So first, lemme preface this by saying that i have always wanted to build a 97+ converted MJ, in fact i have spent a few years researching the swap and i finally had things lined up to do the swap, including 2001 XJ and an 89 MJ... But life happened and i had to relocated from Florida to Kansas. 

I had spent several months using a website the searches all of craigslist looking for something interesting to pick up when i came across this. It was 1,000 miles away in New Mexico, made the 26 hour drive in 30. 

A built Comanche that had been converted to the 99 XJ drivetrain with a 2001 XJ Limited interior. Literally my dream swap. I believe that the 99' is is the best year of the 4.0. 

So these are the specs the day i bought her:

****Motor****

- Freshly rebuilt 99 4.0 bore over .30

- Bored throttle body

- High Volume Melling oil pump

- Eddlebrock duel outlet header

- High flow intake manifold

- Brown Dog motor mounts 

- IranMan4x4 Brackets

****Drivetrain****

-AX15 5 speed with a new clutch

- Np231 transfer case with Chevy HD widechain and gears

- 6 pinion planetary 

****Suspension****

- 6.5 inch lift

- SOA in rear

- Spartan lockers

- 3.55 gears

- 29 spline shafts

- Terra Flex high steer

- Rubicon Express lower arms

- Adjustable Rough Country upper arms

- Rubicon Express double sheer track bar

- BDS Shocks

****Exterior****

- Loans Metal Products front bumper

- Warn 9.5ti winch

- 4 LED Pod lights

- Bushwacker fender flares

****Interior****

- Interior from a 1999 XJ limited

- Heated leather power adjustable seats from a 2001 XJ

- Wood grain interior

- Correct two window switch installed

Some pictures from the day i bought her:

Things I have done since having her:

- Fox 2.0 shocks up front

- Fox 2.0 Steering stabilizer 

- Rebuilt the winch by replacing the solenoids and cleaning and re-greasing the gears

- Reqired the LED lights so they are not a fire hazard and work with the factory fog light switch

- Installed a WJ Overland wooden steering wheel with radio controls 

- Installed IronMan4x4 steering box brace with sector shaft support

- IronMan4x4 Steering box bracket / spacer

- Rough Country Floor mats

- Spooled up some synthetic winch line

Here are some pictures of what i have done since having her:

And this is what I am currently in the process of doing (I have the parts ready to install):

- Installing my OR-Fab bumper and warn M8000-S winch with Rigid LED lights installed on the bumper (from my old 99 XJ)

- Creating a new headboard with overhead speakers and the full length XJ limited overhead console

- Installing the stock XJ Limited tweeters

- Getting the steering wheel radio controls to work with a WJ clock spring

Some of my long term plans:

- Rear mounted winch

- X-Max fender flares

- Two tone gloss black and Rhino Line matte black 

- 4 link suspension 

- 4.7 stroker

- Dana 44 front and rear

- Creating a logic board to make my steering wheel radio controls be able to select between front or rear winch, then be able to winch out and in

Thank you very much for viewing!! I hope it was worth your time and id love to hear some thoughts and ideas! 

Love the headliner idea working on doing something similar on my build, I was curious how much head room would be between head and speaker as long as no one too tall is in there I should be good haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought about doing something like this but being 6'4" my head would be inside the speaker hole. I have the front half of an XJ Headliner in mine and the top of my ball cap touches it. I have those same seats in mine, or at least they look to be the same, and I'd say as long as someone is 6' or less this would be fine. I'm pretty sure the factory MJ buckets sit a little lower than these leather seats, at least in mine, so if running those you'd maybe get another inch or two headroom.

I thought about doing something like this but being 6'4" my head would be inside the speaker hole. I have the front half of an XJ Headliner in mine and the top of my ball cap touches it. I have those same seats in mine, or at least they look to be the same, and I'd say as long as someone is 6' or less this would be fine. I'm pretty sure the factory MJ buckets sit a little lower than these leather seats, at least in mine, so if running those you'd maybe get another inch or two headroom.

Yeah, its definitely not for tall people. I am only 5'8" and when i did the first test fit my head was in the hole. And as it sits right now, my head hits the speaker grill when i mocked it up, but only when i have the seat all the way back. So I am going to take some more off of the headboard and get the speakers as close to the window and as far behind the seats as possible. 

But you are right, the comanche bucket seats sit considerably lower. And the older style interior takes up quite a bit less room. The 97+ conversion is definitely not for very large people. It eats a good portion of the cabin space. 

I will be getting some more done on it this weekend depending on the weather, will post up some more pics when i get closer to the final fitment. 

Got the IronMan4x4Fab track bar drop bracket and brace installed today!

955dc6427f81dea1410c9b8ba5113bf5.jpg

a5d1b3e5f563de46fc6adbcdab5666e1.jpg

But I noticed this... What in the world could be causing this??

2e0344c9c3e367233bceda51a1f430df.jpg

It leans two inches to the drivers side.. I measured hub to fender.

I'm sure it's been doing this, I have just now noticed it. Tips? Ideas?

On a lift, your suspension ends up fully drooped, so the driveshaft will pull out as far as it goes. As long as it goes back in properly and sits at a reasonable point at ride height and you don't regularly completely flex out the rear axle (not sure how ou would short of high-centring the truck) I'd call it okay.

As to the suspension lean, if the truck is still on the original rear springs, they'll be a bit saggy, and given both the fuel tank and driver sit on the same side, if it wasn't normal to have passengers then the driver's side will end up sagging more. A driver my size plus a full tank of fuel is getting upwards of 350lbs more on that side of the truck than the other.

