jeep lighting mods...

Anything else other then headlights guys? Just looking to spread cool/useful lighting tech

Nothing to report at this moment unfortunately.  Once I get a Fey bumper ordered for the rear I have a plan to improve my reverse lighting situation by flush mounting a pair of these in the bumper http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AXP65Y6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_3&smid=AIBUGCLTNYU69.

If not those lights, then the more square shaped ones.

Then my plan was to create an overly complex switch circuit that would have them tied to the reverse lights.  This way I can actually SEE when I back up in dark areas.  As far as the switch, I want to be able to kill the power to them so they don't have to always function, and then another switch function to have them on independently to function as sort of a rear work light.   That wiring should be a joy to figure out.

hmm. so on with reverse, manual on and a defeat switch... you could possibly do that fairly easily, if my brain is working... you could use one normally closed relay and a 3 position switch. center is off, and on normal reverse circuit. up is manual on with a 12V power splice. and down could feed a coil to switch the NC relay open, breaking power feed to the lights

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive done a headlight relay harness. and converted to XJW header. the headlight harness is probably the single best light upgrade you could doIMO.

I like that headlight setup you have. I am new to Comanches but is that the xjw conversion you were referring too?

thanks. the quad headlight header is the Cherokee wagoneer conversion. the harness upgrade is using your factory headlight plug to run relays to activate battery power to the headlights.

http://www.amazon.com/Putco-230004HW-Premium-Automotive-Lighting/dp/B001P29X4G

I'm running Anzo H4 conversion housings with Sylvania Xtravision bulbs, a home made relay/heavy gauge wiring harness for the headlights, and a pair of Optronix LED flood lamps on the bumper as off road lights. I feel like this set up does very well for most situations I encounter, though I may add some pencil beams for use in the desert.

I'm going to be modifying the lighting arrangement in mine eventually.  The biggest change for me will be with turn signal operation.  

http://comancheclub.com/topic/46067-total-re-design-questions-and-updates-on-new-chassis-wiring/

u3s6rT5h.png

"Here's the big changes so far:

-Fog lamps will be enabled with the parking lights and will continue to work during high or low beam operation.  

-A front-mounted LED lightbar can be linked to the high beam circuit or operated independently by a dash-mounted switch.  

-The flasher is an ISO280-base EP28 unit (un-tested here guys, hope to mock this up soon.)

-The lamps marked "amb lts" are ambient "mood lights" if you will; probably red LEDs.  Call me ricer, but I had them under the dash on my highschool beater and I loved them.  I also like some of these newer cars that put a recessed LED in the overhead console or rearview mirror to barely illuminate the shifter/console area.  So I'll try it!

-The biggest change is with the turn signals.  I'll put an amber LED bulb in place of the rev. lamps in the factory tail lenses and add an outside marker LED to the bumper (whenever it's done   :shake:)  As designed here, this marker and the factory "vertical" amber lenses on the grille will be illuminated any time the key is in "run" and will wig-wag opposite its corresponding lamp when the turn signal switch pulses power to the right or left turn relay.  I may add a "marker-cut" switch to allow an all-dark mode eventually.  "

ive been putting off replacing my windshield (old, crappy and small leak up top) but when I do I plan on pulling the visor off (since I have to anyways for the windshield) cleaning it up, repairing some of the chipped fiberglass and putting some flush mount cab lights on it. I think it will look cool.

I also thought about doing some amber led strip lighting behind the grille. my buddy did it on his ram with green leds and it looked pretty sweet

s-l500.jpg

these also fit perfectly in the embossment on the front and rear bumpers. thought about playing around with them as lower marker/ blinker lights... kinda like the ford raptor has

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone know how Eagle Lights stack up against the genuine article TruckLite?  I picked up a used pair of Eagle Lights that I found on Craigslist.  They're plug & play and work pretty good in my XJ.  New, they're $199 on eBay/Amazon which is slightly more than the "each" price of TruckLites.  

Just wondering if TuckLite performance is better and if so, is it that much better?    

NHMJXJ, you would want to get the XJ dash light set.  Jason (with OneWayLights) sells the B-pillar light separately.

Dash lights http://www.onewaylight.com/1984-2001-jeep-cherokee-xj-instrument-light-set-white/

B-pillar http://www.onewaylight.com/2x-37-5mm-festoon-led-with-3x-cree-xp-d-6000k/

I tried to order the dash lights back in Dec, but he said they were out of stock.  I have not tried to re-order yet.

20 hours ago, 87MJTIM said:

NHMJXJ, you would want to get the XJ dash light set.  Jason (with OneWayLights) sells the B-pillar light separately.

Dash lights http://www.onewaylight.com/1984-2001-jeep-cherokee-xj-instrument-light-set-white/

B-pillar http://www.onewaylight.com/2x-37-5mm-festoon-led-with-3x-cree-xp-d-6000k/

I tried to order the dash lights back in Dec, but he said they were out of stock.  I have not tried to re-order yet.

