Jeremy's Radio Emporium: Old Radios for the Modern Era

• 3 weeks later...
Found an oldie out in Colorado (but was unable to get it into my luggage so it remains out there).  not sure what I'd do with it, but thought maybe it'd be really cool as a faceplate with upgraded guts behind it.  :dunno:  I dunno.  

20180617_171939.jpg.b3803ffea61b62dffd8d112398f7edd0.jpg
20180617_171947.jpg.00bef1b0459af65202646cc74a5b4411.jpg

I'll do you one better!
Right from an early Cherokee.
ee0b9c6b3e293372206dcfae9bbfa39e.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was doing a straight up restoration I would be calling you today.
I like gadgets to much. Guess the few years I worked for the local car audio shop stuck with me.
BTW:
I've got the OE radios from my son's 94 YJ, and my 92 MJ. They worked when removed. If you want them, let me know. I can stick them in a USPS flat rate box.

• 1 month later...

Were you looking for radios? I thought I seen someone put up a post not long ago looking for some. This is what I found today. I'm sure there is more but I have some yet in heeps too that I can get or find easier.1105182049.jpg.cfdb93c82552e5193be79618443ecbe0.jpg

On 8/21/2018 at 9:08 PM, TheDude said:

I'll do you one better!
Right from an early Cherokee.
ee0b9c6b3e293372206dcfae9bbfa39e.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a couple of those too Cody and I like them and want to get the knobs fixed on 1.

On 11/5/2018 at 7:54 PM, saveevryjp1998 said:

Were you looking for radios? I thought I seen someone put up a post not long ago looking for some. This is what I found today. I'm sure there is more but I have some yet in heeps too that I can get or find easier.1105182049.jpg.cfdb93c82552e5193be79618443ecbe0.jpg

I've got a couple of those too Cody and I like them and want to get the knobs fixed on 1.

PM sent.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 12/14/2019 at 10:42 AM, JeepFo'Life said:

Hey Jeremy, I'm wondering if you're still producing radios? I've sent you a few emails but haven't received any responses. If you are please let me know, I'd love to add one of your radios to my MJ!!!

On 12/17/2019 at 8:12 AM, Fly170 said:

I have also tried to get in contact with Jeremy. I hope he is ok.

I am in fact ok, but my current job situation (working a 7-night-a-week schedule until December 23rd, and then quite likely back at it after the new year) leaves me no time to do anything with radios. I usually go to bed pretty soon after I get home each night, so doing radios after work isn't really an option either.

Here are some answers. I'll be cross-posting this to my FB page as well.

Why aren't you taking orders? I work a full-time job in addition to the radio work, which normally wouldn't be a problem. However, my current schedule has me working 7 nights a week with no days off.

If you're curious, my day(night) job is as an industrial contractor. I am currently working overnight support at a major logistics hub in the Nashville, TN area.

When will you come back? I don't know. Sometime in early 2020. As soon as I know a date, I will let everyone know.

What's the best way to get in touch with you right now? Message the Facebook page. I try to check that every day.

Are you doing ANYTHING related to radios right now? If all you need is a part that currently exists on my shelf and all I have to do is put it in a box or envelope, that shouldn't be a problem. Anything more complicated than that is not likely at this time.

Once you start taking new orders, how will you decide who gets to go first? Date of first contact, for new customers. Existing customers will get priority.

How big is the backlog right now? Mid to high double digits, including new inquiries. There are a handful of existing orders that still need to be completed.

From the 23rd to the new year, I expect to make progress on my existing backlog, but I will not be taking new orders during that time until all current orders are clear.

• 5 months later...

Attention JRE Customers! - NOW BACK OPEN FOR BUSINESS!

HOW IT WILL WORK

Jeremy's Radio Emporium will begin working on orders again on June 15, 2020. In the beginning, this will be a gradual process. My current target is one order processed per week, and hopefully ramping up as time goes on. There is currently a waiting list of over two hundred customers who showed interest in placing an order while I was on hiatus. Unfortunately, working through this backlog is likely to take some time, so a new order made right now will take some time to be filled, but that process should speed up as I work through the existing inquiries.

I will be accepting new orders (if you are not already on the waiting list) starting on June 15, but any new orders will be placed at the end of that waiting list.

