yellaheep

Crown Vic Interceptor........ may be my newest daily driver.....

It sure looks killer........Where'd you get the Cobra chin spoiler from? I definitely want to add one to mine.

So the "cobra chin spoiler" what is this off of? A mustang I assume? what year?

Well now I did it, got an 04 Mercury Marquis unlimited edition at auction for cheap. It was a donation vehicle, no damage, no rust, nice inside too. Didn't really know what I bought until I got it home and started checking it out. It sure is loaded up with options. Heated leather, radio etc. controls on steering wheel, factory CD changer in the truck, and rear air bag suspension.

41074765_05X.JPG

41074765_01X.JPG

Be aware than the offsets between 02 and older and 03 and newer are VERY different.  The early crown vics had nearly a 0 offset stock, while 03+ had a +50mm offset.  Otherwise, as he said above, most 5x4.5 (5x114.3) wheels will work.  Pay attention to the center hub diameter though

Yep.

The Challenger wheels photo'd will be a direct fit for '03 and newer.  My '02 and earlier require a 1.25" - 1.5" spacer.

Just tried the Challenger wheels on the 04 Merc. They hit the front calipers to the point you can't seat the rim on the rotor.

What is the width and offset of said wheels?

Also, keep in mind that even if those specs are accurate, the wheel face itself was not designed for the brakes the vic has, but instead the brakes that the Challenger uses.  They may not clear without a spacer.

Well, time to resurrect yet another of my old threads....... this post has kind of a deja-vu kind of theme....  December '15 I'd sold the 'Vic and picked up a 5.9 R/T Dakota.

Dakota got sold in '16.

Here I am now in August '18...... and have both a Dakota and a 'Vic again...... lol!

I've posted the Dakota before but for this thread I'll just re-iterate - Kenne Bell supercharged 5.2 and Hurst 5 speed, lowered suspension.  

IMG_20171002_141224796.jpg.0c54c5a53e6dfc6ba19cd28b27eddcc4.jpg

And a couple weeks ago, I brought home an '08 P71 'Vic with 84K miles (and only 1172 running hours.....) and the rediculous water based paint peel issue. Super clean inside as it was a supervisor car, so never had a cage in it and the agency that had it, used a unitized center console for computer and radio so no holes in the dash.  They put a brand new windshield in, tinted the windows and cleared out the massive police wiring harness too.  '06-'11 'Vics have the big brakes, big sway bars, heavy duty springs/suspension.... in short..... amazing track cars.  Which is what this one will be for me.  Road Course and Auto Cross time!

IMG_20180716_141322837.jpg.7301a90dd2395eadc1dc7c9bac69e3c1.jpg

I actually have a build fund for this car, so this is happening.  Already grabbed up a set of 6 track tires (235/55/17 Nokian Z Line summer performance) for a whopping $580.  Will be placing a Jegs order for an Accel coil pack set and NGK plugs, PowerStop Z26 front and rear drilled/slotted rotor and pad kit, and possibly an OBD2 digital gauge interface so I can keep an eye on the temps, pressures, conditions.  I intend to hit the junk yards to find the push bar bracket that sticks out of the front bumper so I can fab up a D-ring mount/track tow point (worn out taxi P71's are getting dumped by the hundreds into the yards around here).  Gonna get it re-painted white, will flat black the hood, add a Mach 1 chin spoiler and picked up a custom trunk spoiler that will be flat black, and thinking of putting a Boss 302 style hockey stick or "C" side stripe kinda thing just to break up all that white..... and kinda fit the theme I seem to have going with the Hellcat and Dakota.   Or maybe get silly and paint the wheels Brass Monkey (like the Hellcat) and put a black vinyl Hello Kitty graphic where the Hellcat head would be on the fender.....lol.

If I find that I really take to the road course thing, I'll add a 6 point cage and harnesses and maybe some performance mods to boost HP (maybe a belt driven hair dryer since all my other rides are "aspirationally enhanced"....:D

I've thrown these cars around our training track back when we used to do pursuit driving training (a BMW club owned road course track) for years and they're a hoot!  So, since my insurance (and my wife) won't let me run the Hellcat on the track, this will have to do.  All said and done, I'll have maybe $4500/$5000 into it.

So, yeah..... I'm no longer a Comanche owner.  I've developed other interests and am pursuing them.... but Comanche's will always occupy a huge part of my soul - automotively speaking anyway.  So, if y'all don't mind - I'll hang around, watch you guys play with your MJ's.

ownership was never a requirement for membership. :L:  besides, it's only a matter of time before you're contemplating a track MJ :D  

I didn't realize they upgraded the brakes again.  once upon a time we had a late 90s Grans Marquis that I eventually swapped out all the brakes (and other stuff) from an '02 in order to get the "big brakes" and eliminate the grandma-mobile ride.  I may need to stop by and take yours for a test drive some day. :D  

I spent the past 18yrs of my career with the P71 Interceptor. They do have some quirks, but very solid vehicles.

I have a co-worker with a 98 P71 that has 345k on it. He drives 80mi round trip to work\home every day in it. It's been tweaked to the point he's getting 21mi per gallon. He also has an 04 P71 drag car. Twin turbo 5.4 under the hood. It's a freaking beast.

12 hours ago, yellaheep said:

... and put a black vinyl Hello Kitty graphic where the Hellcat head would be on the fender.....lol.

YES!!!

Glass packs and 2.5" black tips installed today.  Definitely NOT a cop car anymore, no sneaking up on anyone....lol.

PeteM:  Yeah the P71 wheels are the tattletales of the brakes the car has.  '06-'11 wheels have a serious off set and negative dish to them to accommodate the quite large calipers.  The PowerStop Z26 brakes were ordered last night so I'm looking forward to seeing the difference as the OEM brakes are pretty damn good - this coming from a guy that is used to the amazing brakes on the Hellcat.

I'm about $4400 into this car now and not much else on the list to buy for it other than a cheapie paint job so I'll "done" with the build at just under $6K I'm projecting.