So i'll start a build thread for my recently acquired Comanche!

Bought a ticket from Denver to Phoenix to pick this up and drive it back.  Pretty much love at first sight!

NohHAHv.jpg

It has a full 98 conversion.  4.0 with 110k, AW4, NP242, limited slip Dana 35, 3" lift (I think).  All of this was done by the previous owner.  Driving back was a breeze (except for the AC compressor clutch exploding in Phoenix).

p5LS9IV.jpg

This is the first pic I took in it's new natural habitat in the forest of Colorado!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a reference, I've had two pretty built Cherokee's.  Both were geared, one was locked. This black one was totaled in May, and I still have it for parts.  Some of the expensive parts (axles, bumper) are going to be swapped over eventually.

qngbfrv.jpg

This had 4.88's, and I had just put a Powertrax No-Slip in the C8.25.

Qf9T8Xj.jpg

This is how she currently sits. 305/70-16's with the Bushwacker flares. The back flares don't quite match up, so I'm going to 3D print a piece to fill the gap.

A common way to fix the gab between the fender and the flare is using some automotive edging trim like the stuff people put on car door edges so it won't scratch another car. Here's what I'm talking about. 5203f869e5626ebcfb8a57b2a933f690.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Qf9T8Xj.jpg

This is how she currently sits. 305/70-16's with the Bushwacker flares. The back flares don't quite match up, so I'm going to 3D print a piece to fill the gap.

A common way to fix the gab between the fender and the flare is using some automotive edging trim like the stuff people put on car door edges so it won't scratch another car. Here's what I'm talking about. 5203f869e5626ebcfb8a57b2a933f690.jpg

That's a good idea! I'll try that if the fancy 3D printer thing doesn't work.  Thank you!

Qf9T8Xj.jpg

That's a good idea! I'll try that if the fancy 3D printer thing doesn't work. Thank you!

You're welcome, and by the why nice looking truck!

natander2sometime, that's the nicest cleanest MJ, I've saved pictures of it to show my buddies over at shop ..

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Thank you! I've always kept my rigs nice, and this one will be no different! I'll get more pictures today after I put my winch bumper on.

• 1 month later...

So I pulled out the C8.25 from my old XJ.  It has a Powertrax no slip and 4.88 gears.  I cut the mounts off and welded on some new Artec Industries mounts.  I decided to keep it spring-under for simplicity.  I also dropped off a Dana 30 to get geared a couple days ago.  Everything is getting thrown together next week so I can go on a road trip next weekend, hopefully.  

22228164_10213577061596570_5950650740257205492_n.jpg

4 hours ago, DesertRat1991 said:

I could swear I've seen this truck rolling around the Tucson area, but it wasn't finished. All white, 97+ front with cherokee tails. Different wheels and no bumpers.

How's the fit on those tail lights? How are they mounted?

This would be the one! I bought it in July and drove it back to Denver.  It had JK wheels, which I still have.  The PO did some significant fiberglass work to make the taillights work.  The fit isn't bad, but he said it took an ungodly amount of time to do.  And I'm not sure about the mounting, but if you're curious, I could definitely take one off and take some pics!

• 3 weeks later...

So I did a bunch of things.  Dana 30 with 4.88's and Currie steering, Chrysler 8.25 with 4.88's and a Powertrax No-slip, 4.5" coils up front with adjustable uppers, upgraded injectors, Dodge Dakota 23 gallon fuel tank....And I got the camper shell on in time for winter.  Now I just need to find time to take it out and wheel it!

22788972_10213745721172954_24330570693923706_n.jpg

One more update: I'm getting about 18 mpg in town with the correct speedo gear! I need to get it out on the highway and see how it does.  

One downside, the rear locker likes to disengage on hard left turns, letting the driveshaft spin freely and not putting power to the rear wheels.  Which seems somewhat unhealthy.  I'll take the cover off and see how many springs I can pick out of the bottom of the pumpkin.  

15 hours ago, cody4359 said:

my currie steering always snaps my swaybar quick disconnect lynch pin on the passenger side. hopefully you'll have better luck. I like the canopy, what's it off of?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I guess we'll see what it does to the sway bar, but nothing has happened yet.  The canopy came off of another MJ, and it fits nice enough that I think it's actually a MJ topper.  I paid a whole $30 for it too!

• 2 weeks later...

Got out this weekend the day after a snow storm.  There wasn't much snow, but the truck struggled hard.  The rear locker is busted and the tires are pretty bad in deep snow.  Ended up winching up a hill with a Tacoma strapped to the back of me.  I'll definitely be throwing weight in the back for winter driving.

23658466_10213931914347667_2465701016504822929_n.jpg