project "why can't i leave things alone"

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks man! can't wait to get it going again. I did go and cut out the front end of the 99 today for firewall section i may need for steering and shifter. Also started on doors for removable doors. This has got to be the easiest one i have done. All bolts came out with non stripping. 

my other project I'm doing.

Turbo 408 bored and stroked 6.0 ls. Doing a 10 point moly cage in it now. I bought a Rogue fab bender for cage so i plan on doing my truggy and inside cage with it using a 1.75 x 4.5 clr die. 

Haha that place is at badlands in attica. Lot of jeeps try to go up it. I only had that tj for a few months before I got tired of its short wheelbase haha. And I am picking up other donor xj tonight. Thinking about going with the RADesigns rail shifter for manual shifting the aw4.

I got my 88 xj donor at my place now. Going to start pulling all the wiring, engine and trans, and also has a sye on t case. Has a nice hydro set up that I'm not sure if ill run or not. Id like to keep some mechanical part of steering incase engine dies or line breaks..  I went from having 1 nice tj to 1 decent mj and lots of xj parts. haha. 

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

9"

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

can't wait to get things rolling. 

just aquired a 97 ho 4.0 and 2wd aw4. idk what all parts ill use from it but wouldnt mind going full HO swap when i do my dash. still figuring out what all is needed for swap. Prolly use renix block since my doner one was rebuilt and slap the HO head on it. 

well last night was another 3am night. got 98% of what i needed from the donor xj. I am still tryin to decide if i need the dash harness or not. Thats all thats left in it. Well hopefully i can start pulling out my MJ engine and harness in next few days. I'm just going to swap in entire harness and engine and trans. 

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found 

I think ill have everything for the swap to be plug and play and with shift on its own. Then ill buy the RADesign set up for on trail. Not sure which transfer case ill use just yet. I don't wanna have to make the rear drive shaft twice for when i do my 44/9 swap but we will see how it lines up, 

OK so i pulled my 2nd 4.0 of the week haha. I went over some of the 99 harness and looks to be pretty complete. Going to start pulling all the interior and wiring out of mj tonight and look at some rust issues and kinda lay a plan out. SO far i plan on doing a HO/Renix hybrid. HO head intake with renix block thats been bored .060 over and only 1500 miles on it. AS far as exhaust i have a aftermarket header and going to build my own out of some scraps i have laying around. The awe I'm going to try to make work with the HO set up but still unsure about this since my aw4 is from a 89 jeep xj. Might just end up runnin the RADesign to keep it stand alone. I do have the 99 tcm so if i can make that run it with some switching of some wiring ill try that first.  This project has been draining me. haha  But trying to keep the momentum going and hoping have a running jeep in next few weeks. 

2 renix engines

Image Not Found

what a mess

Image Not Found

look at that mess lol

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

didnt get much done last night. Brought in the 4.0 HO last night and took head off. You can see a huge difference in the intake port from HO to RENIX.  The head looks pretty good tho for 177k. The RENIX head looks brand new. He said it only had maybe 500 miles on new head. Tryin to find any info on was can be used from the valve train from the renix head. The HO cylinder walls look good to. I might freshing this one up and use or sell. Going with the Bored renix block and ho head for this time.  I will be sellin a bunch of renix parts before long if i get this mj runnin good with the HO stuff.  Looks like i became a jeep 4.0 horder lol

Image Not Found

look at them race wires lol

HO head see ports

renix head 

HO block

Pistons and cylinder walls look pretty good for having 9#s thrown at it daily.

Plan to order new gaskets and head bolts this week and hopefully get engine thrown back together with all the HO stuff. I'm deleting AC so need to find a good way to delete pulley. 

Ill will most likely be gutting the MJ tonight. Weather been in the 60s when i get home from work. Perfect wrenching weather. 

Well tonight I made good progress. Tore out the interior and all the wiring. Getting pretty good at taking these apart. lol Kinda test fitted dash. can't wait to get this floor and fire wall fixed. Its going to get a nice layer of RAPTOR liner. on it.  I took everything out with out cutting so just in case i can't figure out the OBD2 swap crap i can always go back. I'm jstarting to run out of room to put jeep parts haha

rust :( 

nice lil storage on rear 

for some reason it has a brand new headliner  :dunno:

Made some nut inserts today for dash. i will cut out a hole using a hole saw that is same size OD as the washer i welded to the nut. I also make a spacer with a flat socket bolt that is countersunk into the spacer so its flat and then i tig welded it solid so won't turn. I noticed that the bolt would be a pain to put threw in this area cause of the wiper motor. Ill weld spacer to body.  don't judge my tig skills they suck.

:thumbsup:

ya I'm going to raptor liner the inside once i get done and then reuse the foam that was in the 99 its in good shape. Worked a 12 hour shift today on like 3 hours sleep so prolly won't mess with it tonight. Call it a researching night haha. Thanks for following. its been a fun project so far and havent even wheeled it. haha

well i ended up finding the trans and transfer case from a 99 xj so i should be able to run trans off 99 tcm and it shift on its own now. Ill be picking that up sunday. Going to chicago this weekend so won't have time to mess with it much.  I'm going to riviet that piece i cut off the donor jeep at windshield area so i don't risk getting rubber or glass hot and melting it. ill prolly just drill a couple holes in it and few tacks here and there to keep it for rattling.  GOing to try and make patch panel for firewall area where steering shaft goes in also. 

Not much progress done this weekend,  I some how caught a cold in the middle of summer and been feeling like crap. I did pick up the 99 tranny and trans case and picked up an ac for garage. I got my HVAC box put in. All bolts but one lined up. All i did was put some paint on the stud and put it in the other holes and let the paint transfer to where i needed to drill. Easy peasy. I will have to make a template for the area where heater core comes out since their is a small gap but should be easy to patch. The garage is a nice 65 degrees just wish i had the energy to work. Maybe tom. Anyway here is the pics.

look at the sick AC install lol took about 10 mins so don't judge. 

HVAC in with the dash with no issues.

thats the hole that didnt line up.

Need to weld in a plate here.

added another trans and transfer case to pile. ITs missing bell and TC so hopefully one of these will work for it. 

well decided to get a lil done tonight. MOstly organized all my parts and put up what i wasnt going to use. Moving around all this crap while sick and by yourself is no fun haha. Made a huge mess in my gargae but man was that ac nice. 

before pics are above here is how it is now. Much more room. Need to find out if i can use a 97 flex plate and tc for my 99 trans. Did noticed the 99 trans fluid is brownish red so might change fluid and filter while out. 

my Garage floor will never be the same lol