Nused XJ and weird mirrors

Yesterday I sold my boat to fund a vehicle for my step daughter. In the process of doing a trade I found this little 2wd 96 XJ. Clean with only 150k on it.

9eb9c14d2b8ad2dcb8a471f77b8820fd.jpg

We struck a deal and I bought the little guy for $1700. Sold the POS boat for $1800 so it was a good day.

Got it home and swapped on some nicer wheels and tires.

5643f00cbdef85d0974748acd59c3f9d.jpg

On the drive home she started to run a little warm with the AC on and the driver's side mirror was floppy. I knew then I needed to do a junkyard run. The wife and I went to my local yard and picked up a 98 E Fan, door limiting strap, MJ tail lights and some 97+ mirrors.

9d91d2d91e73ba74a47f79af57a309d1.jpg

These ones had a slight difference in their appearance though...

c56c9cf26ab93b76875647c9ed2d877e.jpg

They came off a Canadian Jeep in the California desert. The data tag on the driver's door was in Arabic as well.

I think they're pretty cool!

um...........can you post some pictures of the jeep they came off of? door tag?

Not that this really matters but its all really interesting, thats clearly an export vehicle mirror...what tail lights did it have? thats a really odd vehicle to wind up back in the US......

I think it's a regulation mirror with an export glass. The exports that went to Saudi and the UAE had to have Arabic writing on everything to register them. My daughter just returned from the UAE and saw some XJs there like this on the base. But yeah, how it ended up in the US is interesting.....

That XJ is a nice, clean find!  Sure is amazing what a set of wheels will do to a vehicle.  I like it!

I gotta say though...... I couldn't put that mirror on.  Stirs up bad feelings.  The travels that arabic XJ has had would make for an interesting story for sure though.  

I wonder what a Carfax report on that one would look like?

At work, we had a mirror replaced on one of our trucks years ago. Got a good deal on the glass with Arabic writing so the boss went that route instead of paying high dollar for the English version...

The outside is very clean but the interior was nasty. I spent a few hours this morning scrubbing the seats and carpet. I used a mixture of Blue Coral Wash and Wax and Dawn. It worked very well. I used my shop vac to get most of the water out.

d3dce82387ede4ff459a22c229cd74bf.jpg

d8952524caec0fe61abfb300a168da93.jpg

51ed60faadd263fb14d8650e7d270e15.jpg

b3e14d774d5b4964197645d28b2c34f6.jpg

The seat was still really wet in this pic. It lightened up a lot more once it was dry.

268012c225fbd4792cf17d53fa3c2ca2.jpg

I had to give some love to the 4.0 while I had all the tools out.

5d36b66d1a9ad5dfa407fb73c748ab04.jpg

Thanks Don. I did them in the Jeep. I just sprayed them down with a hose, scrubbed with the Dawn, let sit for 15 mins, rinsed them with the hose while sucking the water up with my shop vac. I had to do this three times to get the tar/grease out of them. I kept going over them until I could not see any more water being sucked out.

I drilled a hole in my vacuum attachment so I could watch the water being removed. It worked dam good.

Damn right it worked good. Sounds like a good plan (been putting cleaning the carpets off for a loooong time).

You got an excellent ride for your step daughter. Looks just like the XJ Sport I bought new in Guam from AAFES when I was there. The Ravines look great on it too.   :cheers: