88 comanche build

well today was the day that i battled the dreaded rear main seal while the motor was still in the truck.  the pan was a bit of a pig coming off with the factory cork gasket sticking it to the block.  then there was the main seal.  ive read horror stories that the seal could take hours of hammering on to break lose.  to my surprise one bump with a hammer and punch and mine slid right out.  also after 220,000 miles there was only the tiniest amount of sludge in the pan. so that made me happy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow ive really fallen down on the updates.  but i have done a little to the truck.

i got tired of trying to stop the truck but shoving my foot threw the floor.  so i hopped on the band wagon for the 99 wj break booster and master swap.  i pulled the part from the boneyard for 26 bucks not bad i might say.  but i never could get a firm pedal.  no matter how much i bled the system it was always spongy.  so i broke down and bought a new master at napa now i have awesome stopping power.

i took the truck to a local spot that we know as the silt dams.  the ol girl surprised me for having open rears she went where i pointed her.

she also hit a milestone the other day

• 1 month later...

well my jeep was having problems lately and in the fun of figuring that out i havent been updating this build.  so some of the problem turned out to be the egr valve which was prescribed by svtpete.

also the freeze plug in the back of the head started to leak on me so i manned up one weekend and tackled that job.

also my dad gave me a diamond plate tool box for the truck so i swapped that out

from this

to this

last of all i have to mention how great rockauto is.  they have something that i never would have thought that they would have had

the factory book brand new!!!

• 3 months later...

well guys Ive been away for a while. but the Comanche is still keeping me on my toes. i found out how hard it was to find a sending unit, being mine rotted out and started puking gas everywhere.  on the bright side i found a mint short box with the tailgate and lights at the local junkyard for 300 bucks.  so ill be posting more pictures this summer when i get the box on the truck.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...