California Comanche

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd go ahead and get started on my build thread after spending my first weekend under my new 1991 'Manche! 

Some back story- I picked this up in June from the original owner with 512k miles. It had the motor and transmission rebuilt at 250k, and has had almost everything else replaced in the last 20k miles (clutch, ignition, alternator, etc.) It's equipped with the high output 4.0, AX15, 4x4, and the 7' long bed. It was primarily used as a commuter truck, driving weekly from socal to norcal. The original owner added a few nice touches, like a Borla header, but somethings that will need to be taken out, like the wet K&N filter, which are cruddy out in the desert. 

This weekend, I got her smog'd, changed the engine, diff, and tranny oil, and started cleaning everything up. Got a little stuck on the 30mm bolts for the t-case, but soaked those with pb blaster and will hopefully have that fluid changed out tomorrow. 

Next will be replacing the headliner, adding a lift, and some new wheels and tires. I've been reading a lot on the forums, and will also try to replace the cooling system ASAP so I don't have any issues down the line.

Long term, I'd really like to turn this into a long haul desert truck. In a few years, I think it would be really fun to compete in something like the Baja race series, though I have quite a bit of work to do before she's ready for something like that  . :MJ 1: .

I've already gotten some very helpful advice, and look forward to learning a lot more! 

XAiBYuu.jpg

W1toPoJ.jpg

gHJGKLd.jpg

xh1d0jf.jpg

UbD2EDO.jpg

3IlyEXW.jpg

5dFLZbr.jpg

Fourth of July update: 

Picked up a torch at Lowe's and was finally able to get the 30mm fill bolt on the t-case off. Looks like it had the factory loctite on the bolts! Will probably run the new ATF through the t-case for a month or so then drain and refill to get more of the nasty stuff out. 

Started working on the front fenders today, too. Got all the plastic pulled off, and have it marked up for cutting and folding tomorrow/Thursday. Will be scouring craigslist for a deal on TJ wheels and tires (shooting for a nice set of used 31s). 

Also going to try and remove the headliner to prep for restoration, and add in a layer of Dynamat and Reflectix. So far so good! Happy Fourth of July!

Congrats on the truck!

I am picking my first one up this weekend in GA and will be driving it back to Los Angeles. If you ever want to meet up or need any help, just drop me a PM. Beers or whatever on me...

Great looking truck too by the way. It's in great shape.

Congrats on the truck!

I am picking my first one up this weekend in GA and will be driving it back to Los Angeles. If you ever want to meet up or need any help, just drop me a PM. Beers or whatever on me...

Great looking truck too by the way. It's in great shape.

Thank you, and and congrats to you too! That'll be a hell of a drive! I have a bit of garage space, so we'll have to connect once you get back and get to work. I'll PM you now. 

Hacked off the front fenders today - went with the bend & fold technique. This is the first time my roommate and I have attempted any sort of bodywork on any vehicle, and we are pretty satisfied with our handiwork. We marked everything off with a sharpie, made the cuts, bent it back with our fingers, then hammered it straight. We plan on adding some fiberglass to smooth it out, then a little bit of thin, black rubber piping along the edges for trim. It looks like we netted about 1.5'' or so in clearance. We will also be gluing in a pool noodle and adding some rust protection to keep things nice and clean. 

6GlGZwY.jpg

wBDF4N7.jpg

3kGNMW7.jpg

Here's an up close shot of the cut: 

P8VrRv3.jpg

And measurements (sorry for quality):

GZMhOk1.jpg

UWSqLh0.jpg

Going to do the rear tomorrow. Will have more pics then! Stay tuned! 

Today's update: holding off on rear fender trimming until I get a little more info and do some additional research, so I'll be reattaching the rear fenders, sans wheel-well cover. Time to get to work on the fiberglass for the front! 

In the meantime, I found the original invoice and I've tracked down the build sheet for my truck from Jeep's website- anyone happen to know what the 'Italia Package' is/was? 

dt7ou68.jpg

Vehicle Description 

1991 JEEP COMANCHE

VIN 1J7FJ26S2ML521766 

STANDARD EQUIPMENT

• *  Monotone Paint

• *  Power Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes

• *  Mini Floor Console

• *  Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System

• *  230MM Front Axle

• *  3.07 Rear Axle Ratio

• *  175MM Rear Axle

• *  Tinted Glass Windows

• *  Tinted Windshield Glass

• *  Front Door Tinted Glass

• *  Fixed Door Vent Glass

• *  Open

• *  85 MPH Primary Speedometer

• *  DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

• *  Shift Indicator Warning Lamp

• *  Glove Box Lamp

• *  Halogen Headlamps

• *  Black Front Bumper

• *  Black Grille

• *  Bright Windshield Moldings

• *  Rear Door Solid Window Insert

• *  Belt Moldings

Equipment Listing

1 07/06/17

• *  EVAP Control System

• *  Bright White Clear Coat

• *  Delete Radio

• *  Power Rack and Pinion Steering

• *  Alcantara Wrap Steering Wheel

• *  Standard Duty Shock Absorbers

• *  Rear Shock Absorbers

• *  Compact Spare Tire

• *  Tire Carrier Winch

• *  15X6.0 Styled Steel Wheels

• *  Pickup Box

• *  Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

• *  GVW/Payload Rating

• *  U.S. Dealer Retail

• *  Zone 71-Los Angeles

• *  American Coin Merchandising

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT

• *  SE Decor Group

• *  Italia Package

• *  130 Amp Alternator

• *  Straight Back Bench Seat

• *  Black Vinyl Floor Covering

• *  All Manual Transmission

• *  5-Speed Manual Transmission

• *  4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine

• *  Left Manual Mirror

• *  Air Conditioning

• *  DO NOT USE - See JP, KA classes

• *  Digital Clock

• *  Cigar Lighter

• *  Black Powder Coated Front Bumper

• *  Front License Plate Bracket

• *  California Emissions

• *  Bright White Clear Coat

• *  P195/65R15 BSW AS Touring Tires

• *  Michelin Brand Tires

• *  All Steel Wheels

• *  5 Additional Gallons of Gas

• *  Rear Spring Group I

• *  Left Front Group XV

• *  Right Front Spring Group XIV

• *  Customer Preferred Discount 

July 10th update:

