What Minuit knows about stock Jeep radios

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alright, I'll post what I have. I don't have this info for all models and some is incomplete. The source is typically the original service manual for the radios.

Tuner Sensitivity, lower is better. Unit: dB µV

RX-170: 10

RX-161: 10

RX-135: 10

RX-141: 10

3238861: 14 AM / 15 FM

Signal-Noise Ratio, higher is better. Unit: dB

RX-170: 50 AM, 60 FM, 46 Tape

RX-161: 45 AM, 50 FM, 46 Tape

RX-135: 45 AM, 50 FM, 46 Tape

RX-141: 45 AM, 50 FM, 46 Tape

3238861: 52 AM, 54 FM, 44 Tape

Stereo Separation, higher is better. Unit: dB

RX-170: 35 FM, 40 Tape

RX-161: 30 FM, 40 Tape

RX-135: 30 FM, 40 Tape

RX-141: 30 FM, 40 Tape

3238861: 30 FM, 40 Tape

Weight, lb

RX-170: 4.6 lb

RX-161: 4.4 lb

RX-135: 4 lb

RX-141: 4.4 lb

3238861: 4.8 lb (jesus)

Cassette Rewind/FF Time (60 minute tape)

RX-170: 90 sec.

RX-161:  75 sec.

RX-135: 100 sec.

RX-141: 75 sec.

3238861: 75 sec.

Cassette Wow and Flutter: 0.2% for all

Cassette Cross-Talk: 44 dB for all

Cassette Frequency Response: 50Hz to 12kHz for all

On the topic of weird stuff...

cSaR0xNl.jpg

These show up fairly rarely on here, usually accompanied by the amplifier module and the sentence "what the hell is this?"

Answer: Mitsubishi designation CZ-150, it's half of the highest-level audio system in the 1988-1992 Eagle Premier. And now I have one.

So what is it really? It's an AM-FM tuner, preamplifier, and cassette player. The radio tuner has some functions over the standard models such as National Semiconductor's DNR, the same noise reduction system used in the AMC RX-135. It also has scanning functionality as well as Dolby for the tape deck (which is exactly the same module used in the RX-170)

Since it's not designed to work on its own, it doesn't even have the ability to control the volume by itself. All of the other functions, including volume, balance/fade, and equalization are handled by a second DIN-sized amplifier/equalizer unit. I don't have one right now, but I may be getting one in the future to play with.

More importantly, it's exactly the same size and shape as the regular XJ and MJ radios. Here it is with an XJ bracket on it to prove it.

PEcVhrpl.jpg

Even better, I have the service manual!

A5x9Xfkl.jpg

It's very thick, much thicker than any other radio service manual I've ever had. Much like the mainstream Jeep units, these were unusually well-built and fairly sophisticated for a car audio deck of their time. There are a lot of things going on in this unit, and a lot of parts inside. I'll make a scanned version of this service manual available freely at some point in the future.

So what am I going to do with it? Fix it if it needs fixing, and put it in my truck of course. And I plan to document the entire process. I have a basic plan formulated in my head, but it'll take a while to put the pieces together in practice.

It works!

1JwKuHEl.jpg

The DIN cable leads to a header on one of the circuit boards. The service manual has a pinout for this header, and so it's a relatively easy job to backprobe the connector to apply power for testing purposes. It runs on a standard 12V supply from the amplifier module and draws around 0.5A at idle.

As a side note, it uses the same display and many other components as the RX-170, which in my opinion is one of the best radios of the entire 1984-1996 era. If you shine a light into the RX-170 (and maybe the later displays too) you can see the segment for the DNR function, which is used only on this model.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi There!

My uncle just gave me his 1987 AMC Cherokee and I couldn't be more excited about it.  It's generally in very good condition, but unfortunately it has an aftermarket CD player.  I'd love to replace that with an original.  Ideally I'd love to add a bluetooth mod to it but aux alone would do.  

If anyone here has any leads on where I could procure one It'd be much appreciated.  

Thanks so much!

Danny

8 minutes ago, pabitas said:

Hi There!

