"Wendy"- 88 Jeep Comanche Build

Today was definetly interesting. I was able score a used set of Nitto terra grapplers. 305/70/17, they will do just fine for now and save me from having to dish out $800 for tires, I am going to try my hand at regrooving the tires. The best is that I got them for FREE​!!

DzLzQvfl.jpg

A little Size comparison next to the Comanche as it sits  (the royal blue is definitely growing on me)

4jexAOLl.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay the Hurricane Irma has definitely messed with the timeline of this build. I am back, Wendy is unaffected. I am getting ready to possibly order a rusty's 6.5" long arm lift kit. I am still not sure about the lift but I am telling myself to hold out and get the longarms then to go short arms and upgrade to longarms. I have heard some iffy stuff about rusty's joints in the control arms

Also noticed the Comanche has no power steering, I don't know if it'll be worth the upgrade once I get the bigger tires on and go offroading

4YqToJel.jpg

Started to pull the np242 out of the Cherokee, Its almost out just 3 more bolts because it started to rain :laugh:

I also started to think about how I am going to move the intake up higher, I was thinking of doing a passenger side cowl intake (to keep the outside looking stockish) but no one seems to have done it with a tbi 4 banger

I got the transfer case out, not sure if I want to use the np242 or np231. I have done some reading they both seem to be about the same minus the 4wd fulltime. do parts swap in between them? like planetary gears and such?

516hXvFl.jpg

I also finished taking everything I needed from the Cherokee I had and junked it for $150, not a huge amount of money but I didn't mind because it had served its purpose

yZ3rsZll.png

56eOSjKl.jpg

As of right now still not 100% sure what my next move with Wendy is. I don't know if I should prep the body for paint, or do all the interior work (buckets, center counsel, radio speakers), or finish the 4x4 swap (trans, tcase, driveshafts, steering), or do engine work... A lot to think about and ponder the next move for wendy

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I was able to get the bench seat out, and removed the vinyl flooring. Time to fix all the Holes in the driver side floor pan and paint it, I have heard that fiberglass is a good way to fix it or even getting the replacement panel. I am looking for a driver side Comanche seat bracket, because the one I have is missing a leg.ExFqaDXl.jpg

The plan right now is to do all the interior work, floor pan, seats, center counsel etc, as I save money to be able to move on to rear axle swap, trans swap etc. I have to repaint some of the interior trim pieces. Let see how long it'll take me to finish the floors 

As for the 242 vs 231 tcase, some of the parts do swap between them.  As long as they're the same generation, the input gear and planetaries are the same.  However, that's pretty much where the similarities end.  New Process actually rates the 242 for a higher maximum input torque, IIRC, but as to of how much of a difference it makes in the real world I don't know.  I wouldn't hesitate to use one or the other for what you're doing.

Don't fix your floors with fiberglass.  It's temporary at best.  Weld or rivet/panel adhesive new pieces in.

Keep working at it, you're making great progress. :thumbsup:

Maybe down the line I can get an atlas @DirtyComanche

I only mentioned the fiberglass because my granddad suggested it. I'll try the fiberglass stuff I started to buy. I thought it would have been a good fix haha. I'll look for metal to rivet in or weld in while the fiberglass is in

Thanks for the support

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2017 at 1:08 PM, Swampy said:

I got the transfer case out, not sure if I want to use the np242 or np231. I have done some reading they both seem to be about the same minus the 4wd fulltime. do parts swap in between them? like planetary gears and such?

516hXvFl.jpg

I also finished taking everything I needed from the Cherokee I had and junked it for $150, not a huge amount of money but I didn't mind because it had served its purpose

yZ3rsZll.png

56eOSjKl.jpg

Don't mean to give you a hard time.........but..............

Front fenders, hood, windshield trim, doors, header panel, rad support......etc........

There will come a day when these parts are impossible to find. 

That was not junk. 

2 hours ago, 88whitemanche said:

Good job bud, that blue interior is looking good! 

Thank you thank you, I'm trying haha

1 hour ago, Jeep Driver said:

Don't mean to give you a hard time.........but..............

Front fenders, hood, windshield trim, doors, header panel, rad support......etc........

There will come a day when these parts are impossible to find. 

That was not junk. 

If it was up to me I would still have the Cherokee so I can still have those parts accessible and use it as a place to store spare parts. But since I live at home with my mom at only 19, She wanted my neck everyday the Cherokee was out there in front of the house

Today has been a good day honestly. I got home from school and A package was at my front door and It was my "new to me" ax15. I am excited to get started on this swap and get this ol girl on here feet

FWwwrIpm.jpg

6cVL62Ml.jpg

I also bite the bullet and ordered the 4.5" lift kit from Rusty's. I know I wanted to go with the 6.5" but still being in school and probably transferring soon, I wanted to go with a slightly smaller setup keep more DD friendly and Plus I may not go over a 305/70r17 tire because of cost per tire, and it wouldn't strain the axles and motor too much

Should I get new upper control arms too?

Yeah, get new upper control arms.

Honestly hate to tell you, but at 4.5" a long arm setup would be way better.  I've got 3.5" RE coils in mine and hate the hammering feeling from the control arm angle, although I don't hate it enough to make it a priority to do anything about it.  I was actually holding off on replacing the UCAs because I was going to build a long arm setup, eventually I saw Amazon had RE adjustable ones on sale for way too cheap so I just bought them.

@DirtyComanche I am probably going to get adjustable uppers. The short arms should be fine to get me through college. 

The original plan was to do a full Ultimate Adventure Build. The goal is do build a capable expedition/overland rig. But right now being in college I have to take baby steps. 

DREAM BIG BUT START SMALL

over the course of the next few years it'll be getting done. When is the build ever finished am I right? :peep:

Small little exciting update. I got the lift in from rusty's. This is just one step closer to getting the jeep done haha, at this point I just feel like I am collecting parts and not really installing anything yet. Soon enough....

I0m56vml.jpg

Just have to get adjustable UCA's and the tie rod conversion to finalize the lift kit (they weren't options for the lift kit)

4pXlvFZl.jpg

huA5CKkl.jpg

2c2aYXgl.jpg

18 hours ago, 88whitemanche said:

Did you get an adjustable track bar and drop bracket? 

Nice meeting you today 

Yeah I have the adjustable trackbar. No drop brackets for the control arms. I don't know if I will get the drop brackets.

It was nice meeting you too