Replacing the clutch

I know you're past this, but in case someone is searching, instead of using a puller or packing grease/bread use wet toilet paper. Wet it, stuff it in, pack with a large punch/bolt/steel rod, repeat. This method was posted by HKB3 and really works GREAT, with minimal mess.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Researched and figured it all out. Loctite was applied. Tranny is back in! Gonna reconnect everything else slowly as I come in from work in the mornings. Hoping everything goes as planned!

Good stuff! I saw that you had the same issue I did with the 2 piece pilot bearing coming out.  I managed to get mine with a slide hammer puller, but it was a long and frustrating experience.  Soon you will be driving again, and you can spend the first couple hundred miles sweating about if you did it right.  After that, and the clutch is broke in, you can enjoy your hard work lol.

I've been sweating so bad about if its put in correctly lol, still gotta install the rest of the stuff (t-case, driveshafts, fluid, ect) but it should be back together next week. Then just to test the clutch out and have a buddy come pick it up to take to a shop with a renix scanner to get it running smooth! Then fuse block change. And all sorts of goodness to come :D

• 2 weeks later...

oADPtDb.jpg

The clutch works! Gosh it starts off so smoothly now!!! I'm thrilled! Saved a bunch of money and gained so much knowledge changing it myself. Thanks for all the help, guys! Oh, and check out the bullbar I got a couple months ago. Been wanting one of them since I got the truck :D now just to do the fuse block and get it in a shop and I think I'll be good on drivability problems for now and can move on to upgrades!

Now here's a quick question, of course. I gravity bled about 3/4's of a quart of fluid through the clutch system just to make sure its done well. And my pedal is softer than it was? It isn't spongey or anything. Just easier to push in. And after the first half it gets easier to push in. Is all of this normal? Also my clutch releases wayyyy lower, It's pretty awesome so far :D

Softer feel but not spongy is most likely just the pressure plate design. As long as the clutch fully engages/disengages, then I wouldn't worry.  The low clutch engagement is a good thing too, that means there's lots of clutch (it's new).  It's when the release point is really high that tends to be a good sign of a worn clutch that will need replacing soon.

P.S.  Take care not to floor it, or rev to high, for a couple hundred miles.  Avoid interstate driving as well, and avoid sustaining the same RPM for extended periods.  You want to make sure that clutch breaks in properly.

Mine only had an 1/8" of pedal once it started grabbing. Horribly high. Thats the entire reason I changed it. And as far as I can tell it's fully engaging and disengaging. It doesn't seem to have trouble sitting still in gear with the clutch disengaged. And engaging seems correct. I just have to get used to an all new pedal feel now!

Yeah, I had to re-learn to clutch when I did my AX-15 swap.  The clutch in front of the BA10 in my truck was the factory original unit and was a bit worn.  It took me a few days to be smooth again (good ol' herky jerky starts)