October 2016 ● Dadinator's '90

Greetings, all! Another month... another member to shed some light on. This month is all about the thought of keeping things alive. No, I'm not talking about the puppy that you go back to Mom and Dad's place and be pleasantly surprised that it's still alive... or am I? Sometimes that little guy just keeps chugging along!... with a little help from a little R&R from time to time... and hip replacement... and then another... and then glaucoma surgery... and then... Anyhow, sometimes these trucks need a little help to stay on the road. This month is all about...

ferro-rosso.regular.png

YEAR/MODEL● 1990 Pioneer

ENGINE/PERFORMANCE ● 4.0 Stock

DRIVETRAIN ● Originally AW4 - Now AX15 - 4x4 - np231. Non disco D30 front. D44 rear. Big Ton package.

COOLING ● Stock

ELECTRICAL/IGNITION ● Stock

SUSPENSION/STEERING ● 2" pucks in front - Chevy drop shackles in rear.

INTERIOR ● '01 Dakota seats - home made headliner - 8 ball shifter and ball transfer case shifter to match. Came off an old Troy Bilt tractor.

BRAKES ● Stock

LIGHTING ● Bumper and roof lights. 1 facing rear for bed.

EXTERIOR ● Stock from multiple vehicles. Bedliner and tool box. 1st gen Dakota rear bumper. Front Tow hooks with custom brackets.

WHEELS/TIRES ● TJ Gambler rims 15x8 - 31" Cooper AT3's - great tires.

MISCELLANEOUS ● Truck has been in family since new. My father in law bought it new. I bought it from him for my son and then got it back years later. Was kind of a basket case after my son got done with it. Have built it into a reliable work horse (old mule). Contains parts from several XJ's, several MJ's, a TJ, 2 Dakotas, a lawn mower and a dishwasher. The only major things left from the original truck are: frame, doors and doghouse, hood, 1 fender, engine and rear end.

FULL BUILD THREAD HERE

Remember That One Time?... Tell Us Your Best MJ Story ● The truck is a story in itself. See the family truck in the builds section for the whole story.

CC is Awesome!... Why Do You Think So? ● Best forum on the web that I have been on. And I have been on a bunch. Have learned a lot from members, sold some stuff, bought some stuff and hopefully helped a few folks along the way.

I'll be honest... I'm a sucker for a put-together kind of truck. The "Energizer Bunny" mentality behind it really shows how these trucks can continue to live on when the owner makes the decision to make a real commitment. Hat off to you! How many other vehicles are out there that people continue to build, rebuild, rebuild again, and probably rebuild at least one more time just because it's a part of the family. Congratulations, man!

-Ben

This post has been promoted to an article

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • kryptronic featured this topic
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello Comanche Club!

I’m the proud new owner of Dadinator’s 90’ Pioneer.  His son was a highschool classmate of mine and when it came time to sell, I was fortunate to be able to purchase it : )  A big thanks to the original owner and his family!

Here’s an update: Since, purchasing the truck, I ditched the pressure bottle and switched to an open cooling system.  It got a new water pump, thermostat, and incidentally a new oil pump in the process.  I also installed a pcv valve and a larger hose because the old, small hose was clogged and the engine was spitting oil on the air filter.

It’s running great as a weekend warrior for hunting, fishing, camping, and projects.  Next steps:

1-      clean off the light rust on the undercarriage and then paint it or otherwise preserve it

2-      Add Eaton TrueTrac LSDs to the Dana 44 and Dana 30 axles (they have 3.55 gear ratios I think)

3-      Maybe: upgrade to a 4.5” lift and 33” tires (but I don’t want to lose road handling ability too much, thoughts?)

I’m open to suggestions, advice, and I’ll definitely buy the right locker or lsd if someone has it available.
send texts to 270 945 7464 if you have something for sale please