Looks the same as my frame and brackets...
It's probably just one of those things, like any other fabricated part, that there will be a couple variants in the parts that all have to go together.

If anybody can clearly see that they need a spacer fix this issue before they order a hitch, let me know and I'll add one...

But I won't be adding it to all of them since only short beds use them and we've only had one hitch like this so far....

Sorry Mike. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Just from looking at my swb truck, there should be no issue with these brackets fitting.  That leaf spring bracket runs flush with the frame rail.  (eventually I will be able to afford a hitch of my own). 
Participate in my picture challenge in the pub and maybe you could win a discounted hitch!

4 hours ago, krustyballer16 said:

Participate in my picture challenge in the pub and maybe you could win a discounted hitch!

I definitely will be when I can! Thanks for even offering discounts to begin with. 

Just got a chance to slide under the rear end and take a second look.  Some observations, first I think mikekaz1's upper shackle eye bolt may be inserted backwards.  Or, at least the FSM has that bolt inserted from the outside of the frame rail with the nut on the inside.  I laid a straight edge across the hump in the bumper bracket and measured the gap between straight edge and the shackle bracket.  The gap seems unavoidable.  It measured 5/16".  The torque on that bolt is 65ft/lbs.  Shimming that space seems like a real good idea.

IMG_5218.JPG_small.jpg.d190bc68423a5432c25425726ce5645e.jpgIMG_5231.JPG_small.jpg.972fe6e99fbad7366aaf1bad07ae0b0c.jpgIMG_5230.JPG_small.jpg.2cee9faaad6587ada24d56e6705aa594.jpg

Just got a chance to slide under the rear end and take a second look.  Some observations, first I think mikekaz1's upper shackle eye bolt may be inserted backwards.  Or, at least the FSM has that bolt inserted from the outside of the frame rail with the nut on the inside.  I laid a straight edge across the hump in the bumper bracket and measured the gap between straight edge and the shackle bracket.  The gap seems unavoidable.  It measured 5/16".  The torque on that bolt is 65ft/lbs.  Shimming that space seems like a real good idea.

IMG_5218.JPG_small.jpg.d190bc68423a5432c25425726ce5645e.jpgIMG_5231.JPG_small.jpg.972fe6e99fbad7366aaf1bad07ae0b0c.jpgIMG_5230.JPG_small.jpg.2cee9faaad6587ada24d56e6705aa594.jpg

If the frame is straight then yes, should be 1/4" I guess since that's what the top spacers on the hitch are.

Maybe I have mine tightened to the shackle...not sure.
Doesn't seem to cause a problem so far on mine. But yes, spacers would be a good solution.

7 hours ago, DesertRat1991 said:

Some observations, first I think mikekaz1's upper shackle eye bolt may be inserted backwards.  Or, at least the FSM has that bolt inserted from the outside of the frame rail with the nut on the inside.

I have to agree with this, now that I think about it, all the MJs I've seen have the top shackle bolts going inward.

On 10/4/2017 at 9:27 PM, krustyballer16 said:

But I won't be adding it to all of them since only short beds use them and we've only had one hitch like this so far....

Sorry Mike. Lol

Haha.  It's all good!  I'm still thoroughly happy with my outcome.   The hitch has been infinitly useful

11 hours ago, DesertRat1991 said:

3 hours ago, Dzimm said:

I have to agree with this, now that I think about it, all the MJs I've seen have the top shackle bolts going inward.

Yeah.  It was easier to install the bolt in the opposite orientation.   Cool thing about bolts... they are reversible 😉

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

FINALLY GOT my, “ Endangered Specie”, MJ Hitch ! ! !

I’ve got a 1989 LWB Comanche with the metric tonne leaf springs but couldn’t find a tow hitch or get anyone that really wanted to take the time to fabricate one to specs.

Its been about a 11 month search off and on. .

I ran across an ad while digging on a post on U-Haul hitch’s, on this forum.....

“krustyballer” , had wrote that he now made comanche LWB/ SWB tow hitches..

I finally located where to contact him,  ordered the hitch Aug 13 (2018) , he had it ready to go, mounted on a pallet, and shipped by Aug 17...around noon from IN, USA ;

It was delivered by Aug 23rd at 8:36 A.M and I live In Alberta, Canada. .! I was impressed !

The Hitch was VERY well packaged with bolts all intact, not so much as a scratch or bump in it. Beautiful design & workmanship.!

All cuts, holes & welds are quality and neat, All holes drilled explicit to fit with the OEM rear bumper bracket holes.

I really like the plate to bolt to the bumper step.. It was short about a half inch for my particular bumper set up, but was easy to extend slightly via a sandwich  plate bolted in.

I am extremely happy with the design of the safety chain hook-up, being a plate welded to the bottom of the receiver tube, with 1” holes on either side of the hitch. It looks sharp and is perfect for getting a descent size chain through. Nice and sturdy...no flimsy bendable stuff ! ! !

I’ll include a few pictures of it installed..

After applying POR15 and a coat of paint, installation was a matter of minutes.  EXTREMELY fast & easy

-  Simply remove the 3 farthest rear bumper bracket bolts. On both sides......

- put hitch brackets in place and bolt in his 6 grade 8 bolts (included In PKG). Back into those 6 bumper bracket holes.

OPTIONAL

-- drill and bolt to the rear bumper if you want that also. His hitch comes with a plate welded on the upper side of the receiving tube so that option is made simple and 

easy.

-- The hitch plate Krusty has, comes with a lower hole in each of the mounting plates so you can put a brace plate from each of the leaf spring shackle bolts to that lower hitch plate hole on each side, as seen in the pictures.(For the long wheel base, it already bolts up and fits the swb shackle bolt.)

- Put your hitch on ... Hook up trailer...apply a few wires .... Safety chain hooked up and It’s “GO TIME” ! ! !

Everything was designed and fabricated to align perfectly. No Mods needed, my own bumper bolt up needed about a 1/4 - 1/" longer out the back to reach the bumper plate bottom holes. No Issue at all and it was a cinch to mod with an extra plate.

THANKS !, krusty for putting the time, effort, and heart into making something worth spending money on that works, looks nice, is a pleasure to install and will certainly last !

I can literally say, “THE BEST IS BUILT NOT BOUGHT”, in regards to your product !  

Only one “ BUT “ .........

When I contacted you,  you thought all Canada was maple syrup land........

.BUT..truth be known....Canada itself, as a whole Is much more prideful than that !      ;)      :’(

I wanted to share this , “quality listening” song , just so you could appreciate these far western provinces more lol    https://youtu.be/dArq71f1RGU

Hitch_Pic_1.JPG

Hitch_pic_2.JPG

Hitch_Pic_3.JPG

Hitch_Pic_4.JPG

Hitch_pic_5.JPG

Hitch_pic_6.JPG

Hitch_pic_7.JPG

Hitch_pic_8.JPG

2 hours ago, jdk said:

When I contacted you,  you thought all Canada was maple syrup land........

.BUT..truth be known....Canada itself, as a whole Is much more prideful than that !      ;)      :’(

I wanted to share this , “quality listening” song , just so you could appreciate these far western provinces more lol    https://youtu.be/dArq71f1RGU

jdk - We love Beaver in the eastern provinces too.   

d2ff582421c0d63a9af4941c236c5f2e.jpg

• 1 month later...
How will these hitches fit with this style bumper? ae4db65aa8c0ef20b03e51b49979c1d1.jpg
Any bracket interference or anything? Haven’t seen any pictures with this bumper and a hitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Theres a bunch of pics with that bumper in here. The hitch fits well with it

Went back through the thread on my laptop and all the pictures are stock bumpers except one or two and their bumper was much higher than mine. I guess I'll just have to get some money rounded up and test it out.
Send some better pics of the bumper and measure from bottom of tailgate to bottom of bumper

Send some better pics of the bumper and measure from bottom of tailgate to bottom of bumper

I can get some pictures and measurements tonight probably, but definitely by tomorrow evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk