"Estate Sale" find on eBay ... 88 Low Mileage Survivor

Not saying that it doesn't exist, there is also people that collect pinto's that doesn't change the fact that their mobile bombs now does it. Just because you have something or like something doesn't change what it is my friend, you can be more accepting than others but thats it the facts are the facts, you can dress up a turd but it's still a turd

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ggcnash, on 02 Dec 2016 - 12:43 PM, said:

Not saying that it doesn't exist, there is also people that collect pinto's that doesn't change the fact that their mobile bombs now does it. Just because you have something or like something doesn't change what it is my friend, you can be more accepting than others but thats it the facts are the facts, you can dress up a turd but it's still a turd

Different turds for different folks I suppose.  Have you started on swapping in your LS yet?

ggcnash, on 02 Dec 2016 - 12:43 PM, said:

Different turds for different folks I suppose. Have you started on swapping in your LS yet?
Yes sir got the novak headers and rad in today so my wife says, gonna pull the engine this weekend after a guy stops bye that may be intrested in drivetrain said he would like to hear it run

The only thing I like about a Renix MJ is the body style. And some of the wheels.

Interiors were better, too.

Coming from a well running 91, my '89 isn't that bad. The cooling system deserves every bit of hate it gets though.

I spoke with him yesterday again about the truck and the auction. If it doesn't sell on the auction he and I might make a deal. I am not going to reveal what he told me he would originally take for it but in my opinion the truck is worth it.   It is optioned exactly like I would order one today if they were available.

<snip>

I ordered a couple thousand dollars worth of parts yesterday for my 90 Eliminator. When I get the truck done I will have over 15k in it.  You cannot build a truck for the price of this one on Ebay.  Anyone that has built these trucks.....or any other vehicle for that matter.....knows this is fact.

anyway.......looks like there are a couple bids on the truck.  They are still a loooooong way from his reserve. Going to be an interesting weekend.

I agree with the above.  Better to buy a car/truck someone else has paid for a quality restoration than to pay for a quality restoration yourself.  If you can find the car you would have ordered (or close) in original low miles condition.  BUY IT, simply for your own satisfaction and because it is cheap in the long run.

Restoring a car or truck is not cheap.  Doing it properly is way, way more expensive than most think. 

As for those who think it is too much money or they would never have "blah, blah, blah".  Simple, you are not in the market for this truck.  So have a cup of coffee!

BTW, I have at least 4 money pit cars/trucks.  2 are looking good, the other 2 are still sucking money.

I agree like I said there are people who love pinto's it your money spend it how you wish, but letting it be known to people who just like the looks of our trucks and XJ'S that they were not all created eqaully the late 80's is a no no to most jeep guys for electrical issues

Restoring a car or truck is not cheap.  Doing it properly is way, way more expensive than most think. 

I agree with this. My 69 Chevelle was restored before we got it, and the guy admitted he broke even, barely- it still needs work, and even then its another 2-3k in parts (not including getting an original 68 L78 for it), and it wouldnt of increased the price at all.

My MJ is close to the same- I could sell for a bit more than I'm in it, I think, but only because I got a deal on paint. Been there since May, maybe it will be back one day.

johnj92131, on 01 Dec 2016 - 10:34 PM, said:

So what was the price you agreed to and he backed out of?

One of the things to think about when buying an old car in great condition is:  What would it cost now in today's dollars?

I paid $20K for a 1969 Chevy Corvair Monza Convertible with 24,000 original miles on it.  The car cost about $3050 when new in 1969.  My first new house in 1973 cost 24K or 8 times the purchase price of the car.  I simply could not buy that 1973 house for $212K today.  The house cost would be over $400K.  So when I think about the value of today's dollars - I understand that $20K is about half or less what the car would sell for if it was new today.

I spoke with him yesterday again about the truck and the auction. If it doesn't sell on the auction he and I might make a deal. I am not going to reveal what he told me he would originally take for it but in my opinion the truck is worth it.   It is optioned exactly like I would order one today if they were available.  The fact it is a Renix does not concern me in any way.    I would say to anyone that if you don't like a Renix....or bucket seats, or Pioneer hocky stick stripes, or chrome bumpers, or a Dana 44 with skid plates and tow hooks, then this truck is not for you. Find another one this nice and unmolested original that is for sale. When you do post it up for us to see.

I ordered a couple thousand dollars worth of parts yesterday for my 90 Eliminator. When I get the truck done I will have over 15k in it.  You cannot build a truck for the price of this one on Ebay.  Anyone that has built these trucks.....or any other vehicle for that matter.....knows this is fact.

anyway.......looks like there are a couple bids on the truck.  They are still a loooooong way from his reserve. Going to be an interesting weekend.

Bids are rolling - hope you get it. 

The only thing I like about a Renix MJ is the body style. And some of the wheels.

Coming from a well running 91, my '89 isn't that bad. The cooling system deserves every bit of hate it gets though.

Agreed on the better interiors.

I used to have an 89 XJ Wagoneer.  I loved that truck.  I'm not a Renix fan, but to me it's normal to have to replace a few parts as a vehicle reaches 150k, 200k, or 300k miles.  And I'd rather replace a few parts than take on a car payment for a new vehicle.

