1986 2.8L to Turbo 3.4L to turbo 4.0L to 4.6 Turbo Stroker MJ....

• 4 weeks later...

Good luck with the build! Ft Lost in the Woods...was there in 87 at the Heavy Equipment school(Marine as well!) If I'm not mistaken there is another member there at the Motor T school. He has lots of stripes!! Thank you for your service and I'm keeping an eye on your build. Semper

There is nothing else I would rather do. I was stationed in Del Mar from 94-02 with GSM CO and the 15th MEU. I am on my way back to 29 Palms in June. I love it there. This will be my third tour there. Semper Fi brother and thank you for paving the way for me!

I'd like to know who it is! I've seen a Red one and a White one in almost perfect condition! If anyone knows who it is let me know, I'm in Charlie Company MTIC Lance Corporal Ochs!

Good luck with the build! Ft Lost in the Woods...was there in 87 at the Heavy Equipment school(Marine as well!) If I'm not mistaken there is another member there at the Motor T school. He has lots of stripes!! Thank you for your service and I'm keeping an eye on your build. Semper

• 3 weeks later...

Where did you order all the turbo parts from? Going to be throwing a turbo on my 3.4 also once I break in the engine.

Everything's from different places Jegs, Summit, EBay, ect... I should of made a bull list w/ links. The turbo manifold is the hardest part.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I just blew the head gasket on the 2.8 so time to throw the 3.4 in! I was driving and it got really hot and stopped at my uncles, I popped the hood and there was steam coming from the Carb cleaner from a hose that connected to the valve cover! Then I pulled the dip stick and steam barreled out of it and it had milk on it :( I got 228,000 out of the 2.8 and I see no use putting in the work to change the head gasket when I have a rebuilt 3.4 sitting in my shed! So I see this as more of an opportunity than anything seeing as I work from home now! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

If you're planning to run the '94-95 intake and throttle body, you might consider dropping the engine an inch or so in the mounts...   I have the same 3.4L in my Comanche, and it's only got about 1" of clearance to the underside of the hood.   With the Camaro oil pan, clearance to the axle is tight too on my truck, but with your lift, that's not a concern.   :)

The other issue is that the 2.8L engine mount on the pass side occupies the same space as the 3.4L's A/C pump.   I didn't have the camaro mounts, so I just bolted on the 2.8 mounts and used an A/C delete idler bracket, but will probably try to use the Camaro motor mount on that side eventually so I can squeeze the pump back in.   (It'll be VERY tight to the frame rail, I think...)

You'll also need a flywheel for an '89+ (IIRC) 2.8L S-10 with the 5-speed.  The 2.8L clutch bolts right up, and seems to hold at least a non-turbo'd 3.4L just fine.  :)

I'll be curious to see how this all works out for you.  A turbo on the 3.4L would be awesome for pulling passes, and motoring down the road at highway speeds...

Please keep up with the updates!! :)

If you're planning to run the '94-95 intake and throttle body, you might consider dropping the engine an inch or so in the mounts... I have the same 3.4L in my Comanche, and it's only got about 1" of clearance to the underside of the hood. With the Camaro oil pan, clearance to the axle is tight too on my truck, but with your lift, that's not a concern. :)

The other issue is that the 2.8L engine mount on the pass side occupies the same space as the 3.4L's A/C pump. I didn't have the camaro mounts, so I just bolted on the 2.8 mounts and used an A/C delete idler bracket, but will probably try to use the Camaro motor mount on that side eventually so I can squeeze the pump back in. (It'll be VERY tight to the frame rail, I think...)

You'll also need a flywheel for an '89+ (IIRC) 2.8L S-10 with the 5-speed. The 2.8L clutch bolts right up, and seems to hold at least a non-turbo'd 3.4L just fine. :)

I'll be curious to see how this all works out for you. A turbo on the 3.4L would be awesome for pulling passes, and motoring down the road at highway speeds...

Thanks a ton! This is very valuable info to me as I'm about to drop the motor in here soon, I'm not sure if the pass side Camaro mount will work, it's oddly long. Also, how did you go about using the Camaro intake as far as wiring up EFI goes?

If you're planning to run the '94-95 intake and throttle body, you might consider dropping the engine an inch or so in the mounts... I have the same 3.4L in my Comanche, and it's only got about 1" of clearance to the underside of the hood. With the Camaro oil pan, clearance to the axle is tight too on my truck, but with your lift, that's not a concern. :)

The other issue is that the 2.8L engine mount on the pass side occupies the same space as the 3.4L's A/C pump. I didn't have the camaro mounts, so I just bolted on the 2.8 mounts and used an A/C delete idler bracket, but will probably try to use the Camaro motor mount on that side eventually so I can squeeze the pump back in. (It'll be VERY tight to the frame rail, I think...)

You'll also need a flywheel for an '89+ (IIRC) 2.8L S-10 with the 5-speed. The 2.8L clutch bolts right up, and seems to hold at least a non-turbo'd 3.4L just fine. :)

I'll be curious to see how this all works out for you. A turbo on the 3.4L would be awesome for pulling passes, and motoring down the road at highway speeds...

Also, why do I need that flywheel?

Thanks a ton! This is very valuable info to me as I'm about to drop the motor in here soon, I'm not sure if the pass side Camaro mount will work, it's oddly long. Also, how did you go about using the Camaro intake as far as wiring up EFI goes?

I used the Camaro harness and computer.   There was lots of wire that came out of the Comanche harness, and a good bit that came out of the Camaro harness, but in the end, it all looks clean and works really well.   Obviously that won't be the case for a turbo...      I bolted the 2.8L motor mounts to the 3.4L.  All the bosses are there and tapped.   If you want to keep A/C, you need to figure out how to use the camaro mount on the pass side, but you should be able to use the Jeep mount on the driver's side.   FWIW, the Camaro frame is actually quite a bit roomier than the Comanche, so it might not work anyway.  

Take a few pics of the Camaro pass side mount for me if you can!

Also, why do I need that flywheel?

In '86, the 2.8 was externally balanced.  By the late 80's, it was internally balanced, as were the 3.1 and 3.4L's.   So you need a flywheel from an internally balanced engine.  I believe the same applies to the flexplate if you're doing an auto.   You can see the weights if you look a the original flywheel/flexplate.   I suppose you could have a machine shop mill the bosses off, but I found it far cheaper to buy a flywheel for a '90 2.8L S-10.     The Camaro flywheel has a deep dish to it for some reason, and doesn't work with the Jeep transmissions. 

Much of this is in my build thread, linked below...

Good luck!!

• Pete M changed the title to 1986 2.8L to Turbo 3.4L to turbo 4.0L to 4.6 Turbo Stroker MJ....