It has been about 100F every day the last few days, so haven't had a chance to get to the fiberglass on the fenders. I did, however, pick up a nice set of American Racing Outlaw II wheels this weekend for $250 for the set of 5, and wrapped them with 4 brand new BFG T/A K02s (31/10.5r15). I really like the way the wheels and tires look with the cut fenders. The wheels will need some TLC but they are exactly what I wanted! 

4vPffBZ.jpg

No8F3AF.jpg

Hay what area in SoCal? I would like to find some MJ owners that are close to me. I'm in Palmdale area not far from Edwards Air force Base and north of LA. The truck is looking good and welcome to the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hay what area in SoCal? I would like to find some MJ owners that are close to me. I'm in Palmdale area not far from Edwards Air force Base and north of LA. The truck is looking good and welcome to the club.

Hey nice to meet you! I am in Mid-City LA. I go up to Hungry Valley all the time- maybe we can get a trip on the books once it cools down a little bit? 

Ya we will set something up, a meet and greet. May be we get something going here in the LA area, some mutual support. Some part sharing and knowledge support. BTW there is s Comanche 87 in the Pick your Part JY in Sun Valley. It's got bucket seats. I saw the picture of it on line but if you zoom in you can tell they are buckets. Not sure if the seats are still there but the truck should be. It was put in the yard on 7/3. There is a really nice black bench seat at A-Z or All American in Lancaster. I got the speedo out of it. Truck only had 83,000 on it. It's a shell but the seat is still in it. Let's keep in touch and set something up.

crumbscomanche, it sure would be nice if you could cut down the size of the pics you post. Takes forever to load them on my crappy DSL connection.

Sorry about that- I will try to resize the images and reupload.

Ya we will set something up, a meet and greet. May be we get something going here in the LA area, some mutual support. Some part sharing and knowledge support. BTW there is s Comanche 87 in the Pick your Part JY in Sun Valley. It's got bucket seats. I saw the picture of it on line but if you zoom in you can tell they are buckets. Not sure if the seats are still there but the truck should be. It was put in the yard on 7/3. There is a really nice black bench seat at A-Z or All American in Lancaster. I got the speedo out of it. Truck only had 83,000 on it. It's a shell but the seat is still in it. Let's keep in touch and set something up.

That'd be great! Would be awesome to all roll out to a junkyard. Seems to be a quite a few of us down here in SoCal. My bench is shot, def. need to find a new one. 

That bench in Lancaster is really nice. The guy running wanted to-sell the entire truck for 600. I'll be pulling the bench out of my Pioneer in a few week. Picked up some buckets for it and console. I' got my eye on an 88 long bed that's sitting in a field not far from my house. The guy that owns it quoted my 600 on it last year. I wasn't able to pop on it at that time. Now the guy won't return my calls. He wants to communicate through his mother. He almost acts like he is hiding out from one. The truck is on his mothers property. The plate is dated 2006. It's an 88 Olympic addition 4.0, 4x4, 5 speed, long bed, bench set,with 212,000 on it. It's a mess inside really rough interior. A mix of different colors on the panels and the like. R front fender need to be replaced. But no A/C that's Sucks. I'm going to keep at and maybe I'll get it some day. His mom is great to talk to but is kind of a jerk. His mom has given me his number twice and said he was expecting my call. I call the he doesn't answer or retune my messages. It been frustrating to say the least. Mean while the truck just sits there and rots. It s descent truck I'd love get it back on the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it has been a bit since I've had a chance to check in! Figured out how to get that damn spare on finally, finished the fiberglass on the front fenders, and bedlined the rockers/rear fenders. Overall, very happy with how this turned out on our first attempt. I also got a deal on a really nice '98 xj front end and interior ($500 total for everything I'll need for swap, minus engine and harness). Will probably save that until after I get it lifted.

Stay tuned!

QGKSaaI.jpg

g3yqOEy.jpg

LDWK3cY.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Blew out my steering stabilizer in Hungry Valley last week. Picked up a Rancho stabilizer for about $50. Noticeable difference over that old piece of junk that was on there!

Took it up to Rohwer Flats this weekend, and blew out my axle seals on the D30. Thinking I might just get the regear up to 4.56s in the next few weeks since they'll replace it.

14ALmgn.jpg

0paIH86.jpg

Hey nice to meet you! I am in Mid-City LA. I go up to Hungry Valley all the time- maybe we can get a trip on the books once it cools down a little bit?

Hey guys! I'm out of Lakewood/LB, I've been hitting up Gorman lately too! 839cb1b60ccee95a0daa59bfca87decb.jpg let's get a trip going!

I'm out of Lakewood, but I picked up my 87 near you in tehachapi. 08875e469cb94f8fd94e4a3e425a6be0.jpg