LOL, we had a little SNAFU with the first go round on the tube step. I say we like I was there helping.

He had to order a new stick of tube for the step. It should be in and Brandon will get it done in a few days.

Ya....the 2" tubing wouldn't fit in my 2"dies to bend it...so I ordered 1.75" tubing .I think it'll look better anyways.

And you have helped out a lot Bo!

I'lo have a better pic of the bumper tonight when it's done!

i just shipped one to canada last week (not the ebay sale) and it was actually cheaper to send it across the border than it was to ship it to seattle which I'm guessing wasnt too far from where it was going in canada

Haha, not quite. Seattle's over 30 hours of driving from here. I'm about 200 miles north-east of Minot, ND. I just happened to be going there on a family road trip.

And the hitch is finally bolted on. It's been one headache after another, none of which are your fault (and all of which should have been foreseen). Between broken bolts, the PO's pointless snot welds, and the fact that every time I have time to work on it I've either had no daylight or it's been below -20F without the wind.

But at some point I think you mentioned you didn't know it didn't touch the shackles on a long bed, so here's a pic of that:

hWO3aO5.jpg

Came inside for a cup of tea while trying to regroup on another problem I had when trying to put the bumper back on... Again something I should've foreseen. The hitch ball on the bumper has been bolted in place for likely over 20 years so obviously it's not coming off, and obviously it interferes with the hitch. My impact wouldn't budge it. It's soaking in PB'laster right now. I'll give it another half hour and if that doesn't do it I'm cutting the bastard off.

But again, none of the problems I'm having have anything to do with krusty, or the quality of his hitch. It would have been a perfect fit on any other truck but mine.

Good deal! That is a big difference on a long bed.

And yes. Most of the problems you experienced should be what almost everyone should be ready to experience.

Ya, the hitch sits very close to the bumper. So that ball on there can't be there. My hitch touches the bumper I built...somehow I made it to come out just perfect. Built them about 2 years apart and didn't think about that clearance at all...phew!

It was taken down until the prototype is finished because everyone was fighting in it...same with the rear bumper thread. They'll be back up by the weekend I promise!

And yes the bumper is basically the same as the hitch. I used almost the same bracket and (this is what everyone was fighting about) it will be "gusseted" and welded just as strong and it'll be just as beefy as the hitch.

• 2 weeks later...

question.... I finally got a section of square stock to make my hitch. now here's my curiosity.... went to test fit the tube and side plates. and found it didn't fit. so I measured the tube and found it about 2mm over 2.5", (not uncommon to be slightly nominal) but when I then measured the opening on the side plates... I fount the width to be 2.5" exact and the height to be closer to 2.625"  why this difference?

also... just to confirm myself, one of your posts said to use 47" bar and leave 5/16th extended out. so would it be safe to say flange to flange would be 46" taking into account the extended length and thickness of plates?

question.... I finally got a section of square stock to make my hitch. now here's my curiosity.... went to test fit the tube and side plates. and found it didn't fit. so I measured the tube and found it about 2mm over 2.5", (not uncommon to be slightly nominal) but when I then measured the opening on the side plates... I fount the width to be 2.5" exact and the height to be closer to 2.625"  why this difference?

also... just to confirm myself, one of your posts said to use 47" bar and leave 5/16th extended out. so would it be safe to say flange to flange would be 46" taking into account the extended length and thickness of plates?

when they drew it up they got the height off and we didnt notice it until after they were cut. 

ive always just put the gap at the top when i build them. 

and yes, the 2nd and 3rd sticks of tubing i bought was a hair over 2.5" so i had to buff it down to fit, it sucked...

and yes 47" tube, 46 3/8" outside to outside of plates. 46 1/2 wouldnt hurt though since it will come in when you tighten it.

when they drew it up they got the height off and we didnt notice it until after they were cut. 

ive always just put the gap at the top when i build them. 

and yes, the 2nd and 3rd sticks of tubing i bought was a hair over 2.5" so i had to buff it down to fit, it sucked...

and yes 47" tube, 46 3/8" outside to outside of plates. 46 1/2 wouldnt hurt though since it will come in when you tighten it.

alright! cool, yeah I shaved the tube slightly on one side and they slid right in.  and good point with the 1/2" since it will probably just make assembly easier and tighten down the extra 1/4 on either side with little to no issue.

• 4 weeks later...
made mine a little different, but i finally got it welded up!

instead of the tube stock receiver i used an off the shelf 500/5000lb receiver, was just simplier for me and i actually have a "weight rating" sticker now too.

4DHDkjxl.jpg

6pXgPipl.jpg?1

u5g39qxl.jpg

side plates were perfectly made, all directions on welding dimentions were spot on! and all bolt holes matched perfectly with no hassles.  I used the lower shackle bolt hole and that fit and worked perfect (with the addition of a couple washers to fill in the gap) and helps to tie in the structural rigidity of the hole rear end of the truck.

the complete hitch is a great buy, and the DIY is just as simple for someone who likes the self gratification!

Does yours mount to the bottom of the frame also? Mine does. That's the lower bolt in the upper right hand corner of the picture. And it has one bend that goes inside the factory spring hanger. Then one that bends on the outside that you can see and it then went up and to the 4 bolts on the side of the frame.