I will be reaching out to customers in the order that they first contacted me. The algorithm I am using to determine this is quite clever, but if you feel as though you have been skipped, please let me know.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

Q: Why did you stop taking new orders?

A: Previous to April 2020, I held a full time job in industrial field work, which took up almost all of my time. In April of 2020, I received a medical diagnosis that means I cannot go back to that job until the end of 2020 at the very least, possibly never.
As a result, I now have much more free time to spend working on radios. To be clear, my medical condition is not life-threatening in the long or short term, it just requires me to make changes to my lifestyle.

Q: What have you been doing this whole time?

A: Aside from more personal matters, I haven't been sitting idle on the radio front either - there will be more info on that coming tomorrow. In addition, my lab setup has gotten a few massive upgrades - my shop computer has gotten an overhaul, and a few new pieces of test equipment have been added. This will enable me to do more work on more radios, more accurately than before.

Q: If I place a new order now, how long will it take to have that order filled?

A: Unfortunately, I can't say for sure. I have a backlog of over two hundred customers who "got in line" during my hiatus. At my stated goal of one order finished per week, that's four years!
Of course, not every order will take a week to complete, and not everyone who put themselves on the list will be interested in going forward with an order anymore, so not every customer on the list represents a week of time.

Q: I spoke with you while you weren't taking new orders and put myself on the waiting list. Do I have to do anything else right now?

A: Nope. When you're next, I will get in touch with you and ask if you are still interested. If you are interested, we'll go forward with your order. If not, I move on to the next person on the list. No hard feelings if you aren't still interested.

Q: Is there a way for me to tell where I am on the waiting list, or if I'm on it at all?

A: If you are curious about where you happen to be on the list, get in touch and I will let you know. I believe I have an accurate counting of who is on the waiting list and in what order, but if you feel that you have been skipped or left off the list, please get in touch.
To reiterate, the list is ordered by when you first contacted me, either by e-mail, the Contact form on the website, Facebook message, or ComancheClub message.

Q: I don't want to buy anything or send a radio in, I just have a question about an application or whether something will fit my vehicle.

A: If you are just looking for information and are not wanting to place an order, I have always responded to questions even during my hiatus. Ask away, either by posting a comment on this page, emailing me at jeremy@radio-emporium.com, or by sending this page a message.

Q: Will these changes be posted on the website?

A: I have a LOT of updates to make to the website. Hopefully that work will be finished in the coming week or two. Some new information has come to light (and I have some corrections to make to what's there now), and a lot of product lineup changes will be happening.

Q: You gave me a price quote for something. Will the price increases listed above apply to me?

A: If I ever gave you a price quote for anything at any time, that price quote will be honored forever. This also goes for any price quote I give in the future. It is my policy to stand behind any quote I give for any product or service.

Q: Why don't you offer anything with "that one wireless music technology" that's in everyone's cell phone that happens to rhyme with New Booth?

A: It's not an engineering problem, it's a legal and financial problem. I've even done it - I have built several prototypes with this technology that work very well. They receive crystal-clear music and even can take phone calls, but they are completely un-sellable.
To be legally in the clear to sell such a thing, it would cost tens of thousands of dollars in both FCC certifications (to prove that there are no harmful waves or potential interference coming from the radio) and licenses from said wireless technology's governing body. You can get various car radios that have been modified with this technology from several places, but as far as I can tell, every single manufacturer does so without FCC certification and without a license from the "New Booth" special interest group. This puts several targets on these shops' back legally, and and I don't want any part of it.
Just for kicks, if you see a product being offered for sale that advertises "New Booth" and features its logo, ask them for the FCC ID of the product they're selling and ask them if they've gone through the "New Booth" qualification process.

Out of curiosity, you're saying that items being sold in store or in new cars with "new Booth" technology quite possibly are doing so illegally?

Or are you saying that modified equipment similar to what you have done for personal use in the past

33 minutes ago, Goose_XJ88 said:

Out of curiosity, you're saying that items being sold in store or in new cars with "new Booth" technology quite possibly are doing so illegally?

