86 diesel MJ on it's way to new home

johnj92131

Wow, I would like to see that pic -

I had some cooling system issues until I PROPERLY topped it off with coolant.  Turns out I never filled up the heater core - who uses the heater in Southern California?

After that, the cooling system was under control.  Still got warm on climbs - but not too bad.  Once I dropped the diesel - I am back to normal running conditions.

MPG while towing was 14-15 on just about every tank.  So towing cost me 5-6 mpg over "normal".

trust me, I tried to find it. :(  guess I'm on too many jeep pages. :doh:   what days were you driving in what states?  maybe that will narrow it down.  I can't imagine there were too many MJs towing MJs in the last few days. :yes:

My route from Port Angeles, Washington to Tacoma, then pick up I-90 and I-94.  From about Green Bay, Wisconsin I went north around Lake Michigan into northern Michigan.  2352 miles according to Google and that doesn't count the ferry trip from Victoria to Port Angeles ($169 one way towing the MJ).

Link to Google Maps.  Hope it works:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Port+Angeles,+Washington/Johannesburg,+MI+49751/@44.8600972,-90.6089558,10z/data=!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x548e520cc0e7e747:0x5dbc618c634fa5d9!2m2!1d-123.4307413!2d48.118146!1m5!1m1!1s0x4d353057a2490411:0x81fdae87dfad0f4e!2m2!1d-84.4556356!2d44.9857311?hl=en

After dropping the diesel at the shop, the plan was to drive to the airport in Chicago, park the Comanche and fly home. The drive the 96Passat engine donner to Chicago, pick up the Comanche and tow the Passat to the shop for the engine transplant.

Things did not go quite as planned. The Passat lost a head gasket 150 miles into the trip. So I rented a car to get home, then flew back to Chicago to pick up my Comanche at the airport.

After I flew back to Chicago and picked up my 91 Comanche. I went on to the TDI Club's annual convention in Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin.  While there I got a line on a 98 TDI engine at the bargain price of $250.  Best news was it was only an hour away from me.  So Sunday I made a 3 hour side trip and purchased the engine.  Here it is in the back of the Comanche:

Turns out this is more than just an engine - it is the complete front drive power train.  Includes transmission, radiator, engine computer, dash panel, accelerator peddle, battery terminals.  Even includes a start switch to test run the engine on the pallet.  Just add battery, fuel and ear plugs (no Muffler). 

So this was delivered to the shop that is doing the engine transplant on Monday (Labor Day).  Then I was off to Charlotte, NC to pick up a 2 wheel drive AX-15 transmission from Rymanrph - link: http://comancheclub.com/topic/23788-ax-15-2wd-nc/

From Charlotte it was off to Savannah, Ga to pick up a Wildernest Camper shell that is destined for the 86 diesel MJ.  The Wildernest made the journey home to San Diego.  I left Savannah at 11:00 a.m. Eastern time on Wednesday and pulled into my driveway at 2:00 a.m. Friday morning.  Only managed a couple of cat naps in rest areas along the way. 

No kidding. Started the journey at 218001 miles. Back home at 226750 or so. This is my second transcontinental trip of the summer in the Comanche. First was San Diego to Boston and back. Never expected to be driving the truck this much. Not too bad for a 25 year old truck

Not too bad for a 25 year old truck

That's a gross understatement. :cheers:

How's the Wildernest look?

It looked better than expected in the pictures I did get.  Have not even opened it up since I got it.  It is on the pad in the back yard, Won't get around to using it for quiet a while. 

One thing I did notice is that the main part of the shell does not quite match the cab profile of the Comanche.  It is a couple of inch short at the top and just a bit narrower at the top of the cab.  Found a serial number on the shell but no model number.  Length of the shell is an exact match for the bed as is the width.  Need to get some information/pictures from others on the club with a Wildernest.    Know Rob has one and "think" neohic has/had one.  But he has been busy with his move to Colorado.

My goal with the diesel MJ and the Wildernest camper is a trip to Alaska along the Alaska Highway.  Wanted to do that trip since I was in high school, so maybe next summer everything will be set to go.

• 2 months later...

Absolutely stoked to find this post! I've been searching since you passed through North Dakota on August 28th. Here's the pics I took! I am still new to the forum platform but would love to here more about this! 

Hi 895XJ,

Welcome to the Comanche Club!  Glad you found your way here.  Did notice a couple of people giving me a close look on my trip.

Sent you a p.m. with the latest info - not much progress since the last post.  Except my wallet is considerably lighter.  Purchased the TDI to AX15 adapter kit from Gastodiesel and it arrived at the shop a few days ago.  Still have not shipped the AX15 trans to the shop.  Expect to get that done just after Christmas.  One other piece of progress - the TDI engine has been run on the pallet/engine stand.  The alternator was frozen and needed to be rebuilt and the engine needs new injector nozzles.