The $#!& Getter Build

Track bar is on had to make a little modification to the axle side joint due to the fact that I didn’t pay attention to the bracket and joint widths before I ordered everything but it all in and good. Hopefully I’ll get my knuckles and pitman arm back this week so that can all go on.. I also ordered my brake lines and some more rear axle retainer plates for the chromos. Hopefully all of that gets here this week and next weekend I can put it all together and see how she does..

f1805bb4599ab7434e0f66f11c51f061.jpg

d7bcff2f64408b8d0f8b99c5a7544e8f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well got the knuckles back yesterday and everything put on today.. still need to do a tape measure alignment and tighten all the jam nuts down. I also need to do a little grinding on the front brackets of the axle for a little more turning radius as well as extend my steering stops. Brake lines and such should be here tomorrow so I’ll get that on and all bled tomorrow or this weekend. But I got excited and had to through the wheels on and get it off the jack stands!

ff6b8a254e157d858e55b334b2c3e5e9.jpg

6833a4fb01f789282a19398e27461c4c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got the brake lines on a semi bled. Ended up having to buy all new brake stuff for the front cause what I had laying around turned out to be bad.. once I got all that on Sunday I finally pulled it out of the garage. I drove it to the end of the street and back.. still need to fix me steering stops and install the rear shocks but it’s not long now.. though might have a hold up before it hits the road.. a secret modification of sorts.. I will let the cat out of the bag once it is all installed and working properly. Stay tuned folks!

5e892efe05e74c398751c435e8e237cd.jpg

463ef4c9108f68b6c6ccabdce7de3e94.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Got the shocks on and the new exhaust done. I figured out what was wrong with my fuel sending unit and fixed it. Still need to do steering stops. I also may need to replace the steering bump. It’s either not bleeding or not pumping. Very tough to turn. All that’s really left is to do that pump and bolt check and she’ll be ready to ride! Though progress has slowed due to school and my truck losing another transmission.. but we’ll be back on track soon..

484eee4dc718df4f46fe3ca55657aacf.jpg

12dad5a0e27d9f84d1fdd9971beb9927.jpg

• 1 month later...

Okay so it’s been a little bit but the Comanche is finally on the road. I drove it around all day yesterday with very little issues. I have gotten the tires regrooved and balanced but they are still no great but will do for now. I also need an alignment and a sway bar which will help. Another thing I noticed is that the patch in my gas tank isn’t holding so I need to find a non junk yard Dakota gas tank now but I’m not worrying about that right now. Only other big issue I have right now is the headlights. I have trucklites but they are acting weird. High beams are on all the time. I figure it’s cause they are LEDs but won’t know that till I throw some stock headlights in I have laying around. But all in all is good. Going to pick up our Christmas tree in it today!

• 1 month later...

Okay again it’s been a little while. The Comanche has just been sitting for the most part. I had a few issues with my truck and I’ve decided to rework the Cherokee.. however I have done a thing or two here and there. First off the camper top went on. Still not sure how I feel about it but it’s on. I also worked out a deal for a newer set of creepies but 37s. I have been wanting this tire for a while now so glad I have them and think they make the Jeep look a lot better. Also picked up a set of chromos for the 30. Which should finish off the polishing of that turd. As of now I am trying to knock off all the small things on my list. Ordered a set of LED resistors for the headlights to hopefully fix that. Sway bar brackets are on the way as well. Hopefully it’ll be more of a DD soon or at least ready for the next snow If it decides to down here.

45508670e8ae6d18e2458cdd1639c8ca.jpg

e60e8ffd6d26d7a2f2a31ad2fc610ec2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Okay so some updates. Comanche has been doing pretty well actually driving it as a DD for a few weeks. It is now starting to show some wear signs though mainly from the donor I used. Mostly maintenance stuff so I’ll get to it as time goes. Mainly thing I am in the middle of working on right now is the shifter. Got a new one but realized when I pulled the old one off the bushing was shot so gonna order a rebuild kit this week and put it back together then after that it’s getting cut off. I need to finish my xj now and with the Comanche useable I'm slowing up on it to a crawl. I’ll fix things as they break but nothing more. I found a local guy to paint it and will be giving it to him when ever I can come up with the extra money. Picked up a donor for it this weekend to cut a piece out of for when it does come time to paint it to have that piece patched in. I will keep everyone posted has progress resumes but will most likely be on the very slow end but stay tuned!

Mine: bought it like this not sure how or why but it is what it is..
f0be6aea888876f868af354f855df8a7.jpg

Piece I cut out of my donor:
7300125fba04667f05a381a731f653f4.jpg

b63ea08075aecb03c02026e817ab00db.jpg

• 1 month later...

Okay so I hate to be the barrier of bad news but a lot has been going on and it is time for the Comanche to go. I know this seems like a trend of mine but its all for the best. There will be another later down the road for sure but not as built as this one is, at least not with the swap and not as high. The only reason I am letting it go is cause it is still somewhat of a project and with having two other cars that are still needing a decent amount I have to let one go. I have a found a guy that is wanting to trade me for an LJ. I know this seems like sacrilege and kinda defeating the purpose but I have been wanting one for a while now and with it being mostly stock and not 32 years old it won't need as much plus will give me something else to drive while I take care of some issues with my other daily. Another big reason I have found myself with is that I built this jeep really at its limits as a driver. Not that it isn't driveable but built to a point where I will probably never use it to its full capabilities and for that I feel like it is unfair to a point and would like for it to really be used for what it was built for. Like I said though hope is not lost. I will be back eventually with a new Comanche build, might not be for a while but will be. I have always loved these trucks and will always love them but the next one will be more of a very mild build/restoration small lift/level, no bigger than a 33" tire and thats it. That is unless the body on my cherokee finally gives out in which I will buy a Comanche to replace it with. I will post some more pics up until the trade deal is made. We have worked out that I put some bumpers on it to make it eve so I will be making a rear bumper and bought a front from a buddy of mine. I'll post some pics when I get them on. 

• 3 weeks later...

So the Comanche is gone on to better things. I did trade for the LJ and I’m very please with it. Did need a little more TLC then I had hoped but still a good trade. I will start a small build thread for it a little later. But it will be slow and not as exciting as this one was. Didn’t get it to “build” really but to drive and enjoy. With that said there will be a little bit done along the way once the Cherokee and truck is taken care of. As for right now it is in need of very little mainly maintenance and will act as the fun/back up car to the fleet.

bd982c7f5e10ecc2b94dff6c6ab026fe.jpg