On a lift, your suspension ends up fully drooped, so the driveshaft will pull out as far as it goes. As long as it goes back in properly and sits at a reasonable point at ride height and you don't regularly completely flex out the rear axle (not sure how ou would short of high-centring the truck) I'd call it okay.

As to the suspension lean, if the truck is still on the original rear springs, they'll be a bit saggy, and given both the fuel tank and driver sit on the same side, if it wasn't normal to have passengers then the driver's side will end up sagging more. A driver my size plus a full tank of fuel is getting upwards of 350lbs more on that side of the truck than the other.

I was thinking the same thing as far as the gas tank goes. I double checked all of my steering stuff (thinking maybe that's how I messed it up) but after some mulling it over it occurred to me that it has a full tank of fuel and the tank is on the drivers side. So that will be what I look into its the leaf Springs! Thank you.

You need the driveshaft lengthened, but you'll know more if you take off the boot at the transfer case output shaft,

You should have 3/4-1" of space for movement

If any more than that you should be getting vibrations

So you think a SYE would be wise or a new drive shaft? I'm pretty certain it wasent flexed out all the way. I'm certain the shocks bottomed out before the leaf Springs did. And if I put fox shocks on the back to match the front.... It will have more travel.

You need the driveshaft lengthened, but you'll know more if you take off the boot at the transfer case output shaft,

You should have 3/4-1" of space for movement

If any more than that you should be getting vibrations

So you think a SYE would be wise or a new drive shaft? I'm pretty certain it wasent flexed out all the way. I'm certain the shocks bottomed out before the leaf Springs did. And if I put fox shocks on the back to match the front.... It will have more travel.

If you get an SYE you will have to have a new driveshaft made or your current one modified. So either way you would have to modify the driveshaft. As long as your driveline angles are fine and you don't get vibes, an SYE is a waste of money.

• 1 month later...

So I have been working on the headliner. So far I have:

- Dynamatted the roof

- Molded a new headboard with the XJ speaker bar

- Shortened a Limited Overhead Console by about ten inches

Will hopefully be putting the finishing touches on the coming days. Then taking it to be upholstered.

This was my first time tackling a project like this. And while I may have used wayyyyy more fiberglassing materials and filler than necessary, I feel it's turning out alright!

Thoughts or input for me to improve this before final installation?

3a43faddf045a7fc242073d483948a39.jpg

56876b4f7b7d4213f4ccf78a82b95c4b.jpg

0a9275b3379ccfa86d18ebffcaac35f3.jpg

36f308b6c4b044ef4678ed5d07bd5260.jpg

877973d1959b988eda68ae31fe78c8ec.jpg

3034fa61c93044e9fb20bd5f74895cc9.jpg

When I was doing initial fitment for the XJ headliner I cut up.

• 2 weeks later...

e4533e39947dd7de84a42986883edd56.jpg

Snapped a picture before work!

And thanks! I appreciate it!

KCSurfer is actually the original builder for those interested!

Here is his original ad when he sold it to the person that I bought it from

87 / 99 swapped mj limited for sale el paso tx

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=53169&share_tid=50113&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcomancheclub%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F50113-87---99-swapped-mj-limited-for-sale-el-paso-tx&share_type=t

c761623fcc01d83ff4b0244547978a3d.jpg

038fb86000ec11783deb504a80e4fa4b.jpg

eea97e3ac60c61dcd0a17120cb6fb3a3.jpg

488ec31400c7b9d3e78297d26e19601a.jpg

d58b6c05f43beacc0e90171a4fd98deb.jpg

A little sneak peak of the bumper Brandon over ScarFab is building for me! He's a pretty popular fabricator on this sight, built his MJ with the 3.3 Cummins.

Features:

- Hidden winch

- Recessed fair lead

- Baja Designs rear facing lights

- Recessed receiver

- integrated 7 pin trailer plug

- Bottle opener in the shackle mounts

I'm pretty excited for this bumper. He is hoping to have it finished here relatively soon!

Also installed this today, a new RKE board with 4 factory Key Fobs. They do all work! Pretty cool stuff.

cc999b9a55868c0d56ab800018a1b066.jpg

Where are these available like that and what do they run? Multiple key fobs would be awesome to have.

Where are these available like that and what do they run? Multiple key fobs would be awesome to have.

I bought this off of ebay from 1timberlake. He is the same person i got my overhead console from. We exchanged phone numbers and h made a deal. I traded him my old RKE board that i had with 3 remotes and I gave him some cash on top of it. But they go from 80 all the way to 150 is what iv seen these boards go for. Each RKE board can have up to four remotes programmed to it. It came from the factory with two. So having the original two remotes and 2 additional OEM remotes is pretty cool. 

I recommend just messaging him on eBay and I'm sure he can hook you up. 

I bought this off of ebay from 1timberlake. He is the same person i got my overhead console from. We exchanged phone numbers and h made a deal. I traded him my old RKE board that i had with 3 remotes and I gave him some cash on top of it. But they go from 80 all the way to 150 is what iv seen these boards go for. Each RKE board can have up to four remotes programmed to it. It came from the factory with two. So having the original two remotes and 2 additional OEM remotes is pretty cool.

I recommend just messaging him on eBay and I'm sure he can hook you up.

Wow that's not a bad price at all. I'll have to send him a message. Thanks!

Nice looking rig! for your driveshaft, talk to a shop about what measurement the need. Basically running position, max flex extended and max compressed, I reccomend finding a loading dock or something similar to flex on or a forklift.

are those truck lite headlights? how's the oitput? I was going to do a retro fit on my jeep but it would look outta place and I he waiting for the ballast to warm up

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk