1991 short bed metric ton DD build

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got 10 bolt on spst relays and harnesses off of amazon for $10+2day shipping. Wired up my low/highs off of that. Still have to neaten up the wires a little. But work significantly better then factory! It really is a huge improvement

• 2 weeks later...

How much did the leafs set you back? And, I would guess that bushings are easily swappable to keep them "factory"

Leafs were like $550 shipped. My old bushings were toast so I wouldn't have swapped them over. And I'm not really upset about having to upgrade to a bigger (stronger) bolt. Just meant an extra 5minute trip to the hardware store.

finishing up the axle swap, its a CV joint LP D30 axle from a ZJ. we will see how it performs...  also have ZJ solid steering linkage, adjustable upper/lower arms and  (IRO) Iron Rock Offroads benchmark series, double shear pin trac bar/HD bracket, bilstein 5100 shocks, and HD 3.5" ZJ coils

cOCEs94l.jpg

QrMs4Bdl.jpg

Test drove it. All seemed well. Except both calipers were frozen and billowing smoke after my 1/4mile drive. So went all out and replaced both rotors, calipers and pads. Much better now. But still stops like a wet fart, still have to do rear brakes and probably wouldn't hurt to update the booster.

3jLSGSol.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

rebuilt the rear brakes and tied up the proportional valve.... haven't looked into it completely but it looks like the PO ran an additional second brake line and then T'ed it into the brake proportional line... not sure on actual braking help. but i left the rear in the air and hitting the brakes stopped a lot harder with the valve held up still.so i left it like that. and after a test drive it finally doesnt feel like stopping a freight train.

Replaced the ignition switch today to try and solve some funky issues I've been having last couple weeks. First when tuening the truck off there would be a weord electrical "thud" and then the radio would randomly forget its memory. Then the battery would keep dying if I left it more then a couple hours, even tho nothing was visually powered. So we will see if this solved it! Only $18 at napa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Honestly don't know... came with the truck when I bought it. Its MJ/XJ specific as the mounts are perfectly angled for the bumper. But the uprights are narrower then the frame mounts. So it really only mounts to the bumper skin. No real frame reinforcement. So it actually would probably suck in an accident or something.

Honestly don't know... came with the truck when I bought it. Its MJ/XJ specific as the mounts are perfectly angled for the bumper. But the uprights are narrower then the frame mounts. So it really only mounts to the bumper skin. No real frame reinforcement. So it actually would probably suck in an accident or something.

I think I dig it!  

When the time comes to fab up a front bumper I'm likely to mimic something like that over a "stinger" hoop-style...  Great pic too  . :MJ 1: .

Nice! That background makes it pop!

I think I dig it!  

When the time comes to fab up a front bumper I'm likely to mimic something like that over a "stinger" hoop-style...  Great pic too  . :MJ 1: .

thanks! gotta love fall time!       I much prefer the pushbar / brushguard style over the stinger look.