project "why can't i leave things alone"

got off early and put some time in towards the jeep. Got the driver side stifferners all welded up, finished welding the floor pan in on bottom and seam sealed it. ALso paint the bumper. 

Cleaned the tow rig up after work. Last weekend i did some donuts in my buddies yard and dirty up the truck some lol looks good now.

while welded underneath the jeep i noticed a weird smell. so got up and checked it out. Ended up melting the hood release to nothing lol melted some wires to but not using that harness anyway. lol whoops

Think I'm going to pull headliner and sell it. its brand new and don't wanna mess it up if someone could use it. 

bumper painted and looking good. had to mod it to fit my 10k winch a lil. can't wait to put it on and leave it on.

After i cleaned up floor i tried installing my 99 seats but they were in terrible shape. the frame was broke and the mount bracket was booger welded so ill use my mj seats for now. Redid the front mount brackets 

Think I'm getting off early tonight so ill finish welding the front pass stifferner on and start on mid section. 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

started on the passenger center section. kind of a pain in the butt.  GOt it tacked in and then moved on to engine bay area. Got tired of getting burnt lol got the ac and alt bracket painted and the header studs bolted on.  Got the rockers torqed down and vc put on. Removed the crappy 88 mj brake master and started getting the 99 booster and master ready. Also pulled the 88 wiper motor. I should of done all this when the jeep was sitting on 33s . need a damn bucket to reach anything and I'm 6'3" haha

Cleaning all the undercoating was fun. Used a wire wheel on my grinder and it knocked it out fairly fast. Got the unibody all cleaned and ready for center section.. GEtting the center section on wasnt easy. I tacked to sides but it leaves a big gap on bottom so had to use a board and jack to bend it into place but it mostly just lift the suspension.  So i used a come along and made the suspension from dropping and that helped it bend it with out raising jeep to ceiling. I notched around the cross member cause i plan to weld it to the stiffeners and then weld a 3/16" plate over both of them. I seen horror stories of the cross member bolts ripping out the threads on the nuts so makin sure this doesnt happen to me. Didnt take any pics does it was a dusty mess. 

grinding off the old control brackets isnt any fun btw .

pulled hood cause it slammed shut and the hood release was melted a few days ago so i pushed it it the engine bay and that was fun trying to grab it to open hood. lol

rockers all tightened. 

Valve cover on. Also got the core support cover thingy on and rad in place.

wiper motor out. need to weld in the bolt for new dash bracket and run some sealer in there so it doesnt leak.

I'm pretty sure my engine is tilted but the crossmember doesnt have a drop and using stock trans mount from 5 speed. need to double check and see if they are same for auto.

snapped a quik pic before leavin for work. God i love that rear. don't mind the huge mess of metal and dust from my jeep under it. lol

I air that tire up to 20 psi and it made it alot bigger. did have any air in it before. but when its centered you can see both tail lights perfectly. Going to mount 3rd brake light and license plate bracket on swing down. Hoping to have enough room for my rotopax to back there. 

HAHA I don't mind. They a lil dif on xjs but basically the same setup. ill look at a few threads before i commit to cutting out rockers. 

I messed with jeep a lil last night. Got the ac bracket on and the alt bracket put on last night. NOticed my ac compressor i got doesnt line up with the holes for some reason. need to look into that. Think i pulled ac off a 93 ho and bracket off a 97. also tried installing the horseshoe intake and noticed my header hit. IDK if the 97 header works with 99 intake. need to spend a lil more time with that to see if i had in wrong place or what. 

Messed with the booster and master setup. I have a 99 booster and thinking about running a dodge 3/4ton master on it. Not sure if itll work yet but figured it would help with all 4 disc. Also need to run to junk yard for a zj disc brake proportional valve.

97 Intake fits like a glove but thinking about buying a new header anyway so might just go with 99 stuff.

Found all my plug wires. not in fire order yet just making sure i had right ones. 

pic of crossmember and unibody stifferners. should we welding with up solid soon.

I'm pretty sure my engine is tilted way back but don't know why. any one think same thing? i jacked up trans an inch but still seems tilted.

not alot been done. Been sick all week and hard to get out in the garage to get anything done. Got the fire wall painted and started on the passenger floor. 

Ran into a couple problems. This intake gasket is for a 99 and i guess the 97 intake gasket is dif. so luckily was able to take back for pre 99 one

tried shaving off some material off the 99 intake but still won't fit. so rocking the 97

pulled rest of interior out

Also picked up a new buggy hauler for the manche.

last night i got off early and was loving the weather so pushed the mj outside and cut the floor out with the plasma .

That cali lean tho. KInda bro'd out right now. Not liking the bro truck status so prolly lower the front. The rear is real soft with all that extra weight. 

the leaves from my donor xj. 8" rustys leaf pack. think the added 2" blocks did this.

well ended up fixing the seat belt bolt that snapped off inside unibody and replacing floors. think i am done with the floors for now. Moving on to sliders tonight. Here is last nights progress. 

crap floors

scraped all the sealer off.

cut with plasma

tap with hammer and bam.

big hole

spot welded into place and fixed that dang busted bolt. cut a hole around where nut was and welded a nut to a plate and welded it to body. seems pretty solid.

front one\

now tryin to figure out where to cut for my sliders. i want them up high as posssible but don't wanna spend alot of time messing with this step. 

We will see tonight where i cut

i wanted to get these done so i can start on tubing in the bed and exo. It all ties into these sliders. 

