No power to fuel pump

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

holy hell, that sucks so hard.

My only suggestion as to find a complete wiring harness would be to look on carpart.com

Or if you have the patience/ability try and repair what you have.

There isnt a single Cherokee in your area you could pull a harness off of?

fpc

I vaguely remember this guys original thread, but he explains it here-

Update: 

i got fed up with problems that i knew were electrical and over spring break at school i pulled every wire out of the car and deleted everything i did not need and then deleted many connectors, bad sections of wire, and rerouted a lot of the wiring. So all in all i redid all of the wiring in the jeep and ditched a full buckets worth of unneeded wiring. It runs great now aside from normal ticks or very minor piston slapping. The gearing is off for my tire size so i don't have ideal power or mpgs but i gained a lot of power back and it just generally runs better than before. I came across many bad sections of wire that would have been very hard to find with a multimeter, so I'm not sure what sensor exactly was sending the wrong signals. I know from the factory the wiring was fine but after almost 30 years, heat, corrosion, mice, water, brake fluid, whatever is putting a hurt on a lot of peoples wiring and its the last thing most people want to do. Testing every wire or unwrapping wire looms to inspect is horrible but when you run out of all other options sometimes you just have to do it

Sometimes, that is all that is left to do.

That looks to be the option. I've got the 1988 wiring e-book website and will use it as a guide when rebuilding. I need to read up on what I need to rewire and what can be removed. All this electrical stuff makes me miss building classic mustangs with my Dad.

I vaguely remember this guys original thread, but he explains it here-

Update:

i got fed up with problems that i knew were electrical and over spring break at school i pulled every wire out of the car and deleted everything i did not need and then deleted many connectors, bad sections of wire, and rerouted a lot of the wiring. So all in all i redid all of the wiring in the jeep and ditched a full buckets worth of unneeded wiring. It runs great now aside from normal ticks or very minor piston slapping. The gearing is off for my tire size so i don't have ideal power or mpgs but i gained a lot of power back and it just generally runs better than before. I came across many bad sections of wire that would have been very hard to find with a multimeter, so I'm not sure what sensor exactly was sending the wrong signals. I know from the factory the wiring was fine but after almost 30 years, heat, corrosion, mice, water, brake fluid, whatever is putting a hurt on a lot of peoples wiring and its the last thing most people want to do. Testing every wire or unwrapping wire looms to inspect is horrible but when you run out of all other options sometimes you just have to do it

Sometimes, that is all that is left to do.

Been there, done that and there was nothing tremendously wrong with mine. The truck was already gutted and I was bored with nothing to do . . . . . and I like electrical.

• 2 weeks later...

Appstate97, just curious as I am going through a similar deal on my 88 MJ in another thread.

What size/gauge fusible links did you use when you replaced yours?

Thanks,

Chris

Read post #75. If I could go back, I would have double/triple checked everything. I have a short somewhere in the wiring harness that still needs to be repaired. The biggest thing is to try and figure out why the fusible link went bad in the first place. Good luck and the CC crew is very helpful.