1992 Comanche daily/trail/hunting overbuild

Appreciate it. I use a few more jack stands now and double check the metal on them for cracks. She'll be back on the weight of the tires here pretty soon as still going to have stands under until the gas tank is back in and the rear drive shaft is pulled.

Good write up so far.  Nice metal work on the shoulder too!  Love that Xray picture.

Reminded me, years ago I was told to put a wheel and tire under the car as a back up to the jack or jack stands.  Worth repeating, given your close call.

Take it you got the truck with the tilt forward GC seats in it?  I put GC seats in my truck also, but yours seem to sit lower than mine (and I like that).  Are your seats mounted on the original MJ seat mounts or something different?

Nope I put them in there. Used to have a bench seat but thats sitting in my attic. Used the original driver side bucket seat bracket. The passenger side was half the bench seat bracket and half XJ bracket. Used 1inch square tubing on the inside of the seat instead of the outside to keep it lower. Also used a chunk of the tubing to extend the seat brackets out to line up with the MJ seat bottoms so the back end would sag eventually. Ill see if I can find a pic or two 

Of course I didn't save any. I'll take some pics when I pull them out and weld everything together once it all fits decently. 

You got some brass ones getting back under a vehicle after it fell on you. Not sure I could do it. Hats off to you.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Lol yeah took longer than I care to admit and the first couple tries didn't end well. Flight/Fight doesn't really work in that kind of situation just freezing. I keep tires and jack stands all over now and don't work on it unless the wife is home. 

Ok had a couple minutes between work and heading to Kansas decided to get the shackles and shims on for the axle. When the axle was welded up the pinion angle was way to high and from what I've read thats worse than being low. So instead of grinding and getting it re welded I decided shims would work for now. Got a Ford 8.8 4.10 LSD going in the back in a few weeks so not really too concerned. Brake lines tonight, run the breather tube to a higher location, add fluid, drill out the u bolt hangers, slap on the shocks and the tires will be ready to go back on. 

Axle is sitting on the spring weight for the first time since before the accident. Got some aftermarket u bolts and they ended up being way to short. Got a second set that are stupid long and way thicker so now I have to drill out the plate so they'll fit. Planned on sanding them down anyway. 

I like it, this reminds me a lot of my truck.  What is the max height on the jack stands everyone is using? I just ordered an extra set, not paying much attention and they only go to about 17".. haven't tried them yet, but seems short to me..  Post more pictures, I love seeing new comanche projects on here!

Jack stand that broke on me was old. Didn't have any stickers or anything on it. There was a fracture in the post that I didn't see and when I was messing with the brake lines it cracked in half on me. New jack stands think they're going up to 19 inches or so. Buddy at work bought me a small 2 ton one as a gag gift. Another friend came to the house on Halloween with his kids and a Tonka truck ductaped to his shoulder. I use three ton red jack stands same ones you can get at walmart. At least 4 under the vehicle plus my floor jack itself. 

Didn't have the heart to tell him he misspelled queso hahaha (I didn't know it meant cheese in Spanish until a few years ago and used to order cheese queso all the time)

Build thread is coming along nice!

I had a similar incident with a jackstand but not with an injury...

Was trying to do a lift on my truck with no help and experience...

Harbor freight 3 ton jack failed and dropped the whole truck in the bushes...

This pic doesn't do it justice it was after I had put a tire on it to attempt to pick it back up...

Build thread is coming along nice!

I had a similar incident with a jackstand but not with an injury...

Was trying to do a lift on my truck with no help and experience...

Harbor freight 3 ton jack failed and dropped the whole truck in the bushes...

This pic doesn't do it justice it was after I had put a tire on it to attempt to pick it back up...

Dang you lucked out. Hope the jeep was alright. I lucked out too if it would've been any higher my neck would've been snapped. Lower and ribs couldve gone into my heart or something. I don't mess around with jack stands anymore. At least 4 and the floor jack pre positioned. 

Made some progress today. Rear tires are about ready to go on. Thanks to hornbrod I was able to get the rubicon shocks off. They don't fit right and was a pain. U bolts were cut down to size and brakes were tightened down. Hopefully by today or tomorrow she'll be on her own weight. Will make it easier to put in the gas tank if I can lift from the axle instead of the unibody. 

She was inside somewhere. She told me when she found me I was in the wash room (right inside from the garage/house) saying I needed to go to the ER over and over then I picked up my phone and called work to tell them I dropped the truck on myself and thought my collar bone was broken. I don't remember much until I got to the ER. Told the desk I broke my collar bone and needed to sit down then passed out. Woke up to them wheeling me in a wheel chair hitting every bump possible. Thats about when that other pic of the hospital bed was taken. 

It's good you were not pinned down. No matter how bad it was, it could have easily been much worse. But you know that I'm sure....

Nice looking rear shocks.  :cheers:

Yeah thats what I kept telling everyone when I wasn't too drugged up to talk. Front ones are going on soon too lol. Was worried about the length since I did another inch on my shackles but the 8.8 is going to have the shock tab welded up higher in the back. won't even be maxed out at full droop.

Ok probably the last update until the weekend unless we get some time off. Gotta wrench on my other beast to fix a power steering leak. On the bright side the comanche is on her own weight no jack stands (notice theres still 4 and a floor jack just incase). Going to torque to spec later and grease the rear shackle. Might move it up a notch too since the larger diameter tube on the 8.25 and the thicker leaf pack under axle dropped the back end a bit more than I expected. 

Project this week.... fun

Ok this week was kind of slow but some stuff got done. 

2001 XJ doors installed with ZJ weather stripping

Picked up a new to me bumper for 250 bucks

and the biggest accomplishment she's alive and running again!!!! Threw in a new yellow top 34/78 

Let the Wagoneer go today to. Using the money to re gear axles and fix some other stuff to get her back to full power.