heater fan woes

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 year later...

To revive this topic, my blower stopped again back in June.  I can't imagine that the blower motor went bad that quickly.  I made the mistake of turning the blower off and then it wouldn't come back on.  Could the problem have something to do with the switch?

23 minutes ago, Virginia said:

To revive this topic, my blower stopped again back in June.  I can't imagine that the blower motor went bad that quickly.  I made the mistake of turning the blower off and then it wouldn't come back on.  Could the problem have something to do with the switch?

Unplug the blower connection under the hood and jump it directly to the battery. See if the motor spins.

It's a heavy draw. Watch out for sparks. If you have an old-fashioned remote starter switch, use that.

I tested the connection and it appears that there is no power to the plug.  I've check the fuse and it's fine.

Could the resistor have gone bad again?  I do have water running down the footwell on the passenger side from time to time.  I don't think it gets on the resistor but I suppose it's possible.

Blower_connection.jpg

OK, revision to my above post.  I retested the battery side of the plug and there is power up to the plug. 

I tried to use jumpers to connect the fan directly to the battery and got a little spark but the fan never ran.

Fan or resistor?

And I just replaced this fan 2 years ago.

If connecting the fan directly to the battery didn't make it run, the resistor isn't in the circuit so the problem is the fan. Also, when the resistor is bad, the fan should still run when the control is set to high speed, because the high speed setting doesn't use the resistor to reduce the speed.

You have power to the plug, and hotwiring the fan doesn't make it run.  That sounds to me like a bad fan.

7 hours ago, Eagle said:

If connecting the fan directly to the battery didn't make it run, the resistor isn't in the circuit so the problem is the fan. Also, when the resistor is bad, the fan should still run when the control is set to high speed, because the high speed setting doesn't use the resistor to reduce the speed.

You have power to the plug, and hotwiring the fan doesn't make it run.  That sounds to me like a bad fan.

OK but what would make it go bad after only 2 years when the other one ran fine for at least all the years I owned the truck?  Can't speak to before I bought it.

17 minutes ago, Virginia said:

OK but what would make it go bad after only 2 years when the other one ran fine for at least all the years I owned the truck?  Can't speak to before I bought it.

Aftermarket parts in a nutshell.

Unfortunately I don't know where to get a non-garbage new blower motor these days. The last time I needed to replace one, I went to the junkyard armed with a 12V tool battery and tested motors before I removed them. I eventually bought the one that moved the most air with the least noise.

3 minutes ago, Virginia said:

Unless I go to the dealer.

Last time I checked, the actual motor (p/n 56002858 for a 1991) was no longer available. I bet if the dealer can even get you one, it'll be a Crown Automotive knockoff. If their own picture is to be believed, it won't even have a plug on it. 

You might want to check the a/c drain tube to make sure it's not clogged

17 hours ago, Virginia said:

I do have water running down the footwell on the passenger side from time to time.  I don't think it gets on the resistor but I suppose it's possible.

107599d1333733789-95-cherokee-ac-leak-pa

That's a '95 so things may look a little different in you MJ, but it's in the same place. Passenger side of firewall, just above the frame near the starter. That little nub it's pointing at is a hose barb of sorts that'll have a little rubber tube over the end, a short elbow of hose pointing downwards. Pop the tube off with a tug and you'll know it's plugged if water pours out. I just shoved a screwdriver through the tube to clear it out, and it's been fine ever since. 

3 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

That's a '95 so things may look a little different in you MJ, but it's in the same place. Passenger side of firewall, just above the frame near the starter. That little nub it's pointing at is a hose barb of sorts that'll have a little rubber tube over the end, a short elbow of hose pointing downwards. Pop the tube off with a tug and you'll know it's plugged if water pours out. I just shoved a screwdriver through the tube to clear it out, and it's been fine ever since. 

Thanks

On 12/13/2018 at 11:30 AM, gogmorgo said:

I couldn't find that tube.