Evolution '88

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Sanding around the door hinges and in the door area takes forever. Looks real good. I can't wait to see the finished product. It's kinda scary tackling a paint job but it's actually not that bad. I could have saved a quart of paint if the damn bugs didn't love paint. 

I've got the four stress cracks I have yet to drill and weld, next week, I just covered them with tape to leave them clean until I get to it. 

RUWYrLC.jpg

Interesting though, I'd like to know what material they used to join the roof with the B-pillar?

rUi40Dp.jpg

yV9eg92.jpg

3Nd6C4c.jpg

qNgFnWE.jpg

xOj9Ud1.jpg

MmwqBMg.jpg

mVCZKGA.jpg

fT1ejvU.jpg

N5VLT96.jpg

I still have much work to do on the cab, weld the cracks, sand and prime the rockers, there is a small dent to the right of the rear window and I still have to sand and prime below the rear window........but the big part is out of the way. 

14 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

Interesting though, I'd like to know what material they used to join the roof with the B-pillar?

Looks like it's a brazed joint. :) 

Good work, keep it up! I plan on painting mine too, but all the prep work that's needed.... Hats off to anyone doing it. 

That thing is going to be sweet when you get it done. Better get some WD40 started on the bed bolts now. Mine were frozen in good. While I had the bed off I took out every bolt I could in the suspension and used anti-seize on them. Might come in handy in the future. 

3 minutes ago, kansashogan said:

You can buy seam sealer for where the rocker meets the cab corner. I dug out all I could and re-did every seam I could. Mine wasn't cracked below the back window like yours. That might be tricky to make look good. 

Yes, thanks.

I'm doing this just as I do my work, I do the 90% then go back on the details.

What sucks about not having a large garage (yet) is that the truck sits outside, everything I uncover has to be primed that day. Now I can concentrate on the small details.....after doors are hung. 

I deal with two body shop  supply stores, one has seam sealer in a caulk tube and the other carries it in what looks like a cookie dough sleeve. I had to pick up some reducer last week and I was going to talk to the guy about which to get and how to use it but he was busy. I'll be back there in a week or so. 

On 10/16/2017 at 8:10 PM, kansashogan said:

You can buy seam sealer for where the rocker meets the cab corner. I dug out all I could and re-did every seam I could. Mine wasn't cracked below the back window like yours. That might be tricky to make look good. 

Thanks again, Hogan. 

Didn't realize just how bad that was.