Project Patience....a 90 Eliminator trail build

1 hour ago, Skorpyo said:

What rear are you going with? Sticking with the 35? I didn't see in your thread (glancing through) what your plan was for the rear axle.

Its got a chry 8.25 out of a 97 XJ. I also have a ford 8.8 sitting in my shed....but it has 3.73 gears, and i kinda need 4x4 over the winter. I'm torn haha.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Skorpyo said:

Oh man, i hear you. I opted for an 8.8 in my MJ, cause I knew I was going to regear the 30 to 3.73s to run 32s. What size tire are you planning on?

saving up for 35's

I really want to throw that 8.8 under there, but I'm hesitant, because then i would have to regear both axles immedietally to drive it. if i just keep the 8.25 under it i can still get by with my 3.55's for another year.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Swapped in the group 34 battery and the headlight buckets from my parts 96 xj. Still trying to get in to a shop to evac the ac system so I can yank the dash. Ordered a xj brake proportioning valve so i can swap in the WJ booster. Lined up the perches on my 8.8. Seems awefull close to the caliper?

20180210_130734.jpg

Finished up the Load sensing valve delete and XJ prop valve swap. I'll run like this until i get the axles re geared. disc brakes swapped on and the WJ Booster installed. Really it was quite simple, the hardest part was fitting my big hands in between the distribution valve, the brake booster and the intake manifold to get the lower rear fittings. Took maybe a cumulative of 4 hours with beer breaks and bleeding the system. This included putting all new SS flex lines on. It stops a ton better. Before, i could not lock up the tires on gravel, now i can lock them up on pavement.

• 3 weeks later...

Few fun things over the weekend....now rolling on 35's. Picked up a Welder..a hobart 190, and i ordered 4.88 gears. This 3 link flexes like a dream. If the ground wasnt sloppy, i probably could have gone up another 3 or 4 inches vertically, but this is the height where i can still turn the tire lock to lock and not clip the fender. Will see how much more clearance i get when the Napier flares arrive. pictures don't do the flex height justice. The floorboards are at my chest, and i am 5'10"

35's.jpg

35's flex.jpg

35s flex 2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gettin' ready for summer. Didn't want to fire up my diesel to take the camper in to town for a  pressure wash, so i hooked her up to the MJ. Camper only weighs 4000 fully load(water, grey and black tanks full and cargo) and it was empty. so right around 3400lbs. 

camper.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Axles are pulled and sitting at the gear shop. i should have them back in a week or so. Once i get them back, ive gotta weld on the axle perches for SOA, as well as new LCA brackets on the D30. slowly but surelly, we are getting there!

• 1 month later...

Fyi, when I had my driveshaft made I flexed it out via forklift and measured and gave him running height measurement . I THINK I told the guy I might plan on raising it a bit in the future so make it close to my max collapse number. Moral of the story, I measured with an empty fuel tank. Just happened to fill up before installing it and my ride height changed and the shaft was to long to fit. Perhaps keep that in mind when your have yours made or lengthened

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

All back together. A friend of mine had previously done an SOA on his MJ, but when switching to a dana 300, it came with its own driveline, so i bought his old driveline off him. All back together now. only a tiny bit of vibes at 65 mph+ now i just have 500 miles of break in time for the gear set, then ill change the oil and make sure there's no chunks or shavings in there. The spartan is nearly silent on pavement, aside from tire chirping on tight corners. The trutrac in the front is completely invisible in 2wd.  the slop is the auto locker is a bit exaggerated with a manual transmission, so that will take some getting used to the thud and clunk. 

geared.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got out to do a shake down run. Performed great other than blowing a high pressure power steering hose. 

The 3 link ride was phenomenal couples with a spartan and a tru track and 4.88s. The 35s just walked over everything. 

I'll have seen more pics later

20180818_125303.jpg

20180818_124814.jpg