88 comanche build

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks man i appreciate the feedback it seems like no one whats to reply haha.  i thought about making them, i liked how the rough county ones had the little brace gusset right behind them so i thought about making something like that.

well i scratched another thing off the ta do list. i got the new axle u joints installed.  the passenger side went great had it knocked out in a half hour.  the drive side was a bit tougher.  the unit bearing was hard and seized to to the splines on the yoke and all the threads were rusted and hammered on the yoke.  well the local napa had the fix for the axle threads.  they rented me a spline threader kit.  for anyone that needs to know it was a 24x2 mill for the threads, the bearing was put in a 12 ton shop press and heated red hot with a torch and beat with a hemmer to get it to come lose.  after all that the simple u joint job was done 3 days later haha.

ok so i moved the truck around the yard today and my cousin was down watching me.  when the front end started clunking at full lock.  turns out that the tires and grabbing the lower control arms by the smallest bit.  so i ordered spydertrax 1.25 spacer kit from quadratic.  anyone else have this happen with 33s on stock rims like mine?

I thought about a wheel because I'm not sure how much I trust wheel spacers but I sprung for good ones. Right now I just wanna be able to drive the truck I had it for 6 months now and it never saw road yet. Plus I do love the rims.

so i broke down and ordered some American racing outlaw 2s for the truck.  after a coworker told me that the wheel spacers i ordered are illegal on road use for pa.  well live and learn no i have ton send those back

Did you check to make sure?  Because vehicles leave the factory every day with spacers....

thanks guys yeah pa is a little funny with things. being we have a yearly inspection everything gets checked.  but that being said if it leaves the factory with them they are 100 legal. my 85 iroc actually has little 1/8 one from the factory.  but aftermarket are okay as long as it doesn't exceed 1/4. and the 1 1/4 would have been a little over that lol.

i got the new rims last Thursday and with the help of my cousin got them mounted and balanced after work.  they look pretty good and really do the truck justice it takes the pain of swapping the rims in the first place down a bit.

well guys on Saturday it finally happened.  after six months of working on the truck it finally became road legal!

i have to say the truck really get noticed on the road.  even people at the gas station were asking me" where did you find this thing".  it drives awesome tons of power thanks to the 4:10s in the rear.  no death wobble or anything of the sort. i can let go of the wheel on the highway doing 75 and it shoots straight as an arrow.  i love it the work and money was so worth the payoff.

thanks guys!

i was heading to work on tuesday and have to move the trash cans.  i thought this was a pretty good picture

also found out i had a coolant leak and where it was.  two of my freeze plugs started to weep.  well a trip to napa and i had all the things to replace all 5. 

i used gasket shalack  ( i think that's how you spell it) around the mounting area of the plug.  also found out that i broke the 02 sensor and no one seems to have one in stock around here.  so I'm out my truck for two days. bummer.

well it seems that its one thing after another with this truck.  got it all back together and fuel started blowing out of the feed line.  somehow my o-rings went missing, throw some new ones on and no leak.  then the thermostat gasket started leaking that i just replaced with the freeze plugs. take it off and i siliconed it up.  well when i put i back on the goose neck broke before the bolts got tight.  bought one for an ho cherokee and put it on, that one leaks.  so tomorrow ill be taking it back off to silicone this one. hopefully this works cause I'm really getting sick of playing with my coolant system.

Is the thermostat itself sitting flush against the head?  You shouldn't be having that hard of a time with a good seal, three times over unless the parts are not mating up smoothly.  All the old gasket and Permatex scraped off prior to the new parts being installed?

Yes it's a scrapped off every time. My father he attacked it with a file and took down all the pitting. I bought some gaskets off ebay, theyre the felpro one and they seem way better then the crappy napa sticky side ones. Anyway I took it all off again today. I filed the head a little more and used the felpro one with some permatex #2 suggested by the napa guys I trust. I ran it till hot and no leak. I took it down the road and so far so good. So fingers crossed.