jeep lighting mods...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

I will. 

Very cool lights.  Too rich for my wallet.  I balked at Truck-Lites, but couldn't find a comparison anywhere, so bit the bullet. 

Do you have these installed? 

• 2 months later...

I've been working on this for my front marker lights and turn signals. Only got done with one side today sadly but I'm excited to have them done. The regular LED's come on with the headlights and the Amber is for the turn signal. Once they're completely done I'll be spray painting the plastic and possibly fogging out the LED lense so they're completely black.

IMG_20190119_162111.jpg

IMG_20190119_161246.jpg

IMG_20190119_161238.jpg

18 minutes ago, Knucklehead97 said:

I've been working on this for my front marker lights and turn signals. Only got done with one side today sadly but I'm excited to have them done. The regular LED's come on with the headlights and the Amber is for the turn signal. Once they're completely done I'll be spray painting the plastic and possibly fogging out the LED lense so they're completely black.

IMG_20190119_162111.jpg

IMG_20190119_161246.jpg

IMG_20190119_161238.jpg

That's nice man!

On 7/30/2018 at 7:37 AM, Jeep Driver said:

It's current you want to measure, not volts.

Just like CFM, you can get 150lbs from a small compressor, no volume and you won't run a DA. Same principal applies to electricity.

I stay away from analogies when it comes to electrical theory... the more I teach this stuff the more they seem to confuse a clear understanding of it.  

Measuring current would indeed reveal an under-performing circuit, but measuring voltage (assuming you understand what's supposed to be going on) is almost always the better/faster route to diagnosis.  If he was measuring more available voltage at the headlamp connector(s) when they were on (current flowing), then that indicates the upgrade harness has offered up less resistance in the circuit and the lamp assemblies are now closer to being the only resistors in the circuit.  Circuit resistance (wherever it happens to come from) and applied voltage is what determines current flow.  LEDs demand far less current than conventional lighting, meaning the shortcomings of the stock harness are just about negated; which, if I understand correctly, is why the OP didn't notice much of an improvement with the Putco harness upgrade.  

Edit:

Just re-read that conversation and realized DesertRat1991 is still running the stock headlamps... means his stock harness was healthy!

Edited by A-man930
clarification

The more I teach this stuff the more they seem to confuse a clear understanding of it.

The struggle is real!

I've had experienced technicians argue with me about the correct way to wire a load.

One time I had a boss that refused to let me install a relay. He was a tech before he was an administrator. He swore that he installed a relay that hung up. The relay burnt up, and the car burnt down. He didn't believe that a relay needed to be fused, only the output to the load.

I had to hide relays after that.

On 1/21/2019 at 3:08 PM, GreasemonkeySC said:

The struggle is real!

I've had experienced technicians argue with me about the correct way to wire a load. emoji849.png

One time I had a boss that refused to let me install a relay. He was a tech before he was an administrator. He swore that he installed a relay that hung up. The relay burnt up, and the car burnt down. He didn't believe that a relay needed to be fused, only the output to the load.

I had to hide relays after that.

:sad2: