1988 MJ restoration

Hello all,

Just wanted to say hello to everyone.  I purchased my first Jeep when I was in the Army, a 1989 Jeep Comanche new.  I drove that truck until it got wrecked in an accident, it had 396,000 miles on it :(  Well a couple of weeks ago the girl friend and I went to South Dakota( we live in Minnesota) to pick up a 1988 Comanche that we bought on Craigslist for $300.00.  So now the restoration begins!  I will post photos in a bit.  Nice to meet all you! 

Welcome to the madness!   Lots of knowledgeable people on this site who are willing to help without an attitude. Since you had an mj for nearly 400k I think you probably know a lot about you just did to your free weekends!  

Buck.

• 1 year later...

I need some help in finding a couple of parts if possible...  The truck had step bars on it that we liked, so we had them re chromed and they look great.  I just need to find new step pads and can find not part number on any of the parts that we do have.  The step pad is a 2 part piece, it has a metal backer plate then the pad goes on top of that.  Here's a photo of the backer plate.  It is 17.5" x .3"

stepbar.jpg

Amazing job prepping this MJ. It's awesome to see you putting in the time and effort to do every detail right and making this truck last.

I'd guess that the step bars are DeeZees, but even if they aren't they look like these might fit:

https://www.deezee.com/product/step-pads/

Great work so far, I'll be keeping an eye on this build!

• 5 months later...

Here a few photos of some of the mods we are doing to our MJ :)

We are going to be using our MJ for pulling our travel trailer around the country, so the restoration and build are in that direction.  The only off roading we will be doing to get to a camp site. 

To do the double din mod required modding the defrost duct, dashing openings and changing the climate control panel to a 97 Cherokee.  The MJ control is to deep to fit in the location needed.

We used the factory rear speaker mount and then welded speaker rings over them, then cut away the parts of the bracket that weren't needed.

The dash clock has been replaced with a transmission temp gauge and the cigarette lighter was replaced with a USB charging port. 

IMAG2072.jpg

IMAG2067.jpg

IMAG2070.jpg

IMAG2068.jpg

IMAG2066.jpg

IMAG2064.jpg

IMAG2063.jpg

The climate control part of the bezel does not look like we will have to change it.  For the deck we are using uxcell® Universal Double Din Frame Trim Surround Black 230mm x 168mm, that can be cut to the shape and size you need.  It will be a while before we post photos with the bezel installed, just getting everything mocked up for wiring and cables.

trim bezel .jpg

Working on make a part 3 YouTube video...

A few photos until then... It's off the rotisserie and mounted on the tires and rim it came with until we pick up the new rims and tires.  Once we get all the interior wiring done, will install the front and rear glass.  Then start on the painting the doors.  Once the doors are on will be having the upholstery done.  While that is getting done we will bring the box in and start on that.  We changed the interior trim color from light gray to dark slate.  The cab paint is done except for the final buff which we will done then the door, hood and fenders go on.

Here's a link to a few photos of the progress so far.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pvoj4OE7k9zHDsK73

3 hours ago, TheKelly's said:

The dash clock has been replaced with a transmission temp gauge and the cigarette lighter was replaced with a USB charging port. 

very useful mods these days hehe, who needs to know the hour and cigarettes anyway? :L:

Fast etch is a great help when dealing with rusty parts that you don't won't to sand blast.  Both steering column I have are rusted in the same areas, all the parts had just about the same amount of rust on them.  The photo show the untreated vs the treated. 

IMAG2123.jpg

• 1 month later...