Vakarian

Vakarian's Comanche 'Trailbreaker'

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

if you get a free moment, could I get a part number off that AX-4?   :L: 

I will take look for it when I get home after work for you.

Pete M below is the set of numbers off the AX-4. I am assuming that is the part number you are looking for. (not sure how to tag you so hopefully you see it)

The numbers in the second picture are on the silver rectangle forward and left of the duck tape. If that is not what you need I will take another look.

KIMG0087.JPG.a57b692a6a1167c4685d39532d169ab8.JPGKIMG0088.JPG.583ec2755397a9605387f394d665bd8b.JPG

► ........... Wrenching Update .......................◄

The AX-15 transmission is installed! Did notice an issue that I didn't check when out but the front drive shaft has a different style U-joint then was the transfer case will accept. Good news is the front drive shaft U-joints need to be replace so that should correct itself. Began hanging the exhaust to get it in place before lift the skid plate.

Also had to drill out the lock cylinder in the wife's Cherokee as both keys have been lose for a week now. Thankfully that didn't take long and finished up the night there.

KIMG0086.JPG.c68f2bf19c5e5dfe77a3a1ff49fc2d0e.JPGKIMG0085.JPG.6c6bc78ea96f497fb012f1945b18b690.JPG

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

that part number comes back as an AX15 :L: 

:dunno: That is very interesting! I will post picture of the shift knob because there was definitely no fifth gear in the transmission.. 

I can't remember off the top of my head but will test after work today. Does it being magnetic or not determine something within the construction?

On 10/31/2019 at 1:38 PM, Pete M said:

AX-15s have aluminum for the donut.  AX-4/5s have steel. 

Pete M I am now really confused because the intermediate plate was non-magnetic but there was only four gears.

entirely possible that it's broken inside and 5th gear is unavailable.

Well that will be put on the to due list to check and repair for use in the Junkyard Gem. Thank you for the information Pete M!

Well the transmission has been reinstalled  into the truck but something is not functional correctly. :thinking: Before the transmission was connected to the truck it locked into place. However now there is an issue with the truck started and shifting into the gear the clutch springs won't disengage. 

So now I need to drop the transmission again and measure my input shafts. In addition to compare the clutch plate and retainer between the vehicles. :brickwall:

Been a while but time for an update on all the issues, troubles and skills learns.

►.......... WRENCH STATUS TRANSMISSION INCOMING .......................◄

As stated in my last post, the transmission had to come back out and this would be the first of many removals on this front. With the change to an external slave cylinder the clutch was giving me issue so that was the first thing to check. Found out that the factory transmission has significant changes compared to the plate I had been running with the external system from the Wrangler.

The clutch on the left and top in the two pictures are the factory clutch from the Comanche.

KIMG0153.JPG.027d8d4deb1b9f02eab88f1c51b57301.JPGKIMG0150.JPG.bf00368d61395f12e8385e3f97ee7bf6.JPG

KIMG0155.JPG.322b1b41fa72e5c2e7edc5774ed8d198.JPG

Once this issue was determined and resolved, back in the transmission went. Once all bolted in we started the truck up and shifted into first quickly followed by the shift handle getting really loose and moving all around. It acted like the internal selector for the shifter was free floating around the levers inside in addition to the clutch still not completely engaging.  So back out came the transmission again and stood it on its front to not have to drain it so I could just remove the rear section.

KIMG1086.JPG.8607b98b42635bf76d3a0e21fb742318.JPGreceived_489517855300379.jpeg.5fccdd7f206e9036f4566c56a3b68b7a.jpeg

With the transmission here and discussing with my buddy we made two immersive discoveries. 

1) The shifter length between a Wrangler and Comanche for the same transmission on different. [Wrangler on top, Comanche on bottom]

received_593475557892744.jpeg.6113d729b52751c79c89504fb3a37f77.jpeg

2) The transmission cover that secures the shifter are different heights. Thus causing the free floating issue as the shifter base was not seated properly.

[Comanche on left, Wrangler on right]

381399704_received_3907550252604230(1).jpeg.0af419ff17fd90b641fdae9892eaf3e2.jpeg

So with these two discoveries we began buttoning up the transmission. Drilled and tapped the for the breather line on the new cover and reinstalled the shifter rod. Bolted on the transfer case and went about reinstalling it. This past weekend on 11 Jan, started up the truck again testing it out and excited to drive the truck out of the garage. Well no go, transmission worked in 2 gear, 4 gear and reverse but 1,3 & 5 gear were a no go. After some research, we determined and remembered during the moments of our discovery, the shifter shaft was knocked off the saw horses supporting the transmission. This caused its orientation to be changed and I didn't realize that the set bolt was not centered. Thus it was bottoming out on the retention bolt keeping the transmission from going into gear.

So with that discovery I spend the following day trying to remove just the transfer case to not have to drop the transmission for another time. Made a mess trying to drain the transmission fluid back into the bottle as it was unused fluid and found out its just easier to drop the entire transmission.

received_468235397459099.jpeg.db03a7ed0217576b3ca34e83f423db9f.jpeg   1940662290_output(1).jpg.99ba74e3bf35d412c5a43a0ec0391cda.jpg

So back out the transmission will comes again this evening to make the simple correction. Hopefully this is the only issue and the truck will be back on the road tomorrow.

it's those little things that cause the biggest headaches. :(  glad you figured it out! :D  

So the truck has been sitting on the side of my driveway after towing back to the house. Started up the hill on my driveway and hurt two loud pops and all power was lost to the transmission. My initial thought was something inside the transmission broke but it was still shifting smoothly into all the gears. So towing the truck back up the driveway with the wife's 99 Cherokee it has been sitting as we researched what the issue could be. What we could gather is it could possible be that two of the flywheel bolts sheared off allowing the clutch plate to not engage. Tonight the truck should be back in the garage to take it apart again to figure out the issue. The truck had been sitting as the head gasket went on the wife's Cherokee and that was the higher priority.