1992 Comanche daily/trail/hunting overbuild

Havent been able to do much with work going nuts. Been planning on taking the Comanche down to have her motor rebuilt but still hasn't happened. Hour and a half drive to the machine shop. Did get the turbines put on and knocked out the head liner / backboard.

• 9 months later...

Had some motivation and a death wish today (apparently I don't learn even from major injuries). Just have to torque them down and grease. Needed to get measurements so I can order front springs next month and ditch the spacers. 

Shackle Side by Side.jpg

Shackle installed.jpg

Just realized I haven't updated this thing since the motor rebuild. 

Got the motor 'rebuilt' awhile back. Had heating issues since the second I pulled it out but was assured that was normal for break in. Had to pull over a few times on the 1.5 hr trip home to avoid over heating. Replaced everything you possibly could with no luck. Finally had the exhaust tested for a leak at the manifold and was told the head gasket had a major gap in it. Called the repair shop and my calls were never returned or just ignored. Bright side is all new cooling system so won't have to worry about that for awhile. Found a guy to do the head gasket for me (will explain) for 300 bucks if I provide the parts. Cheapest I could find and he specilizes in 4.2, 4.0's and 2.5 out of AMC/Jeep. 

Fast forward a few weeks. I had an allergic reaction to the metal plate in my shoulder which cause all sorts of internal issues. While having it removed the second surgeon fount that my rotator cuff, which my first one said was fine, was completely destroyed. That sitting there for over a year plus the reaction to the metal completely destroy my right shoulder. Was told that it'll never get much better than 20 to 40% range of motion and closing my hand to hold a water bottle would be at the top of the expectations. Fun times right?

Lets go ahead another 2 months.... Was at physical therapy and the lady noticed discoloration on my surgery site. Made an appointment and found out that my rotator cuff and part of the bone had gotten infected under the skin (site was completely closed). Sliced open again, part of my collar bone was removed along with a chunk of joint. This was about 4 months ago. Since then I've been able to drive around the manual a little but going to convert to an AW4 this summer. Wife has stopped trying to get me to sell the Comanche off since I refuse to get rid of something that was almost successful at doing what a large portion of a couple countries weren't able to. Still here though. Anyway I'll keep adding to the build (won't keep on with my medical crap) as I go. Fuel pump should be here soon and after the holidays getting that head gasket fixed. Merry Christmas! 

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to bump this up to remind myself to keep it updated. Not much has happened lately. Been fighting the engine temp war now for forever. Starting to think there's an electrical issue. I could list off the stuff I've replaced but if you can think of it, its most likely been done at least once if not multiple times. Anyway I just ordered some new bilstein shocks, CavFab control arms, black magic pads, Centric brake rotors and finished up my axle shafts for the D30. Going to start torquing everything down today and hopefully get it installed this week. 

Going to use the old measurements on steering to try and get a half decent alignment until I can get it to a shop. There was a thread about control arm lengths I'm going to go off as well since there isn't a good off road alignment shop close by. Will be nice to have 4x4 again. 

D30 - 410 gears, later model shafts w/ full circle clips and larger ujoints, new spicer ball joints, ZJ drag link, ebay special track bar, RE 3.5 inch lift springs, MOOG coil pads, outer/inner seals, YJ brake lines and POR 15 over the entire axle. Thinking about welding a couple washers on the axle side track bar mount and if I could go back I wouldve reinforced the C's on the end of the housing. Eventually I'm going to get a better track bar and steering box brace probably from IronMan4x4Fabrication. 

Retirement in 29 days so I'll have plenty of time to turn wrench again!