1991 short bed metric ton DD build

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice thread and Jeeps! (now I know who's buying up everything on Craigslist around here! :thumbsup: )

Did you put the Metric Ton springs in yet?

I'm thinking of getting a set for my 89' 2wd SB (220lb me + 2000lbs of pellets should test the 2205 rating :yes: )

Flare instal looks good so far, do they look like they'll flex, or break if/when they rub trees?

Keep the pics coming :cheers:

I haven't put the metric springs in yet. These are still the (sigh) factory 900lb springs. This one I actually got in lower CT like two years ago. My first and favorite. I really like the flares, they are WAY thicker then my bushwackers I had on my TJ before. The only complaint I (kinda) have is the edge trim. Its an L shaped edge trim. With only one adhesive edge. And some of the tight body line curves don't stick as well as I'd like. For now its OK and will stay but I may swap it out with just regular C channel door trim.

Do you mean the edge trim on the inside between the flare and the body? I never even noticed that was a separate piece.

Flares look like a nice option for me,

only concern is one would smash the first time I rubbed a tree.

Thanks!

Do you mean the edge trim on the inside between the flare and the body? I never even noticed that was a separate piece.

Flares look like a nice option for me,

only concern is one would smash the first time I rubbed a tree.

Thanks!

Ya its a stick on trim. Bushwacker uses a C channel that works very well. I'm guessing you could just buy door edge trim and use that without issue. All its really for it to prevent rubbing/scratching against the body

Installing the hell creek metric ton springs! Got to it sooner then I thought.

Well here's my trusty jack at work!

I7rCILvl.jpg

And here's the comparison between the two

9ngiLN3l.jpg

I measured roughly 7.75in of stock free arch vs 9.5 of metric ton!

Hit some hurdles on the way.... never thought about u bolts... yep there too short. Need to find longer ones. Also my new shackles use a a bigger bolt then factory so I went to rockys and found that 5/8" bolt fits nicely in the bushing which then is too small for the frame holes so i need to drill them out some... then once i got home i realized the hell creek springs use a bigger front eyelet bolt also. But its too big for a m14 but too small for a 5/8. So gotta go back and find more bolts tomorrow.

group picture

lgQyOLgl.jpg

This is what I have imagined my backyard turning into in the future if this jeep addiction doesn't stop...

Two years ago I drove a leased vw jetta. Now I own an xj, tj, mj, and a square-body chevy, and never looking back to dealerships or repair shops!

little poser shot with some of the new badges i made up

RtwfR8Yl.jpg

I don't think metric ton leafs makes you a 3/4 ton truck... but I like the badges, what did you paint with?

Eh I thought the 2500 badges were cool. And I got them from the junkyard for free. I just scuffed them all, painted them black with spray paint and then used regular green paint with a small brush. Then cleared them.

Finish the other side, make sure nothing is tightened, just snugged up to allow movement of the spring and shackle bolts. Lower it down, then jump up and down on the bumper to settle everything, even back it in up your driveway then forward, then snug/torque it all up. Then your axle centering should look like it was originally.

Finish the other side, make sure nothing is tightened, just snugged up to allow movement of the spring and shackle bolts. Lower it down, then jump up and down on the bumper to settle everything, even back it in up your driveway then forward, then snug/torque it all up. Then your axle centering should look like it was originally.

I haven't done the other side yet. But I didn't tighten anything till it was on its own weight. I really don't want it to look like it was (Haha). And I'm contributing it to how warn and flattened the old ones were. But I do know everything will settle.