1986 2.8L to Turbo 3.4L to turbo 4.0L to 4.6 Turbo Stroker MJ....

769aa274be1f364661117f78edf33b40.jpg9a2feeb6b7214687ab9e93f7206fbaa0.jpgc928c88876e4d33d40bf962439807d19.jpg03045104002e73b12db4bfe9503e3682.jpg

Pistons looking good, other than the black oil stains (I believe) on top of them. It looks like pistons 5 & 3 had bad rings causing major blow by. That would explain the oil and smoke out of the valve covers (yes, they are baffled) and exhaust. Lastly, on the bench is the horrors of once again having the engine apart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

So the new rings move around nice and free in their respective grooves (lands) in the pistons right?  Keep a wary eye out for any hairline cracks in the pistons.  Did you perform a leak-down test or at least a dry/wet compression test before tearing into it?  

One has to wonder why the rings failed... damage on install? or major detonation?  

Sorry you're having troubles, but hey you're gonna be a pro at it!  :rotf:

So the new rings move around nice and free in their respective grooves (lands) in the pistons right? Keep a wary eye out for any hairline cracks in the pistons. Did you perform a leak-down test or at least a dry/wet compression test before tearing into it?

One has to wonder why the rings failed... damage on install? or major detonation?

Sorry you're having troubles, but hey you're gonna be a pro at it! :rotf:

I sure will. The rings havnt even came yet, I'll put them in Saturday night or Sunday morning after the ball! I will update then.

What brand pistons? You must have had some serious detonation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea, they were from summit. I'm assuming it's because I blew a head gasket and ran the jeep nearly to 300* trying to get off the highway and just about locked up the engine...

No idea, they were from summit. I'm assuming it's because I blew a head gasket and ran the jeep nearly to 300* trying to get off the highway and just about locked up the engine...

Detonation during initial tune --> blown head gaskets and possible damage to pistons

Blown head gaskets --> overheat

Overheating to 300* -->pistons swell in bores and fall apart

oops.  

Exactly, and it could be worse it could be a DOHC 4.6 cobra motor or coyote. Double or triple the cost and much harder to work on. This is an awesome build. Get it buttoned up and enjoy it. You actually have me considering going a route similar to this instead of an LS1

Exactly, and it could be worse it could be a DOHC 4.6 cobra motor or coyote. Double or triple the cost and much harder to work on. This is an awesome build. Get it buttoned up and enjoy it. You actually have me considering going a route similar to this instead of an LS1

I vote LS1!

I've yet to diagnose it, I'm shocked. It's going to sit for awhile until I can find motivation to dig into it.

Sorry to hear that bro ..i would be kicking the crap out of that thing by now

• 2 weeks later...

V8 swapping? What's the plan. Obviously need a new bottom end

I don't know. Considering letting it sit for a good while or selling the body for someone who wants to try putting another 3.4 in it.

• Pete M changed the title to 1986 2.8L to Turbo 3.4L to turbo 4.0L to 4.6 Turbo Stroker MJ....