Or are you saying that modified equipment similar to what you have done for personal use in the past

I will not accuse anyone of anything, however, when selling something of this nature, you are required to:

- Affix a tag to the radio with an FCC-issued ID. If the radio contains a plug-in module that has not been modified, the FCC ID of said module is acceptable. This would normally take the form of a sticker somewhere on the radio chassis. This can be matched to a freely available database, so any fakes can be found out with very little effort. If there is no FCC ID visible on the product, it can be assumed that the product isn't FCC certified.

- An RF-emitting module of this type must be shielded.

- Pay New Booth's licensing body a lot of money (at least $4000 or so) to license the branding and/or logo. Without doing this, you are not licensed to use any of their trademarks, and they can presumably sue you for not doing so. For someone retrofitting said tech into old cars, this would probably never even get noticed, but the possibility is there.

I was really interested in offering this in a radio. I built a few prototypes, and the best ones worked really damn well. I figured at some point I'd run into some red tape, so on a slow day at work (this is back a few years ago when I was in college and had several paid hours of access to a laptop a day) I did some research and reached out to a few people in the industry on this subject. Short answer: it'd cost me several thousand dollars to be fully licensed to do such a thing. Spending all of that money in licensing fees plus the very real possibility of having to have my radio tested at an independent certification lab (another bucketload of cash) on top of the cost of parts and integrating said parts into the radio means I'd have to charge well north of $300 a radio to break even... after selling a few dozen radios.

When I can offer an auxiliary input and just tell someone to plug in a $14 New Booth dongle they bought off Amazon into it and be profitable right off the bat, that headache just is not worth my time.

There is no shortage of shops doing this to car radios. Look for FCC certification tags on their radios. Look for any note that they are officially licensed by the New Booth special interest group. Ask them what the FCC ID of the module they're using is. If you get no answer (or an answer that does not match a freely accessible database) they are selling a product that is not legal for sale in the US. They probably won't ever get in trouble for it. I don't think they should. But that chance is not worth it to me.

47 minutes ago, Minuit said:

When I can offer an auxiliary input and just tell someone to plug in a $14 New Booth dongle they bought off Amazon into it

yup, this is what did in my KJ and it works great. :D   would it be cooler if the unit itself was tue blooth capable?  indubitably.  but not worth what he'd have to charge for it. :( 

20190208_205417.jpg

CHANGES TO PRODUCT LINEUP

- Overhaul of Chrysler-Era Product Line

Until now, it has been JRE policy to not sell radios from my stock without an auxiliary input. This will now change. Starting now, refurbished Chrysler-era radios, in both AM-FM only and AM-FM-Cassette flavors, will now be sold without any modifications. These radios will come with a comprehensive maintenance already performed, including reflow of solder joints where necessary, cleaning of tone and volume controls, and all-new incandescent illumination for the button panel and LCD. The front panel will be free of any major defects, including wear to the buttons. In addition, cassette decks will come with fully serviced and aligned cassette decks. Soft-Touch Button Backing, Color LED Illumination, and Auxiliary Input will be optionally available, at prices of $25, $15, and $35 respectively. AM-FM radios include a 1-year full warranty on all functions of the deck. In addition, AM-FM-Cassette radios will also carry a 30-day full warranty on function of the cassette section.

The "Enhanced Radio" branding will now refer to all radios refurbished under the above program. The Standard-Series, Special-Series, and Classic-Series brandings will no longer be used.

Pricing:
AM-FM: $115 plus shipping, plus options
AM-FM-Cassette: $150 plus shipping, plus options.

Options:
AD-C1 Adapter - to install a Chrysler-era radio in a 1986 or 1987 Jeep or AMC vehicle with intact factory radio wiring: $25. Please specify whether you would like the LCD backlight to be always on or only on with the headlights on.

Auxiliary Input - standard rear-mounted 3.5mm stereo jack for connection to a phone, tablet, MP3 player, or wireless receiver (typically replaces AM functionality): $35

Color LED Illumination - high-output LED button panel lighting in your choice of blue, white, amber, green, or red (typically non-dimmable): $25

Soft-Touch Button Backing - greatly improved button backing materials for a soft, but firm, button-pressing experience: $25

This pricing scheme does not apply to AMC-era radios due to their relative rarity and large number of variations. Orders for AMC-era radios will be priced on a case-by-case basis.

