Change of Insurance for my mj

buxmj

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

But comprehensive won't cover you for hitting a deer. That's a "collision." Comprehensive is for non-moving type stuff -- fire, flood, theft, tree falls on the roof -- that sort of thing.

That’s not really accurate. Easy to verify with your agent. 

3 hours ago, Tsalagi said:

That’s not really accurate. Easy to verify with your agent. 

I don't have an agent -- I deal directly with the insurance company. If you think what I posted is incorrect, how about telling us what you think is incorrect?

who needs comprehensive car insurance coverage?

Pretty much all drivers are subject to the risks mentioned above, so the short answer to the question is, "Almost everybody." Take animal collisions, for example. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, there are more than 1.5 million deer-vehicle collisions every year, resulting in over $1 billion in vehicle damage — and that's just deer-vehicle collisions.

https://www.esurance.com/info/car/myth-comprehensive-covers-everything

Comp does cover animal collisions.

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

I don't have an agent -- I deal directly with the insurance company. If you think what I posted is incorrect, how about telling us what you think is incorrect?

Comprehensive is all I had when I hit a deer and got 1800$ from Geico. A deer is an "act of God" which Comprehensive covers according to the adjuster that handled my claim. Collision is for anything that has wheels according to him.

1 hour ago, Knucklehead97 said:

Comprehensive is all I had when I hit a deer and got 1800$ from Geico. A deer is an "act of God" which Comprehensive covers according to the adjuster that handled my claim. Collision is for anything that has wheels according to him.

Interesting. Apparently different companies have different rules. I'm insured with Amica, and they consider hitting a deer to be a collision.

However, they did fix the roof of my XJ when a rotten branch fell off a huge tree just as I was driving under it. They decided the tree hit me rather than me hitting the tree, so it wasn't a "collision." The other nice aspect of Amica's comprehensive is that it includes glass, so if I get a stone chip in a windshield, comprehensive will pay to have it epoxy injected (if it's small enough, and not directly in the driver's line of sight) or replaced.

Yeah. It really depends on the company. For mine, third-party (legal minimum) is going to cover whatever I hit; collision covers my vehicle when I hit something, and comprehensive covers everything else, (trees, hit&run) including wildlife.

And where I live, wildlife isn't necessarily when you hit something. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/jasper-national-park-elk-rutting-season-dangers-1.4832370

elk-holes-in-truck.jpg

11 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

Had an unusual animal "collision" years ago when I lived in VA while towing my boat in the early AM heading for the fishing lake. Came blasting around a corner on a quiet country road and came upon a flock of vultures feasting on a dead dog or something directly in my path. The vultures all started to fly up and rise, but one monster vulture loaded with dead meat rose up just to windshield height. I hit the bastid at about 60, it crashed through the passenger side windshield, and landed on on my front seat. I'm frantically trying to stop while this monster bird is alternately flapping around, puking, and trying to bite me. Ever smell buzzard puke?  :crazy:  Got my truck stopped, ran out of the cab, and grabbed a shovel I had in the bed and beat the crap out it. Destroyed my front seat too. Truck was an old S10, I didn't care. True story - can't make up stuff like this.

Oh, and comprehensive covered it all, including a new front bench and fumigation.