I agree on the car payments.  I retired last year and still have a house payment, my wife's car payment, and our Ford truck payment. That truck was bought last month to haul the camper and boat and  hopefully will last me for 20 years as it is for vacations etc. not a daily driver.  My daily driver right now is a 2001 XJ but my plan is to DD a Comanche. 

Agreed on the better interiors.

I used to have an 89 XJ Wagoneer.  I loved that truck.  I'm not a Renix fan, but to me it's normal to have to replace a few parts as a vehicle reaches 150k, 200k, or 300k miles.  And I'd rather replace a few parts than take on a car payment for a new vehicle.

Also agree on the better interiors. But I forgot the older MJs have much more chrome pieces than the newer ones. And that is always desirable.  :cheers:

spoke to the ebay seller just now.   The owner is now in negotiations with three different potential buyers....lol

I am not one of the those negotiating.....

In other news....I stopped at a wrecking yard 10 minutes from my house yesterday and found a Comanche with a complete unmolested Dana 44.  Cutting it out tomorrow whenever this rain stops.  Christmas came early.   :thumbsup:

spoke to the ebay seller just now. The owner is now in negotiations with three different potential buyers....lol

I am not one of the those negotiating.....

In other news....I stopped at a wrecking yard 10 minutes from my house yesterday and found a Comanche with a complete unmolested Dana 44. Cutting it out tomorrow whenever this rain stops. Christmas came early.

Awesome find Jim

HI  Everyone

I  am not sure after reading everyone post if I  made the right choice ,I am  the new owner of the 88 Comanche ,I  ended getting for 12 and change which I  felt was ok  deal  ,I  wanted to let everyone know

I  maybe selling my current 88 Comanche ,Just some facts about

1)  Rust free /Second Owner/ Truck  lived in Oregon all of its ,life / 88K  on  rebuilt engine 4L 4WD / Almost every option  available for Sport Model Auto  trans / Bucket seats ,/Center Console ./I converted

truck  to Pioneer option  truck  with Factory 5 spoke rims ,Leather steering wheel  , Upgraded Jeep  Radio  , Marchal  Fog Lights ,Interior is better then super clean  ,Rear cab light ,Chrome Front and

Rear bumpers ,The list goes on 

HI  Everyone

I  am not sure after reading everyone post if I  made the right choice ,I am  the new owner of the 88 Comanche ,I  ended getting for 12 and change which I  felt was ok  deal  ,I  wanted to let everyone know

I  maybe selling my current 88 Comanche ,Just some facts about

1)  Rust free /Second Owner/ Truck  lived in Oregon all of its ,life / 88K  on  rebuilt engine 4L 4WD / Almost every option  available for Sport Model Auto  trans / Bucket seats ,/Center Console ./I converted

truck  to Pioneer option  truck  with Factory 5 spoke rims ,Leather steering wheel  , Upgraded Jeep  Radio  , Marchal  Fog Lights ,Interior is better then super clean  ,Rear cab light ,Chrome Front and

Rear bumpers ,The list goes on

Congratulations on your new Comanche!  Welcome to the group.  You will find lots of helpful people here - even if we don't always agree.

The important thing here is you got a nice truck YOU are happy with.  Lots of different opinions about what different people want in their trucks.  Room for all of us here.

I happen to like a stock truck and don't get the need to do some of the things other people need.  And that is OK.

Congratulations on your purchase, gai092460.  :thumbsup:

Hopefully you will do your best to preserve the truck as the low mileage, unmolested time capsule that it is.  I actually cringed at the horror of some comments made earlier in this thread. 

I was gonna drive it everyday and then give it to a grandson when he turns 16 in 8 years.

Yikes!

gai092460, you got a super nice low mileage MJ that's 28 years old and is like brand new. How often does that happen? I know it's your truck to do with as you wish, but it's been lovingly maintained for a long time as an original and hopefully you continue the tradition. No lifts, bigger tires, and all the other crap that most of us do with lesser trucks. Hope you park that jewel in the Jersey winters too.  :thumbsup:

Welcome aboard!

LO PHAT, on 09 Dec 2016 - 8:15 PM, said:LO PHAT, on 09 Dec 2016 - 8:15 PM, said:

Congratulations on your purchase, gai092460.  :thumbsup:

Hopefully you will do your best to preserve the truck as the low mileage, unmolested time capsule that it is.  I actually cringed at the horror of some comments made earlier in this thread. 

Nodrama43, on 01 Dec 2016 - 05:57 AM, said:Nodrama43, on 01 Dec 2016 - 05:57 AM, said:

I was gonna drive it everyday and then give it to a grandson when he turns 16 in 8 years.

Yikes!

lol.....yeh I can imagine the cringing going on....."the horror" lol.....but different strokes for different folks. I like nice stuff....and I hate watching crap just sit around and decline from not being used.  I am way past the point in my life where I buy things for garage art.  I have some of that junk already.  When I die my stuff is all going to be worn out. Not to mention that grandsons are cool (I have two) and I have two comanches.  Can you guess who will end up with them?????

I agree Jim, I have a son that when he turns 16 my 91 will be his first truck. I know people will cringe, but nothing will make me happier to see him love this truck as much as I have, and as far as the purchase goes on the 88, gai092460 as long as your happy that's all that matters, but one thing I'm sure of the MJ's that I been finding and selling off especially h.o models my prices just went up!