Members of Comanche Club with an account at least three months old will continue to receive a $15 discount on all orders including the purchase of an Enhanced Radio.

NEW SERVICES

- New Flat-Rate repair: Cassette Deck Tune-Up
Cassette Deck Tune-Up Services are now available for the following models:
RX-758
RX-131
RX-135
RX-141
RX-161
323-8861
RX-170 thru RX-173

A Cassette Deck Tune-Up Service consists of the following:
- Replacement of all drive belts with new production, OEM equivalent belts
- Demagnetization of play head and capstans
- Cleaning of play head, pinch rollers, and capstans
- Lubrication of mechanism pivot points, axles, and sprockets if necessary
- Adjustment of cassette playback speed (performed with a calibrated frequency counter at 3 kHz)
- Adjustment of play head azimuth
- Adjustment of channel balance, if adjustable

For all models, the price for this service is $65. All adjustments are performed to factory specifications using lab grade test equipment in good working order. If the cassette module is broken, seized, or otherwise unrebuildable, this price will not apply, and we will discuss other options.

- New Flat-Rate Repair: RX-170 thru RX-173 Loading Motor
If the cassette mechanism on your RX-170 thru RX-173 recognizes a cassette (arrow appears on the display, radio mutes), but does not load the tape, the mechanism can now be repaired for a flat rate of $35.00. This rate does not apply to completely seized mechanisms which have been forced. If you can insert the tape into the radio without resistance, it is quite likely the mechanism can be repaired at the $35.00 flat rate.

- New Repair: Button Switch Replacements
If your radio suffers from one or more intermittent or non-working buttons, the switches are likely faulty. These switches can be replaced with brand new, exact replacements for $5 per switch. All replacement button switches are covered for 12 months against any defect in function.

- Now Available: Used Radio Parts
I have decided to begin selling some types of radio parts. Please note that I do not have an endless supply of these parts, and I will only be able to offer them for sale if I have enough available to sell. Repair jobs will have priority access to parts over a-la-carte orders.

Mounting brackets
XJ (1986-1992 Comanche, 1984-1996 Cherokee, or 1984-1990 Mid-Size Wagoneer): $25
YJ (1987-1995 Wrangler): $35
SJ (1986-1991 Grand Wagoneer): $40
I have a small number of other mounting brackets as well. Inquire for details.

Volume and tone knobs
Chrysler-Era: $10.00 each
AMC-Era: $12.50 each

All part prices include domestic shipping. When ordering, please specify the exact parts you need. Also, please confirm the model of your radio via either the ID sticker or by sending a picture. All part sales are final and do not include a warranty.

PRICE CHANGES

1: Standard shipping charges for a single radio or radio-shaped object will increase to $16.70 from the previous $13.60. This increase reflects cost of shipping insurance and an increase in cost of postage. I will still not profit from shipping charges. All packages are insured for their full invoiced value.

2: The diagnostic/labor rate for repairs will increase from $25.00 per hour to $35.00 per hour. A 30-minute minimum will apply, and will increment in 0.1 hour (6 minute) blocks from there, rounded to the nearest increment. For instance, a repair which takes 35 minutes of real time will be billed as a "0.6-hour" line item. A repair which takes 31 minutes of real time will be billed as a "0.5 hour" line item.

These price changes DO NOT apply to quotes I have given at any time in the past. If my direct correspondence with you includes a price, I will honor the price I quoted for that item.

22 hours ago, RustyRodder said:

jeremy, How do we get added to the way end of the list? the 'contact us' page on your site?

Any way you can get in touch with me. PM on CC, post in this thread, Facebook message, email, contact form on site, carrier pigeon, etc.

Anything that gets across the message "add me to the list" is plenty. Even if you don't know what you want yet. People adding themselves to the list at this time will have enough time to decide what they would like.

• 4 weeks later...

