86 2.5l 2wd restoration/work truck

Hi guys I'm Kelsey. Ive been around xjs and mjs for years I built my curret daily driver from stock, which is my 2000 xj which is also modified for offroad. I has a clayton pro series 3 link suspension with 33" inch tire, moab wheels, swing out tire carrier and xj dana 44 rear end. I even swapped the bad 2000 xj 0331 head motor out for a 1995 block with a 7120 head and put a hp dans 30 in front. It has an overhead console with full leather interior from a limited xj as well as the infinity sound system. The jeep also has an onboard c02 tank as well as a factory ramsey winch i took off a 1990 xj. here are some pictures of my xj....IMG_5866_2.jpg

IMG_20661.jpg

I also built my girlfriends 1998 xj from stock which features a  2 inch heavy duty old man emu lift with 31 inch mastercraft tires as well as factory skid plates and tow hooks. This jeep did not run when we first got it as it had a warped head which i replaced two years ago....

IMG_50041.jpg

Now onto the imporatant stuff! I have wanted an mj for years and this one came along. I picked up this truck for two reasons...

1.the price was right.

2. I felt bad for the poor little truck.

This is the lame duck of the mj world. a 2.5l 2wd lwb with an ax4. If it were my choice i would have gotten a 1991-1992 4x4 eliminator with an ax15 but i don't have that kind of luck. Here she is in all her rusted out glory....

20160827_125041.jpg

The important stuff is all there! taillight and tailgate are fine along with the cab corners! The bed will get a bondo job and i will rattlecan the whole truck so it isnt such an eyesore. one i replace the doors and floors i will stat buttoning up the interior with a complete grey swap from an older xj. It will eventually get an ax5 and np231 and pioneer decals. Here is a video of part one!

https://youtu.be/WJLbk6GbN_Y

Screenshot_20191230-222842.png

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i decided i do not like the black and have decided to switch to white. I took a ride to a nice guy who lives near me who is parting out a bunch of comanches. He had a MINT condition 2.1 diesel mj at his shop that he is keeping for himself. I bought a nice set of leaf springs off him since mine are broken and missing leafs

20161006_224325.jpg

20161002_201158.jpg

decided i hate the black. tore the nose apart again and sanded and sanded and sanded and sanded and re painted with white. I'm digging the white alot more. it hid the  body work and will look nice after i order the pioneer decal set from pheonix graphics...the end resulut while hopefully look something like this:

8792jcmp.jpg

I have already hoarded the wheels that are on that comanche but i am unsure if i will use them..

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

well i got the crappy body work done on the bed which will be fine untill i fine a new box. I also picked up a set of old man 3"xj coils for the front. I am going to do an aal shackle combo in the rear.

all i have is this terrible pic because whenever i have time to work on it its like dark at 3 o clock in the afternoon. I am still on the hunt for some rust free xj doors.20161126_171725.jpg

• 3 months later...

Installed some OME 2" front coils from a zj so they netted me 3 inches of lift with the new leaf springs and rustys add a leaf I'm sitting nice and level. I had some random 3 inch lift shocks lying around which worked prefectly! I also got him some new doors and floor pans from classic2current to further combat the rust 20170429_193656.jpg

today  I worked on switching over the manual regulators and glass. A major PITA because the manual regulators had rivets which i had to drill out and nut and bolt into the new doors. Also my new doors, although rust free, were at some point a storage facility for a squirrel as they were chock full of acorns! The cab is 90% ready for paint now. also got at all the rear lights functioning. 

20170506_185402.jpg

20170506_194622.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

actually the bed is pretty shot. you can't tell from the pics but i patched a lot with both welded panels and bondo. I'm will be mountîng it with some through bolts and steel plates. don't worry i will be rustproofing and reinforcing the proper areas.

actually the bed is pretty shot. you can't tell from the pics but i patched a lot with both welded panels and bondo. I'm will be mountîng it with some through bolts and steel plates. don't worry i will be rustproofing and reinforcing the proper areas.

You're over the hump, keep that baby coming she's looking purdier than a speckled pup...

Great JOB STRICTLYXJS

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

thanks! i wish i could make a ton more videos but ive been doing most of the work at my job (jeep shop) and its awkward filming and talking with people around. i just bought a house and I'm in the process of building a shop out back so hopefully i can make a more videos of my projects.

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2017 at 7:48 PM, strictlyxjs said:

the state of ri valued my mj at $8000....i had to pay $500 in taxes but its registered and home now.

Wow, that's crazy! In VA my MJ was valued at $2000. I wonder where these states get their value systems...

PS. Your MJ looks great, I really like the black fender flares. I am planning to strip and repaint mine black too to give the MJ some tone. Well done on this MJ!

They go by nada value in fair condition which is bs....i did not know they would value it so high.its still a POS to most people. they gave me a form to have a dealer appraise it so i an get my money back. one dealer i spoke with appraised the truck at $1000 without seeing it. my friend who is a dealer is going to fill out the paperwork for me and give an "honest" appraisal lol