My uncle just gave me his 1987 AMC Cherokee and I couldn't be more excited about it.  It's generally in very good condition, but unfortunately it has an aftermarket CD player.  I'd love to replace that with an original.  Ideally I'd love to add a bluetooth mod to it but aux alone would do.  

If anyone here has any leads on where I could procure one It'd be much appreciated.  

Thanks so much!

Danny

Minuit sells them.  just send him a message :L: 

• 3 weeks later...

You may know about the Eagle Premier's CZ-150 component audio system that I'll eventually be putting half of into my truck. You may not know that there's an AMC equivalent, which to my knowledge was only found in the very high trim Renault cars for '86 and '87, the CZ-145. Here's one NOS on eBay. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980s-Jeep-AM-FM-cassette-radio-Stereo-AMC-eagle-Wagoner-oem-nos/273800407175

This is probably the rarest and weirdest thing you're likely to see in this thread. I have never seen one for sale on eBay before this one.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Chrysler radio with a date code of 1672. It has a cassette dor that says Jeep. The model # is 82201470 and the Serial # is A8700104. Product No. (CE-8649EXI).  It is a pull out style unit that slides into an Anti Theft chassis
It is brand new in the box. I am trying to find out what year and make the Radio/Chassis combination fits. The owners manual calls it a stereo cassette receiver with an anti-theft removable chassis
The volume button is on the lower left corner, with small bass and treble "pop out" buttons above. Just to the right of those is a Square Display Screen. Moving to the right of the screen is the "Jeep Auto Reverse" cassette door, with the push button controls below it. I can not even find a Jeep unit that looks like this anywhere online - I'm stumped.
The original box with the original Mopar Sticker has the copyright year of 1991 on it, so I imagine it is close to that year. I can't figure out what year and model Jeep that Chrysler made this particular Cassis/Radio combination for. Any Ideas?

B778CF80-E7B4-430C-A631-2C89E8ED8EE2.jpeg

442A9CD2-07B5-4478-BB7F-553851EA3215.jpeg

8AA59BE5-88EA-42C6-B2E6-20ECB4F74DA9.jpeg

BE9BFDAB-2642-4662-9FCD-1BA520B8BD2D.jpeg

F63D18B5-751A-4D12-BAFA-43BD134FF115.jpeg

Edited by Yonks55
I wanted to add pictures to help with the description of the radio

On 5/7/2019 at 1:16 PM, Yonks55 said:

I have a Chrysler radio with a date code of 1672. It has a cassette dor that says Jeep. The model # is 82201470 and the Serial # is A8700104. Product No. (CE-8649EXI).  It is a pull out style unit that slides into an Anti Theft chassis
It is brand new in the box. I am trying to find out what year and make the Radio/Chassis combination fits. The owners manual calls it a stereo cassette receiver with an anti-theft removable chassis
The volume button is on the lower left corner, with small bass and treble "pop out" buttons above. Just to the right of those is a Square Display Screen. Moving to the right of the screen is the "Jeep Auto Reverse" cassette door, with the push button controls below it. I can not even find a Jeep unit that looks like this anywhere online - I'm stumped.
The original box with the original Mopar Sticker has the copyright year of 1991 on it, so I imagine it is close to that year. I can't figure out what year and model Jeep that Chrysler made this particular Cassis/Radio combination for. Any Ideas?

B778CF80-E7B4-430C-A631-2C89E8ED8EE2.jpeg

442A9CD2-07B5-4478-BB7F-553851EA3215.jpeg

8AA59BE5-88EA-42C6-B2E6-20ECB4F74DA9.jpeg

BE9BFDAB-2642-4662-9FCD-1BA520B8BD2D.jpeg

F63D18B5-751A-4D12-BAFA-43BD134FF115.jpeg

I believe this is intended for a YJ Wrangler from '88 to '95. It has the Jeep/Eagle plug, and the YJ is the only Jeep I know of that they offered the pull-out radios for.

These were usually aftermarket units (Fujitsu seems to ring a bell) that Jeep rebranded as a Mopar accessory. Cool little find!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there from Thailand.

I’ve got the 56007214 from ebay.

All the parts working pretty good but I would like to ask a fews question here.