Transparency Report: 13 July 2020

Projected orders shipped this week: 3
Number of people on waiting list: 98

In the past month, I have been doing a lot of work, but most of it is invisible to anyone but me - laying the groundwork to turn a dormant business into a functional one. While I would love to spend every hour of the day in the lab getting work done, a lot of emailing, estimating, planning, procurement, and other stuff that doesn't directly involve my hands touching a radio has to happen in the background. In addition, the process of turning a messy basement corner into a functional, safe, and organized electronics lab again has required several full days of hard labor among other things. That's not counting the other things needed to start a business back up. For example, I spent several hours yesterday doing nothing but scanning and stitching together schematics from service manuals.

Some selected pics of what I've been working on in the background:

L0gLRrnl.jpg

eieFWwal.jpg

In addition, R&D continues on a few new very interesting (and in-demand) projects.

Today, a major update to the website was published, bringing the site to version 20.7.01. It includes updated product line info, more (and better) pictures, and an early expansion of the Knowledge Base into the 1984-1985 AMC years. Go try and break it, and look for all of the grammar and formatting errors I haven't found yet!

In addition, I'm proud to announce a new addition to the JRE product line: Do-It-Yourself Wire Harness Repair Kits. If you have an open-barrel crimping tool (a ratcheting one is strongly recommended) and basic electrical knowledge, I am now offering a kit to restore a factory radio wiring harness to its stock condition. Included will be an OEM connector body, enough wire terminals to fully populate the connector plus some extras in case of accidents, and a wiring diagram showing proper connector pinout. I enjoy working with customers who have a DIY spirit, and I'm happy to offer professional-level materials to people who are willing and able to make use of them. Currently, kits for 1988-1996 Jeeps (excluding Grand Cherokee) as well as 1986-1987 Jeeps and AMCs are available and in stock.

nswXCqCm.jpg         4kPM4hom.jpg

7 minutes ago, Minuit said:

In addition, I'm proud to announce a new addition to the JRE product line: Do-It-Yourself Wire Harness Repair Kits. If you have an open-barrel crimping tool (a ratcheting one is strongly recommended) and basic electrical knowledge, I am now offering a kit to restore a factory radio wiring harness to its stock condition. Included will be an OEM connector body, enough wire terminals to fully populate the connector plus some extras in case of accidents, and a wiring diagram showing proper connector pinout. I enjoy working with customers who have a DIY spirit, and I'm happy to offer professional-level materials to people who are willing and able to make use of them. Currently, kits for 1988-1996 Jeeps (excluding Grand Cherokee) as well as 1986-1987 Jeeps and AMCs are available and in stock.

nswXCqCm.jpg         4kPM4hom.jpg

amc86-diy.jpg

chrysler-diy.jpg

This makes me want to redo my wiring harness and rid of the ATX connectors I used(might have to PM ya). Great work!

• 3 weeks later...

Help urgently wanted!

WHO: Someone trustworthy enough for me to loan a prototype radio to for a short to medium term real-world test. Someone who regularly drives their truck and listens to a variety of music types and volumes. Preferably, a previous customer or someone who I have had dealings with in the past. Their vehicle must have the 1988-1996 Jeep radio plug, and the electrical system must be in good condition.

WHAT: Testing of a prototype fully-automatic auxiliary input system that does not require disabling of any of the radio's features to work. I have built a prototype RX-173 with this system built in, and it works extremely well on the test bench. However, I need information on real-world performance from someone trustworthy. Putting it in my own truck and driving around is not an option at this time.

WHEN: Within the next two to three weeks. Testing term will be at my discretion, but plan on two weeks to a month worth of normal use.

HOW: I will ship (at my expense) you an RX-173 that is functional but ugly. It contains a fully integrated prototype signal-detection and switching system that provides a fully automatic auxiliary input. The cassette deck has been removed and the cassette door will be sealed closed. None of the illumination is functional. The radio will have full AM, FM, and Auxiliary Input functionality.

It will come with a bracket pre-installed, and will be ready for installation upon receipt. The tester will install the radio in their truck and use it as normal for the testing period. Upon completion of the testing period, the radio will be returned to me (at my expense).

The prototype is property of Jeremy's Radio Emporium and will feature prominent tamper-evident seals. I respectfully ask that the tester does not take the prototype apart; the circuit board inside is hand-made and could potentially be fragile. In addition, the prototype does not represent the full quality, dimensions, or design of the final product - the final product will be significantly smaller, made entirely of surface-mount components, and built on a manufactured circuit board of my design.