The best thing to do to get all the bulbs we need for the MJ is to email Jason and let him know what lights your MJ has.

Hes a super cool guy and is willing to put together a custom package for you if you request it.

Originally the Cab lights page mentioned that it also came with a glove box light and to email him for other oddities your truck may have.

The Dash cluster set comes with replacements for the dash lights and center console lights. The cab lights is where it comes with the B-pillar lights and used to (still does?) come with the glove box light.

• 4 weeks later...

Found this ebay listing, but the images of the advertised item doesn't look like a Truck-Lite.  Can anyone confirm?  

I want to do a comparison of Truck-Lite, Eagle Light (I have the latter) and don't want to buy another knock-off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRUCK-LITE-27490C-5-X-7-LED-Headlamp/162816616717?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D24ee4118a6ae4bb08ea11059cd6b34ac%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D162816616717%26itm%3D162816616717&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

It's a Truck-Lite, and it's a bit cheaper model, #27490C. Mine are the model #27450C that look like the below. Truck-Lite shows the 27490C to be for RHD vehicles, but there are obviously other differences like the lens.

81oM-8eGyGL._SL1500_.jpg

Thanks Don ... Didn't think to look for a Truck-Lite website.  Duh

I wasn't aware there were different styles either, but it makes sense.  The pic you posted is what I have seen in searches and Eagle Lights look just like that.

Another conundrum. The TL website descriptions read Right 27490C/ Left 27491C Hand "Side" rather than "Drive".  The reflectors are different.    

Separate question for you ... The Eagle Lights are literally plug and play ... what's the purpose of the Truck Lites stripped wires?    

• 2 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:38 AM, Goose_XJ88 said:

Passenger side has LED, drivers has stock bulb.

Spent some time (and $) doing some ~upgrades and comparisons for LED interior and headlights.  I'll review the latter in my next post to this thread.

Quick review of One Way Light (which has moved their inventory to Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/One-Way-Light/pages/15105086011 )  ... They don't have much for the MJ (yet) but a testimonial for their interior cab lights for my MJ is 5 stars.  See Goose's pic for comparison.  Absolutely floods the interior with light. They're pricey but IMO worth the $ and backed by the vendor.  I exchanged several emails with Jason (the One Way Light guy) who told me that "demand" would drive production for MJ upgrades.  Currently nothing for reverse, brake, directional, plate or taillight upgrades. 

I also bought the interior lighting "package" for my XJ w/overhead console, which includes interior lights for 1998-2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ and 1993-1998 Grand Cherokee ZJ (Interior LED Light Set Overhead Console Model 1WL-XJ4).  

I would suggest being selective and cherry picking from what they offer on Amazon. With regard to the XJ, less than half of 1WL-XJ4 is usable in the XJ.  I should note that the replacement vanity mirror LEDs only emphasize you're ugly.  The dimmer function is defeated and OH LORD can you see your face!  The overhead and floor courtesy lights are amazing and an excellent upgrade. 

Support these guys, they're active military.  The 1% who protects you.

Losing the interior dimmer light circuit isn't my idea of an upgrade. I replaced all the bulbs that are not on the dimmer circuit, but I want to control the brightness inside the cabin. I can't stand lights that are too bright, but that's just me I guess.  :dunno:

The only place I would ever put LEDs on my own vehicle is the dome/courtesy lights. I find all of the other stock lighting fine, and not being able to dim them would bug the hell out of me. The stock dome lights are barely sufficient even with the added courtesy lights under the dash.

I can't speak to the dimmer function for dash lights because that's a different set, but the overhead lights are on or off, as are the lights on the visor vanity mirrors.  I would agree that the dimmer is necessary and more desirable.

I neglected to mention I also installed the same vendors LED license plate, brake and reverse lights in my XJ, all of which perform significantly better than stock.  I have 5% tint on all rear glass and the LED reverse lights are low hung flood lamps. They make a BIG difference. 

I agree with the stock interior lights not being sufficient and Jason's led upgrade is well worth the cost. I don't plan on doing the dash upgrade for the same reason stated above. I don't see a benefit for dash backlight as the stock lights are fine in this area imho.

I also did the interior and brake/reverse lights on my 99 XJ and it's amazing. I hope we can drum up some more interest with mj brake and reverse lights as I would love to have those on my truck.

Those cannot be legal for headlights in the US.   Hasn't anyone pulled you over for that on the road?
Who said anything about being legal? I live in rural indiana. They only care if you have some kind of light pointing forward lol.

I've only ever gotten pulled over for my 130 watt halogens after a sheriff brighted me so I brighted him back lol.

Nobody follows the rules around here.

But I no longer have them installed anymore. They got moisture in them and looked horrible. FCK lightbars sucks @$$!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk