Bosch aftermarket fuel pump installation

I just finished installing my aftermarket Bosch 69302 fuel pump onto my sending unit. Thought I would post up some pics with a small note on the slight southern "finessing" that you must do to make it fit correctly because I couldn't find a write up and its something thats a little confusing when you first look at it.

To start off, this is a Bosch 69302 fuel pump replacement kit. The kit comes with spacers and an extended elbow and all that fancy stuff because the aftermarket pump is noticably smaller than the original and requires some extra pieces to make it work.

here's the finished product

The top black part is the rubber piece in the kit with the wide hole. The bottom one is the small holed one with 8 even smaller holes.

here's where you have to "finesse" the bracket a little bit

On the left side of the bracket in that picture (the side that bolts onto the sending unit) if you compare the picture to the bracket off your own unit, you'll probably find that mine is more round. Thats what you have to grind it to be like. Its just to clear the white spacer so that the bracket seats completely onto the black rubber piece and keeps the fuel pump sturdy.

I did use the plug extender simply because on the new pump the connectors are close together and looked like they would arc off each other if they weren't shielded.

Its pretty easy to do and only takes about a half hour once you figure out what you're doing. Hope it helps someone :D any questions are welcome.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Yes, it is a bit confusing the first time you do the new smaller Bosch fuel pump change. It's the same basic adaptation procedure for the HO MJ senders too.Thanks for taking the time to snap some pics; I'm sure this will help others.   :thumbsup: 

• 1 month later...

Hello Knucklehead. This is my second post. It's been several months since I got some help with my CPS. I hope I remembered to thank Pete and others who gave support. Been what seems like a very long time and can't even remember who I was speaking with. Was a wicked winter for me. So I got the Bosch fuel pump because of the noise I'm hearing. Can Even hear it in the cab now. Question is am I going to have to beat the snot out of this thing to get it off and if so am I catching the lock ring at a proper point. Haven't done one of these for I'll bet 25 yrs. can I impose on u to post a photo of the lock ring and the points I can strike on to loosen it? I may b expecting the 25 yr old ring to pop off too easily! After I learn to navigate the site better ill post pics myself. What do most of you use to post pics? Was looking at Tapatalk but need to consult my tech savvy wife and kids first I guess. Anyway it still runs but is very loud. Keep spraying PBlaster and pounding away. Just worry about damaging something in the process ( like a hole in the gas tank )

88 pioneer 4.0

231 tcase (where can we get chains?)

4wd

Short box

Worked through Cruisers tips and will update grounds as I'm able. All else seems well and is still a stock truck. Feel like I'm rambling on so now u talk I'll listen and take a breath

Cruisers a good guy and will teach you wonders about these beautiful vehicles. ash98u7.jpg I usually use photobucket but there was to many ads and my phone couldnt handle it. I just tried Imgur (hope it posted it) and I like it way more. Just copy the BB code and paste it! But in the picture the blue circles are around the little tabs I used to knock it loose. I used a multi head screwdriver handle without the head in it. Flat head screwdriver just seems iffy because it might knock the tab off. The arrow shows the direction to be hitting them. Counterclockwise and the image is from under the truck looking up. I climbed under the drivers side of the bed and took it. Changing a pump on these things is so easy... if you can get the ring off. Luckily mine came off no problem and I reused it. BTW the aftermarket lockring kit is crap. The lock ring doesnt fit and the gasket doesnt seal. Gotta fix mines gasket because of that. Just keep trying!!!

Also there is a ballast resistor on the drivers side of the engine compartment (I think 88's had them?) It quiets down the pump and supposedly makes it last longer. I bypassed mine because it was broken down and the aftermarket one I bought made my pump not work right. But the Bosch pump can't even be heard when bypassed unless you have less than a half tank

I WAS wrongfully pounding on the outer part of the ring! Can't wait to get this done so I can move on to other issues. I'll lose the ballast resistor and splice the wires together? Is this a recommendation or just a matter of course for when the resistor finally fails?

Anyway got the Wife a ZJ about three yrs ago and caught the JEEP FEVER! After about a few months saw an MJ for the first time and went nuts. Found mine a year later. Don't know if I have the timeline correct but funny thing is I was reading over the CC posts for what seems like a year before I even got the truck! I guess I was preparing myself for lots of wrenching. Plus it's my DD so gotta keep it up!

Will check imgur so I can start sharing. Thanx for the photo. Loads of help as I've had the new pump waiting here for like two weeks while trying to figure out a simple lock ring. Thank You!

No problem man! The resistor could already be failing. Easy to check, just unbolt it from the firewall and see if the ceramics inside are cracked (thats how I told mine was bad) and I didn't splice them together. I just built a jumper wire so if I want to add a resistor for some reason in the future, I can.

Hey can I bother you to throw me another pic plz? Should prob just set up the jumper. Being a mediocre mechanic I'd hope to get it right the first time! Not something I need to guess at.

I'm noticing that most people have at least one set of fog lights and here in VA the inspector made me remove mine when I got my first inspection. (truck came from MD but don't think it was its original home) Sez they must go OFF if I hit my high beams. Sounds like crap to me but like I said I live in VA.

Man! My avatar got chopped!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow what an ordeal but thnx for posting the fuel sender pics. Beat the ring up pretty bad and couldn't get one from AA so had to beat it back into shape and reinstall it so I could come to work today! Will have to check AZ and oreily for a replacement. Or napa? So on to the resistor bypass!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx guys. Fuel pump was a breeze after getting the lockring off. Glad it wasn't destroyed because AA didn't have any and, working in the dark, had to reuse it. Had to reform it a little with a ball peen on the anvil side of the bench vise but got it straightened out and all is good!

Thanx guys. Fuel pump was a breeze after getting the lockring off. Glad it wasn't destroyed because AA didn't have any and, working in the dark, had to reuse it. Had to reform it a little with a ball peen on the anvil side of the bench vise but got it straightened out and all is good!

Dorman 55810 is the lock ring and better o ring . It's listed for GM vehicles but it's the same . Any parts store should have it on hand .

Dorman 55810 is the lock ring and better o ring . It's listed for GM vehicles but it's the same . Any parts store should have it on hand .

thats really good to know. Considering the kit the parts store gave me with the lockring and giant oring to seal up the sending unit didn't work at all. Having to reseal the sending unit soon and the lockring was destroyed trying to install it... luckily my old one was perfect condition and could be reused.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great write up and should prove very helpful this weekend. I especially appreciate the pics.

What keeps the fuel screen from sliding off? Or do I have the wrong one?

Airtex FS104

If you can swing it I'd go with the Bosch pump, the airtex pumps are poor quality .

There is a locating tab for the screen / strainer on the lower ring of the fuel sender , between the force of the strainer being pushed on the pump and slightly crimping the locating tab it will stay in place just fine .

Bosch , Delphi , AC delco , carter , precision then airtex . are my opinion from best to worst pumps . There are other brands I'm sure but that's my personal experience .

I've bought the Bosch in this write up and it looks like it'll fit after I grind the top metal ring a little more round. The strainer screen I mentioned loosely fits on the Bosch pump, and not all the way. I think I'll take the pump to auto parts store and try to find better fitting screen.

Does the screen/strainer rest on the tank bottom? Does that help keep it in place?

• 3 weeks later...
Quick question about the Bosch fuel pump installation.  I notice you decided to cut the metal original piece so the plastic spacer would fit.  Could also just trim the top of the plastic spacer so it's below or level with the rubber piece and then not have to cut anything?

Here are some photos...  One shows the plastic piece with the rubber on it, I marked some lines, then was thinking I could just cut the plastic around the lines and it would mount up without issue on the metal piece?

also there was another big rubber circle piece, is that just extra?

thanks!

fuelpumpspacer_rubber.jpg

fuelpumpspacer.jpg

fuelpumprubber.jpg