 09.26.45.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had several Ram chargers and full size 80`s dodge trucks really missed also a few 70`s. I would maybe trade my comanche for a Ram or ramcharger or powerwagon.

 

One had 360 4 BBL in it my buddy had one with 440 4bbl in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought the ramcharger, we pushed around the block to my girlfriend's family's place where me and her dad tore into it, first we just just tried putting gas in it and a battery to see if we could get luck. No dice. It fired once then belched a small flame out the carb and that was the best we got.

 

The PO did say that it had jumped timing, so we pushed into his garage and took out all the accessories then the timing cover, 

 

We get the cover off set the timing marks up with changing anything and low and behold they line up perfectly, though the chain is looser then my one size fits all coveralls. So we put the new one on but left the old gear there, as they are a much better quality then the replacements and still lool great compared to the old ones. That's far as we got tonight, plan for tomorrow is put all the new seals in then put the truck back together and do what we should have done first and check the plugs as well as the cap and router. Because other than gas we did literally nothing else.

 

Also ill make sure not to forget my phone so i can grab some pictures for you guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2017 at 9:43 AM, Wiggilez said:

 

Here's a picture of the little guys, though it's a few months old. 

 

Also i will neither confirm nor deny my stealing of the ramcharger :P

2017-09-12 09.26.45.jpg

 

Thanks! Very cool pets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2017 at 9:10 AM, HOrnbrod said:

 

You stole the Ramcharger, but I want to see the above.  :applause:

That's the exact reaction I had LOL. 

 

Thanks for sharing the pic, love ferrets!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent the last two nights working on it, still no luck :(  also i have a few pictures, illtry to post them before morning for you early riseres.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Pete M said:

how long does a ferret walk last?  :hijack:

 

It varies, they can be as short 15-20 min

 

To upwards of over an hour, though if I'm planning on a longer walk i need to bring some food and water for the little guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just out of curiosity, how many people look at you like you are crazy when they see you walking ferrets down the street? It's definitely something I've never seen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of on lookers, only a few weird looks though. Although because of how uncommon it is everyone wants to pet them. The big brown one is a total suck and loves all the attention he gets. The little balck and white one kind of case by case on weather or not she'll let you pet her and the white one on top is a jerk face and bites everyone so i have to hold her so she doesn't bit people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wiggilez said:

Lots of on lookers, only a few weird looks though. Although because of how uncommon it is everyone wants to pet them. The big brown one is a total suck and loves all the attention he gets. The little balck and white one kind of case by case on weather or not she'll let you pet her and the white one on top is a jerk face and bites everyone so i have to hold her so she doesn't bit people. 

Lol do many people ask what they are or think they are squirrels? To me ferrets seem like one of those pets that is common but just uncommon enough for  some people to have no idea what they are.  I never would of thought that people walk their ferrets but I guess it would be good exercise for them.  They are definitely cute all snuggled together like that. 

 

Sorry for getting side tracked on the ferrets.  Back to the RAM CHARGER!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/09/2017 at 7:42 PM, Dzimm said:

Lol do many people ask what they are or think they are squirrels? To me ferrets seem like one of those pets that is common but just uncommon enough for  some people to have no idea what they are.  I never would of thought that people walk their ferrets but I guess it would be good exercise for them.  They are definitely cute all snuggled together like that. 

 

Sorry for getting side tracked on the ferrets.  Back to the RAM CHARGER!!! 

 

You get the odd person thinking that they are a weasel or mink/stoat.

 

I also had a person freak out thinking they were rats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got it running tonight, i had to put in a new starter after frying the old one last night. Unfortunately it won't idle without minor throttle, also it stalls out immediately if you put it in gear even if your giving it gas. All things considered it seems like a healthy engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IT LIVES, we got it all fixed up ish, it starts super good now, and you can put it in gear and drive it, where as before it would stall out the moment you put it in gear, I took it for a quick trip around the block, tomorrow we're going to set the timing and hopefully i'll be driving  it for the rest of the winter.

 

and for those wondering what the total cost it as it's currently about 190ish maybe a tad under though it needs wipers, so by the time it's done it will probably be the 210$ ramcharger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool! Nothing like scoring a heck of a deal to make your day/week/month. You'll have to share a full pic when you get it out of the garage next.

 

Oh, and have your ferrets gone for a ride yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as of today the truck is registered and insured, took it for a 70k joyride around town and it seem to be doing fine, also in other news the ferrets seem to be enjoying the cooler weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wiggilez said:

as of today the truck is registered and insured, took it for a 70k joyride around town and it seem to be doing fine, also in other news the ferrets seem to be enjoying the cooler weather.

I saw the 70k and my brain went straight to "a 70 thousand mile joy ride???" then I realized it... Stupid imperial system, why can't we all just use the metric system and make life easier?!? 

 

Do the ferrets like the snow? Do they play in it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dzimm said:

I saw the 70k and my brain went straight to "a 70 thousand mile joy ride???" then I realized it... Stupid imperial system, why can't we all just use the metric system and make life easier?!? 

 

Do the ferrets like the snow? Do they play in it? 

 

We haven't got any snow yet, but despite have these guys for about a year I only started actively walking them this spring and a little bit last fall.  so they've never really seen that much of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×