92gNISrl.jpg

Description of prototype function

At all times when the radio is powered on, the triggering system monitors the auxiliary input line for signals. When no signal is detected, the radio operates as usual, with all normal functions available. When a signal over a configurable threshold is present on the auxiliary input line, the triggering system switches to the auxiliary line via a mechanical relay. The relay is rated for a minimum of 100,000 cycles and in my testing has caused very little "popping" upon activation, but this requires further testing. After the signal on the auxiliary line has dropped below the activation threshold for 8 seconds, the radio will revert to the mode selected on the front panel.

The triggering system is not active when the radio is not powered on, and will cause no drain on the vehicle's battery.

As part of a self-test, the radio will switch to AUX mode for 8 seconds after being powered on. If no signal is detected on the auxiliary input during this time, the radio will revert to the mode selected on the front panel.

The prototype's auxiliary input cable is identical in layout to the standard Enhanced Radio. The cable is rear-mounted and extends from the right rear of the radio chassis.

RZ3Y6Lnl.jpg

xhQG5hQl.jpg

Please post in this thread or send me a PM if you are interested in this test.

27 minutes ago, Minuit said:

Help urgently wanted!

WHO: Someone trustworthy enough for me to loan a prototype radio to for a short to medium term real-world test. Someone who regularly drives their truck and listens to a variety of music types and volumes. Preferably, a previous customer or someone who I have had dealings with in the past. Their vehicle must have the 1988-1996 Jeep radio plug, and the electrical system must be in good condition.

WHAT: Testing of a prototype fully-automatic auxiliary input system that does not require disabling of any of the radio's features to work. I have built a prototype RX-173 with this system built in, and it works extremely well on the test bench. However, I need information on real-world performance from someone trustworthy. Putting it in my own truck and driving around is not an option at this time.

WHEN: Within the next two to three weeks. Testing term will be at my discretion, but plan on two weeks to a month worth of normal use.

HOW: I will ship (at my expense) you an RX-173 that is functional but ugly. It contains a fully integrated prototype signal-detection and switching system that provides a fully automatic auxiliary input. The cassette deck has been removed and the cassette door will be sealed closed. None of the illumination is functional. The radio will have full AM, FM, and Auxiliary Input functionality.

It will come with a bracket pre-installed, and will be ready for installation upon receipt. The tester will install the radio in their truck and use it as normal for the testing period. Upon completion of the testing period, the radio will be returned to me (at my expense).

The prototype is property of Jeremy's Radio Emporium and will feature prominent tamper-evident seals. I respectfully ask that the tester does not take the prototype apart; the circuit board inside is hand-made and could potentially be fragile. In addition, the prototype does not represent the full quality, dimensions, or design of the final product - the final product will be significantly smaller, made entirely of surface-mount components, and built on a manufactured circuit board of my design.

92gNISrl.jpg

Description of prototype function

At all times when the radio is powered on, the triggering system monitors the auxiliary input line for signals. When no signal is detected, the radio operates as usual, with all normal functions available. When a signal over a configurable threshold is present on the auxiliary input line, the triggering system switches to the auxiliary line via a mechanical relay. The relay is rated for a minimum of 100,000 cycles and in my testing has caused very little "popping" upon activation, but this requires further testing. After the signal on the auxiliary line has dropped below the activation threshold for 8 seconds, the radio will revert to the mode selected on the front panel.

The triggering system is not active when the radio is not powered on, and will cause no drain on the vehicle's battery.

As part of a self-test, the radio will switch to AUX mode for 8 seconds after being powered on. If no signal is detected on the auxiliary input during this time, the radio will revert to the mode selected on the front panel.

The prototype's auxiliary input cable is identical in layout to the standard Enhanced Radio. The cable is rear-mounted and extends from the right rear of the radio chassis.

RZ3Y6Lnl.jpg

xhQG5hQl.jpg

Please post in this thread or send me a PM if you are interested in this test.

I could probably do it if no one else wants to. I’d just need to double check that my dash harness retains the factory radio plug-it has an older style aftermarket Kenwood unit. 

• Minuit changed the title to Jeremy's Radio Emporium: Old Radios for the Modern Era