"Wendy"- 88 Jeep Comanche Build

On top of that got new turn signal and marker light lenses

I used plastidip smoke to dull them a little because they looked off on the jeep when they were really shiny and reflective

EyfVk8F.jpg 

Got a new set of seat brackets from @krustyballer16

H9kpfX7.jpg

Still have lots to do such as installing insulation and a headliner, seat belts, a new floor pan, parking break cables and such

Probably the most anticipated update. I got the @DirtBound Fender flare and armor set from another member here on the forums @ScottJeep.

I was a nervous wreck having to drill holes into the comanche but I say it was worth it. Still need to cut out the original factor flare mounting hole to make it look right and finish it off.

nZMlVIr.jpg

y9yws8d.jpg

This picture of above has captivated me and I cannot stop looking at it, I fell in love with this truck all over again. I need to cut out the wheel wells so I can properly mount the 36s for some proper pictures. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just wanted to update the thread with some pictures and info. First and foremost, I got the 5.13s installed front and rear (with a spartan locker in the front, just need a locker for the rear now) and let me just say the jeep is a different (slow) animal. It is easier to drive and I have had Wendy up to 60mph no issues. Yes it does take a while to get there but it will get there. Secondly, I got a 4.0l power steering pump and steering gearbox installed. I did have to space out the pump pulley with some washers but other than that it was a bolt in installation. Let me just say power steering is a blessing, turning these 36's have never been easier. Thirdly, I also picked up a set of slightly used 35x12.5x15 cooper stt pro's that I will be mounting shortly to replace these 36 tsl bias swampers.

DNNnJJ1.jpg

efLzKJW.jpg

sphCxSA.jpg

What is also very frustrating is the fact that I had no turn signals for a while but my hazards still worked, so when I went to swap the steering wheel I swapped the turn signal switch thinking that was the issue. I put a brand new one in there and to no avail. My hazards still work but still no turn signals. 

Also I was driving my comanche all day this past Saturday (4/6/2019), I got back to my house and parked it. I got in it the next day (4/7/2019)  and the jeep would not start. It ended up being that the engine was not getting fuel. I checked everything I could besides pulling out the fuel pump. still no luck. I had just replaced the fuel pump in December. Can it go bad that fast?

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

chinese crap is crap. :(  'tis a fact of life.  I assume you checked for power and ground at the pump's harness?

I wasn't able to check for power because I couldn't find my electrical tester. I did check the ground and reclean it.

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

there's a connector in the harness right behind the drivers side rear tire that's known for corrosion issues inside.  the ground flows through it. 

I checked the harness that goes to the tank, I will check that harness

• 2 weeks later...

Well got Wendy running again! 

And I guess you can call this upgrade :dunno:  swapped the original capped lug nuts with some ones that are solid metal with no cap

0CeH88l.jpg

Before:

3xVQDyR.jpg

After:

uLv5bSC.jpg

Disregard the ugly wheels, I have been meaning to strip the old clear coat off and re seal them

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 7:50 PM, Pete M said:

honestly, that's one of the best upgrades I've done to my Libby.  :D    oem lugnuts suck!

they really do especially capped in sheet metal

• 3 weeks later...

Just a few more pictures to photo bomb the thread. Took the jeep out to enjoy the build so far. I had the biggest smile on my face driving around in something I built and put together. As you can see I finally got a winch bumper, it is the mudman from goliath offroad. I am really surprised with how the jeep performed on this outing, I guess that has to do with the fact that I hardly ever really drove it and I didn't know what to expect. It seems pretty capable and I am interested to start testing it.

xMHbaoA.jpg

Did get stuck on a few occasions 

bXA4Iie.jpg

mUSZ9G2.jpg

0g76eWP.jpg

By far my favorite picture of Wendy, I'm sure this will change when I get rock sliders and a light bar lol (short arms w/drop brackets are flexing pretty good)

aJpH4Uh.jpg

other side of the flex (still had some more room to go, just that was the top of the small rock)

u45sc1x.jpg

Next up for the comanche is a list of things but first and foremost is getting the spartan locker for the rear, I know I have it in my sig but I don't physically have it yet. Also getting the rock sliders, an extra cooling fan operated on a switch, mount up my new tires, a winch, and figure out some wiring issues for the turn signals and windshield wipers

I am at a loss for words... I was out driving the comanche on a sunday cruise 5/21/19 and something dreadful happened. The comanche caught fire while I was driving. Luckily a bystander had a fire extinguisher and I was able to put the fire out quickly but the damage is done. I am not sure what caused it, it could have been a fuel line that started leaking, or some sort of electrical problem. The mj is no longer drivable as the harness and some of the sensors and connectors are fried. Everything that is damaged is repairable thankfully and I made it out unscathed. Back to square 1 I guess. The real question now is whether to source the parts to keep the tbi, or source the parts for 2.5l mpi swap or do something else.

Some pics of the damage (you can see the dry chemical from the extinguisher)

zFJrvWg.jpg

MijzHIc.jpg

k31z1By.jpg

Any suggestions on what I should do? Stay tbi or go ahead with mpi swap?