1987 Jeep comanche

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did the head gasket go (a second time at that)?

First time for this truck! I did one on my 88 xj.. Definitely learned what NOT to do. I had to fish a rod out with fishing string cuz it fell off the lifter.. And I think it blew due to sitting in a junkyard for over a decade before the PO bought it for parts (only took some interior pieces and tailgate) before falling into my lap for a HELL of a deal!! After sitting so long she's finally stretching her legs aaannnndddd welp you know the rest.. Was running too notch when I did the intake and exhaust and all the emission sensors after BARELY failing CA smog twice x.x then a few days later, an oil change and coolant flush later started running like crap and then I go to leave oreillys and BOOM I'm chooching like a train.. X.x

I guess good thing I picked some new ones up?? Worse than I thought!! X.x but not the worst I've seen (or replaced)! She's moving along, unfortunately at a slower pace than I'd prefer but still progress is progress!4c8d33fb1206945fc05c5a579b38350e.jpg

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

***UPDATE*** So today I decided to call the machinist today and turns out the cylinder head originally on the truck was cracked in multiple places... Further explains why it was running rough... Luckily still had the head from my 88 xj engine I had laying around although it's pretty rusty... Fortunately he said looks better than the other one lol my fault I should've looked at the first one before taking it... First thing I did was wrap it in a towel instead of look at the damn thing x.x postponed once again... Gives me more time to somewhat straighten things up and replace injector connectors since most are missing the retaining clips (took one for the knock sensor lol) as well as some damaged wires. Update! Thanks all!!

***update***

So for the injector plugs, I ended up just swapping the clips from the new connectors since the wires aren't damaged anywhere and they all still worked I found it to be easier lol. As for the cylinder head, fortunately it'll work.. Unfortunately, the amount of rust was horrifyingly tedious to clean and turns out it was warped... Gonna be pricey x.x

Welp made some progress today after work. Almost back together just need to get a nut for the rear exhaust manifold stud (old intake had bolts instead), thermostat housing, the p/s bracket and pump, air box and intake, plug everything back together, fill fluids, and pray she doesn't blow up on me.. Since there were so many cracks in the cylinder head, I can't help but stress and worry about the integrity of the block... I feel it should be just fine because it ran strong just had a couple things here and there that are to be expected when trying to give an old girl new breath but still can't shake the feeling of utter failure after all the hard work and effort... Well only one way to find out.. Will update when I get her all back together and post the outcome of the head gasket repair. Thanks all!b4eb709af4be8860f6782430703ae66e.jpg56daf65799113ee2672580ff3803b5a3.jpg

Not going to run the heat shield on the intake manifold?

I wouldn't worry tooooo toooo much about the block/bottom end, they're pretty tough. Just keep an eye and an ear on things.

I'm still in the air about the heat shield.. I ran it without on my Cherokee and it was fine but I think after I get it all back together I might end up putting it back on after a fresh coat but still not entirely sure. If I leave it off its one less step lol. And that's what I was thinking. They are tough as nails lol but I also DIDN'T have the head that was prone to crack so in the meantime I can't help but still feel uneasy x.x but again I'm sure it'll be fine! I'm only 20 and even though I have done a head job on my xj (prior to the bottom end blowing up), I'm still nervous that SOMEhow I would manage to mess something up internal... Although I've done the intake/exhaust and the rest of the assembling too many times to count lol. I'm still getting the hang of internal repairs so forgive the excessive questions!! But thank you for taking the time to check out my build! Hopefully after work today I will have good news!! Will update!

All back together!! She fired right up!! Sounds great!! ....aside from the exhaust leak... I need to go through and double check all the bolts and make sure they are all on tight but for now Ironmanche lives once again!! We will see how she holds up over the next few days! Stay tuned folks! Next after fixing the leak is hopefully passing smog!! Will update!782079610468432cc2ec12a0e251ca88.jpg

All back together!! She fired right up!! Sounds great!! ....aside from the exhaust leak... I need to go through and double check all the bolts and make sure they are all on tight but for now Ironmanche lives once again!! We will see how she holds up over the next few days! Stay tuned folks! Next after fixing the leak is hopefully passing smog!! Will update!782079610468432cc2ec12a0e251ca88.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a while since the last update but have yet to get a chance to get her to smog yet. I decided to take care of the exhaust first for obvious reasons lol. Getting her back at lunch time so we shall see!! The muffler I used was just one of the $25 flotecth raptor "performance muffler" from oreillys lol I'm insanely curious about the sound for the price will let y'all know!! e859402a7ff646ac639d9e0028a77e1f.jpg389c336d1a140808d007e6ca0018b65d.jpg

What diameter exhaust pipe? Are you running a full tail pipe past the muffler, or just a dump?  I used two of those mufflers on my plow truck, 2.5" diameter, and dumps.  It's loud.  I mean, it's not terrible, has a decent tone with the V8, but probably not what I'd want for a daily driver. :eek:

If you've got a full tailpipe past it, it probably won't be too bad.

What diameter exhaust pipe? Are you running a full tail pipe past the muffler, or just a dump? I used two of those mufflers on my plow truck, 2.5" diameter, and dumps. It's loud. I mean, it's not terrible, has a decent tone with the V8, but probably not what I'd want for a daily driver. :eek:

If you've got a full tailpipe past it, it probably won't be too bad.

Unfortunately it's 2 1/4".. But I had them at least hang it and dump it. Louder yes, cab-echo when starting to drive at a lowish idle yeah it sucks..., but I should be able to pass smog with flying colors! Well after I replaced the egr canister hoses lolf73c8d9d775c9929747e6d0341832abb.jpg557b0bbb302225fa98e19857d3c6ad75.jpge08d61e8c532bd83cb0096f8ec2753ad.jpg

• 2 months later...

I actually had gotten the "OE" ones on summit for an outrageous amount of money since I had done next day air to be able to get them in time to do the free retest... Then someone sent me a part number I crossed from AutoZone to oreillys numbers (which were the same) and bam I had em on the shelf the whole dang time x.x the rollover valves I had to order but was able to find those easy peasy in the system. I'll have to get you a PN on the valves tomorrow but I had a pic of the grommets just in case I ever have to do that again lole2be98633fc210f1cd4ffe51427f99f1.jpg

Where did you get the rollover valves and grommets? I reused mine, and they were less than ideal. It would be something to have if I ever drop the tank again.

The part number for the valves is 911-060 and it's Dorman. When I installed the valves it was a little tough at first but a tiny bit of grease and they popped right in and was able to turn and point em in the direction I wanted when I installed them both and ran the breather hose.