1.The display is very low lighting.

Is this the factory condition or worse ?

2.After I read the article from the 1st page ,the one has shown is very bright!

How can I get more lighting on display?

Thank you very much.

Joe

36895612-D54B-4868-837C-BCB50CA204C0.jpeg

E97FB6C8-35C4-49F3-A1F5-6164A3A29DC7.jpeg

4 minutes ago, joeboxx said:

Hello there from Thailand.

I’ve got the 56007214 from ebay.

All the parts working pretty good but I would like to ask a fews question here.

1.The display is very low lighting.

Is this the factory condition or worse ?

2.After I read the article from the 1st page ,the one has shown is very bright!

How can I get more lighting on display?

Thank you very much.

Joe

36895612-D54B-4868-837C-BCB50CA204C0.jpeg

E97FB6C8-35C4-49F3-A1F5-6164A3A29DC7.jpeg

The bulbs in the display are burned out. Very common issue on these radios.

Normally, I'd tell you to send it to me and I'll change the bulbs for you, but you're very far away. I'm honestly not sure what to tell you. I'd happily change the bulbs for you if you are willing to send it to the US and pay for return shipping, but shipping alone is probably a hundred dollars or more.

Minuit you interested in any of the double den units? I think I have two AM/FM,cass./CD players out of my 97 Grand Cherokee's. I'll have to check for sure I have one,and I think I saved the  2nd one.One is from my gold system ,and has the hook up's for the AMP trigger. Not sure if either work,but There free if you pay shipping.Let me know,and I'll dig them out for you.

1 hour ago, JEEP_cannible said:

Minuit you interested in any of the double den units? I think I have two AM/FM,cass./CD players out of my 97 Grand Cherokee's. I'll have to check for sure I have one,and I think I saved the  2nd one.One is from my gold system ,and has the hook up's for the AMP trigger. Not sure if either work,but There free if you pay shipping.Let me know,and I'll dig them out for you.

I'm not entirely sure what I'd do with them since I focus on the earlier single DIN units. I'll let you know. If there's someone else you know that could use them, don't save them for me.

9 hours ago, Minuit said:

The bulbs in the display are burned out. Very common issue on these radios.

Normally, I'd tell you to send it to me and I'll change the bulbs for you, but you're very far away. I'm honestly not sure what to tell you. I'd happily change the bulbs for you if you are willing to send it to the US and pay for return shipping, but shipping alone is probably a hundred dollars or more.

I'm so appreciate but like you said shipping will be more than 100$ ,so I'll let them be this because this is common issue and I'm just pretty happy for changing from the terrible

cd-mp3 front to the original!

You're the man!

Best Regards.

Joe

• 3 months later...

I joined this forum just so I could try and get Minuit's attention in regards to hooking up an AUX to my YJ's stock radio (model 56009004). Been trying to get them to sell me the kit they have for sale on their website for adding an AUX, but they refunded my money and haven't answered any of my emails. 

Is this Minuit person still around? I'll try doing it on my own if I don't hear back, but I was really looking forward to having everything in the form of a kit as well as some instructions. 

36 minutes ago, CherGuevara said:

I joined this forum just so I could try and get Minuit's attention in regards to hooking up an AUX to my YJ's stock radio (model 56009004). Been trying to get them to sell me the kit they have for sale on their website for adding an AUX, but they refunded my money and haven't answered any of my emails. 

Is this Minuit person still around? I'll try doing it on my own if I don't hear back, but I was really looking forward to having everything in the form of a kit as well as some instructions. 

Send him a PM. He will have a higher chance of seeing such. He’s a good man, he is also busy too, so shoot him a PM

The above gentlemen are correct. I'm currently working long hours in a pretty physical job that has me walking 7-10 miles a day, and that includes weekends too. About the most I can do right now is answer PMs on this site and emails,  at a reduced rate from before. Send me a message on this site (or another email) and I'll get back to you.

I'm just going to leave this here - I am not currently taking new orders at Jeremy's Radio Emporium. I will start taking new orders at some point in the semi-near future after all existing orders are completed. If you would like, I can let you know when I am taking new orders.

• Pete M pinned this topic