What Minuit knows about stock Jeep radios

30 minutes ago, BeatCJ said:

I suspect you have so much work with Jeep Radios you don't have time, but my Pioneer Supertuner could use some work. The volume control has some bad spots, as do the balance and fader controls. Turn them and they make static while you are touching them, they have spots where one or the other door speaker works.

Any suggestions?

By Super Tuner, do you mean the original KP-500 deck or something else?

Shoot me a PM.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 7 months later...

IMG_9322.HEICHi, I have this unit from my 87 AMC Jeep Comanche Metric Ton Laredo. It does not say RX135, but it sure looks like one? However it has a very different jeep model # of 0089556002786 not listed in your thorough write up. I am thinking of ways to have this updates with some kind of hidden DAB+ reception adapter with  bluetooth as no AM/FM signals are broadcasted in Norway...

Any tips or tricks? It had a very thick and powerful sound to it. I have changed it with a Pioneer XH8700 witch sounds nice and very digitally perfect, but has the most awful LED color-circus lights emitting from the fascia. I was also considering the "new" Blaupunkt Bremen with all the new tech in a retro box...but the original Jeep unit looks so good with its chrome details and heavy knobs...image.png.482f90ad42672be661a4f30772384f37.png

RX135_label.jpg

RX135.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys,

I'm the owner of XJ from 1996 and I had a luck to buy Radio Chrysler P56007214 -Jeep RX-173, but unfortunytly dispaly is not working well, does any one konws where I can buy dispaly for this model if this is possibly ?

Thanks for answer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2021 at 4:19 PM, ArcticMonkey said:

IMG_9322.HEICHi, I have this unit from my 87 AMC Jeep Comanche Metric Ton Laredo. It does not say RX135, but it sure looks like one? However it has a very different jeep model # of 0089556002786 not listed in your thorough write up. I am thinking of ways to have this updates with some kind of hidden DAB+ reception adapter with  bluetooth as no AM/FM signals are broadcasted in Norway...

Any tips or tricks? It had a very thick and powerful sound to it. I have changed it with a Pioneer XH8700 witch sounds nice and very digitally perfect, but has the most awful LED color-circus lights emitting from the fascia. I was also considering the "new" Blaupunkt Bremen with all the new tech in a retro box...but the original Jeep unit looks so good with its chrome details and heavy knobs...image.png.482f90ad42672be661a4f30772384f37.png

RX135_label.jpg

RX135.jpg

Hello, and sorry for the late response.

I do not have much direct experience with this model in particular, but in general the radios manufactured by Automatic Radio in Korea are of generally poor quality compared to the ones made by Mitsubishi in Japan or Singapore. It is possible that this one is an exception. It resembles the RX-135 but to my knowledge shares few to no parts.

How does the DAB adapter work? More specifics on the one you plan to use would be helpful.

On 9/16/2021 at 5:17 AM, Krzysztof said:

Hello Guys,

I'm the owner of XJ from 1996 and I had a luck to buy Radio Chrysler P56007214 -Jeep RX-173, but unfortunytly dispaly is not working well, does any one konws where I can buy dispaly for this model if this is possibly ?

Thanks for answer.

Hello,

The display for that radio is no longer available new, so any parts would have to come from another radio. The display is soldered into the front panel circuit board and can be hard to remove.

• 1 month later...

Hey Minuit,

I've been stalking your profile and website for the last few hours hoping to find that someone has already answered my question, but so far no dice. I've got an rx-173 that works perfectly fine with the exception of a burnt out LCD lightbulb and my main issue, the tape deck. On your website I saw mention of a repair for rx-173's that, upon insertion of a tape, will acknowledge there is a tape by turning off the radio and displaying the play symbol on the LCD but will not load the tape. I attempted on a whim to manually load the tape and see if the head would engage, but that didn't do anything. The belt is in perfect condition, and I haven't yet checked if the motors are seized. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd love to know if this is a problem I can fix at home with minimal effort.

1AoeEBM.jpgWqOUXA2.jpg

6 hours ago, aar0n said:

Hey Minuit,

I've been stalking your profile and website for the last few hours hoping to find that someone has already answered my question, but so far no dice. I've got an rx-173 that works perfectly fine with the exception of a burnt out LCD lightbulb and my main issue, the tape deck. On your website I saw mention of a repair for rx-173's that, upon insertion of a tape, will acknowledge there is a tape by turning off the radio and displaying the play symbol on the LCD but will not load the tape. I attempted on a whim to manually load the tape and see if the head would engage, but that didn't do anything. The belt is in perfect condition, and I haven't yet checked if the motors are seized. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd love to know if this is a problem I can fix at home with minimal effort.

1AoeEBM.jpgWqOUXA2.jpg

If the mechanism itself is not seized up (and since you were able to actually insert the tape into the deck, it isn't), this problem is almost always a seized loading motor, or more specifically, the motor reduction gear. It's on the bottom of the deck. You'll have to pull off the bracket to get to it. If memory serves, there are two screws holding the motor in to the deck. Be very careful not to strip them. It's easiest to desolder the wires that go to the motor; they should be twisted together, and where they go should be marked by color on the circuit board.

There are several small plastic gears under the front housing of the motor. You'll want to clean the "grease" (which has by now degenerated into a glue like substance) from the gears. If you put something back in, put in a very small amount of silicone grease.

The deck should now load a tape. Now you get to find out if the auto-reverse sensors still work! If yes, good! Enjoy your very nice sounding tape deck. If not, you are screwed! These are decent mechanisms by car audio cassette standards, but they have a lot of problems.