Howdy, folks! Been a while since I've had the chance to start a new build thread in the "Project MJs" section, so this is kind of a big deal for me. Here's the back story on this one... A few years back when I decided that I wanted to pursue moving to Colorado I got in contact with our very own Mr. Jim Oshel. Made a visit at that point and he made the comment that he'd have a truck waiting for me come the day I made the big move. Fast forward to today, and I'm now the happy new owner of this prime example of an '86!

8e19af62c0aa05879a90bc16c309314a.jpg

Little more back story... I've been working at an offroad shop and one of the cage kits that we sell is for the Comanche. There have been more than a few times that I was asked if I could bring in my Eliminator to mock up a cage to get some pictures on our website, but I've been hesitant about doing any welding anywhere near it and it's sitting in storage right now.  Being that we've got space behind the shop for storage, I've been saying for at least the past two years that I'd come get the truck from Jim, and that I'm conveniently living in Colorado I figured it was finally time to pull the trigger. My boss was awesome enough to hitch up his trailer behind his amazing '72 Chevy, so we went for a little drive.

To be honest, I'm not totally sure what my plans are for the truck. Maybe get it running and leave it alone? Maybe do an LS swap to make for a fun new daily driver? Maybe do an LS swap, cut it in half, and tube the rear as a new trail rig?... who knows. I'm sure everyone here will be the first to know.

55414872083ecc51c89060f2f0c95c6a.jpg

44e484ccf78e829cd28b4d4f0b4f6f2d.jpg

... stay tuned, I guess.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If an engine swap is in the future (likely) it'll be an LS. Through connections  at the shop I work at, I can do a turn key LS swap for under $800. MY CURRENT WHEELER is failing me fast. This truck photographs nice, but the body is full of dimples from a major hailstorm. The only good straight sheet metal is from the lower body line and down. I'm really leaning towards putting it in the same streetable wheeler status category that my XJ is currently in, but the decision needs to be made as far as how far I'd go with it. Plenty of time though... no idea when I'll have time do anything with it.

I remember that MJ.  I saw it parked out front of Jim's garage/shed/shack and he was talking about it being a Nissan diesel swap project or something-or-other.  It was a very clean bodied MJ before the hail storm.  Sucks to hear that happened.

Is Jim still sitting on several MJ's and parts?  

Sweet!!

Throw a Mitsubishi 4M40 I4 TDI in it, AX15 and DD it.  30-35 MPG for a 30+ year old vehicle would be awesome!

So where do you pick one of these up and how much?  Never sold in the U.S. as a direct injection diesel.   Not much support in the U.S. for the engine?

That is why I have chosen the VW TDI engine to put in my original 86 MJ diesel.  Lots of support for the VW TDI engine.  Considerable number of Jeep Cherokee/TDI swaps have been done and a number of suppliers for the conversion parts needed.  Not to mention a great pathway for more power in the VW TDI.

All in all, the Chevrolet V8 conversion path is the easiest and least expensive out there.  It might be interesting to use the Chevy V6 engine, just to be a little different, but the aluminum block, aluminum heads version of the Chevy V8 is just SO attractive.  Only long term issue is keeping the temperatures under control.

Is Jim still sitting on several MJ's and parts?  

Not really. He's got a gold '86 he posted up about recently, his white SporTruck, and a blue SporTruck that I didn't recognize.

Does it come with a fancy "1 of 1" build plate and/or tailgate emblem?

Not yet! There will be some kind of "Special Edition" something-or-other once the build actually starts. Still no real plans for it... just in case anyone was wondering.  :D

Sweet!!

Throw a Mitsubishi 4M40 I4 TDI in it, AX15 and DD it.  30-35 MPG for a 30+ year old vehicle would be awesome!

So where do you pick one of these up and how much?  Never sold in the U.S. as a direct injection diesel.   Not much support in the U.S. for the engine?

That is why I have chosen the VW TDI engine to put in my original 86 MJ diesel.  Lots of support for the VW TDI engine.  Considerable number of Jeep Cherokee/TDI swaps have been done and a number of suppliers for the conversion parts needed.  Not to mention a great pathway for more power in the VW TDI.

All in all, the Chevrolet V8 conversion path is the easiest and least expensive out there.  It might be interesting to use the Chevy V6 engine, just to be a little different, but the aluminum block, aluminum heads version of the Chevy V8 is just SO attractive.  Only long term issue is keeping the temperatures under control.