I actually got pretty far for only an hour worths of work. 

just made a tape line and started cutting. Still need to cut inside more

this big feller was watching me. 

i think they look pretty bad @$$ right there. Got to figure out a good way to brace them and then cap the ends. i need to check and make sure the seat belt bolt won't hit it if it doesnt than i am going to plumb it for air tanks. 

well try to finish this one up tonight.

not alot done last night. capped one end of slider and mocked up some tape bars lol

fancy

massaged the inner fender a lil

Perfect lil step for the short GF lol

idk what I'm doing tonight. try to find a length to cap rear and finish that and make some mounting brackets so it ties into stiffeners .

Got the passenger side nearly complete and plumbed for extra air. DId the math and think its around 3.5 gallons per side.

holding 150 psi

Tacked in and no more jack stands. Made some brackets to tie into stiffeners also

Cut it kinda short to allow for 40" tire clearance in the future. 

I think they turned out awesome. can't wait to bash on them . 

sitting in place. need to sand lip of rocker and drill and tap for air fittings and check for holes.

Getting the dana 44 ready for new upper mounts, track bar mounts and steering. Ordered the 7/8" hiem set up from ballistic along with track bar mount and some shack tabs. ill start messin with this once i get sliders done. Itll prolly be ready for paint soon. 

haha ya i added u on facebook. I seen u live in same town as my mom. haha I work 2nd shift and work 7 days a week so late nights is the only time i work on it. Ill be going to days in next few months so ill be working on it during normal ppl hours lol

Got the driver side all welded in. just need to make some lower brackets for stiffener tie in. 

well last night i started on the braces for the sliders.. turning out pretty decent

passenger side also done. Tied into stiffener and floor pan also.

lil  better with flash

started on mid section tie in. both welded up and will grind smooth and install tonight. Not sure if ill make rear ones yet. might order bed section stiffeners soon. 

Well got the center section tie ins all done and welded up . Turned out pretty good . and ended up cutting the pinch seam and welding bottom side of rocker to slider also. 

Started working on some more sanding getting interior ready for paint and the rest of body prepped. kept running out of air with my cheap harbor freight 26 gallon so added about 8 more gallons to it for sanding. worked out perfect haha. 

love sanding 

Floors are pretty much all sealed up. The Raptor liner will take care of the rest. Doing some sanding of clear coat for bed liner to stick to them think its ready for some coats of paint and than maybe time for interior to go in. Getting excited. 

Also still waiting on my steering heim joint kit from ballistic and going to redo track bar and my uppers. The long arm uppers just arent long enough for where i want to put the mounts so Going with 7/8 heim at arm side and bushing style at the truss. also going to be redoing the track bar with offset axle mount and outside of frame mount with 7/8" heims. Will be ordering all this and some REID high steer knuckles very soon. 

Well got the center section tie ins all done and welded up . Turned out pretty good . and ended up cutting the pinch seam and welding bottom side of rocker to slider also. 

Started working on some more sanding getting interior ready for paint and the rest of body prepped. kept running out of air with my cheap harbor freight 26 gallon so added about 8 more gallons to it for sanding. worked out perfect haha. 

love sanding 

Floors are pretty much all sealed up. The Raptor liner will take care of the rest. Doing some sanding of clear coat for bed liner to stick to them think its ready for some coats of paint and than maybe time for interior to go in. Getting excited. 

Also still waiting on my steering heim joint kit from ballistic and going to redo track bar and my uppers. The long arm uppers just arent long enough for where i want to put the mounts so Going with 7/8 heim at arm side and bushing style at the truss. also going to be redoing the track bar with offset axle mount and outside of frame mount with 7/8" heims. Will be ordering all this and some REID high steer knuckles very soon. 

Looking good man.i remember doing the floors in mine, made me hate it and pretty much sat for the next 4 years lol one thing I learned is that there is a special autobody wire for doing thin sheetmetal. Lays a good bead without bring thru as easy and grinds like butter. You going to cage it or put the bed back on?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks ya ive always had good luck with it. i Put 2 coats on it maybe three. Ended up pulling head liner and spraying it all and turned out great. i used one kit for this interior. Wish i had maybe one or two more bottles and still might order one more kit. 

Also got some of my steering parts in from Ballistic Fab. beefy stuff here.

7/8" heims with 1.5x .250 DOM for steering 

Waiting on reid knuckles and high steer arms

All blacked out and no red!

went to oreilly for some sheet roll paper. almost paid 130 for a 750' roll. said f that and found 75' at walmart for 7.50 ha aahahah

freshy fresh head liner some local pick this up from me.

That interior finish looks great!  :thumbsup:

thank you. ton of work really starting to pay off. 

Got a lil done last night. I painted the door jams on one door and started messing with engine bay harness. Making a junk yard run for any thing i am missing sat so hoping i don't need alot. Going to grab some new fenders hopefully and some battery cables going to fuse block. Also want to find a dif style washer bottle cause I'm guessing the one under fender won't last long. 

Some door jam sanding and painting. getting rid of all this red 

Laying out the 99 harness in the engine bay. 

Had to drill a few holes to make it all go in like factory.

Fuse block placement
Tonight ill prolly install the heater box and the heat mat that goes on fire wall. damn it feels good putting stuff back in this interior instead of removing more of it lol

Thank u. Its been a long weekend. i was off work and mostly drove all over IL for jeep parts. Ending up finding almost all my engine bay stuff, new fenders, new seats, all my ac stuff and a few other odds and ends. 

got the seats and sound bar mounted 

making sure i have all the holes in fire wall for new dash. looks good so far.

Putting dash together to see if i had everything i needed before trip to junk yard

should be fun. hopefully its all plug and play and i rememeber where everything goes

tcm mounted and hole cut for shifter cable

99 gas pedal welded to 88 base. works pretty good