I don't know, to be honest... I only recently heard about it on CherokeeForum.  I did a little research and found a thread on Pirate about it.  Said it has the AMC I6 bell housing bolt pattern, as it came bolted to an AW4/30-43LE in some overseas vehicles, and can be mated to an AX15.  Also, I've scene claims of making good power and MPG in the 30-35 range.  I'm only in the preliminary stages of my research, but so far, it sounds promising.  I only suggested Ben use it in his new found project in hopes that someone on this forum would see it and pipe up about it if they had any knowledge to share.

So where do you pick one of these up and how much?  Never sold in the U.S. as a direct injection diesel.   Not much support in the U.S. for the engine?...

... I only suggested Ben use it in his new found project in hopes that someone on this forum would see it and pipe up about it if they had any knowledge to share.

I did a little bit of looking around at this and that are pretty neat little engines! Only reason I'm set on an LS is because of how cheap I can do it.

This is awesome.

You sure there, BJ?  :hmm: This is the first MJ I've had that I've got no real direction.

• 1 month later...

But LS  :dunno:

It could still happen, but I've grown tired of playing the mismatch game of "this block and those accessories and that oil pan and... and..." The Mopar 5.2/5.9 platform is tried and true plus they fit with minimal fuss. Between ZJs, Dodge Rams, Dakotas, and Durangos there are plenty of donors too. Besides, the only reason I was thinking LS in the first place was because of the availability through the shop I'm working at. The initial price is definitely right and the aftermarket is unbelievable for the LS, but looking into every little nickle and dime piece that it takes to do a complete LS swap into a Comanche is killing it for me.

But LS  :dunno:

It could still happen, but I've grown tired of playing the mismatch game of "this block and those accessories and that oil pan and... and..." The Mopar 5.2/5.9 platform is tried and true plus they fit with minimal fuss. Between ZJs, Dodge Rams, Dakotas, and Durangos there are plenty of donors too. Besides, the only reason I was thinking LS in the first place was because of the availability through the shop I'm working at. The initial price is definitely right and the aftermarket is unbelievable for the LS, but looking into every little nickle and dime piece that it takes to do a complete LS swap into a Comanche is killing it for me.

Ah, okay. Well I know I can relate with that. I have never owned a 318 or 360 mopar, I hear good about them. You are right though about the aftermarket being undeniably stronger for the LS and making more power is easier. But when talking MJ's we don't need huge power to make a little truck go fast. Also, doesnt seem like you are crazy power hungry, just an adequate amount for a good DD. I am excited to see another 5.2 MJ arise. 

... doesnt seem like you are crazy power hungry, just an adequate amount for a good DD...

Nailed it. Unintentionally, this truck is turning into a challenge for me to see how cheap I can build it as well.

"Unintentionally" haha its hard to throw a high dollar at a piece you know youll break once everything else is upgraded past that parts potential....

That's also one of the reasons I'm now leaning towards a 5.2/5.9. My XJ will probably give up at least its axles to this build as well. Being that they put the 5.9 in front of a Dana 30 and the crap-tastic aluminum housing Dana 44 in the ZJs, it would fit quite well with my axles with 4.56 gears and 35s. One thing that I really like about my current wheeler is that the parts are easy to find and relatively inexpensive to replace. I'd like to keep that going with this one.

That's also one of the reasons I'm now leaning towards a 5.2/5.9. My XJ will probably give up at least its axles to this build as well. Being that they put the 5.9 in front of a Dana 30 and the crap-tastic aluminum housing Dana 44 in the ZJs, it would fit quite well with my axles with 4.56 gears and 35s. One thing that I really like about my current wheeler is that the parts are easy to find and relatively inexpensive to replace. I'd like to keep that going with this one.

I like it! I am excited to see where it goes. 

I know I won't be the only one to eventually wonder about that tow rig, anything cool about it? other than its a cool old chevy of course

I know I won't be the only one to eventually wonder about that tow rig, anything cool about it? other than its a cool old chevy of course

It's my bosses truck. '72 long box with a 6.0 LS, 4L80, CUCV axles, and 37s. The thing is a beast.

It's my bosses truck. '72 long box with a 6.0 LS, 4L80, CUCV axles, and 37s. The thing is a beast.

it looks pretty sweet and it has the drivetrain to spare

I was actually fortunate enough to meet the second owner of the first 5.9L swapped MJ I had ever heard about, seen here: http://comancheclub.com/topic/17566-360-fuel-injection-build/
I saw it for sale on eBay a couple months back and it had made its way to a different part of the country (I forget where now).

Here's a couple of pics from a Jeep Meet & Greet I did from 3+ years ago:

1780637_1417390848509539_593715082_n.jpg

10003311_1417390885176202_1959004543_n.j