The Pirate Baboon

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Made it back home! To my surprise, things weren't all that sketchy either. A little... but something had to be expected. I was keeping up with traffic just fine, but I can just about guarantee that everyone else wasn't going 88 like my speedometer said.  :laughin:

Cleaning up the shop this morning only to make a new mess. I was trying to find a home for a pile of tube and the decision was made that the best way to organize it was to turn it into something!

It's obviously on the Eliminator, but that's really just because I didn't want to rearrange vehicles. Going to have to pull a door off to make up some hinges but I'll wait until spring for that. Then comes in the issue of the wiring in the doors. I think what I want to do is relocate the speakers to the kick panels and to use two way momentary switches in the center console to control the windows similar to what the factory did in the Liberty. I think there's some broken wires between the a-pillar and the drivers door that's causing some windows to not work... sometimes the door buzzer works, sometimes not... same with the buzzer for the when the headlights are on. Plan is to simplify things.

• 3 weeks later...

Started another project for this thing again. I was planning on starting on the rear flares but I want to wait until the 31s are replaced. Ah well...

... 'cuz roof basket. Right now I have a spare, a star wrench, a jug of oil, coolant, other such random steel bits all in the back of the Jeep. Granted, most of that will be either stored away properly or removed all together. Thinking ahead and planning on where to put a high lift or a shovel, I cringe at the thought of hearing all that rattling around inside the Jeep. So? Put that $#!& on the roof! Not sure if the spare will end up there too or if I'll hang it off the rear bumper. We shall see, I suppose.

Started thinking about wiring in the winch today. Picked up some wiring stuff... couple switches... other such fun things... pretty much everything for an in-cab control. See, a number of years ago, someone decided that I didn't need some of the things in my old shop (without asking for my permission to do so, of course) and one of these things was my recovery bag with the winch controller. Being that it's an older winch, WARN doesn't carry replacements. Since then, the winch was hung on the front of my Eliminator and then never used again. Well, now that it's on a vehicle that I have full intentions of using it on, it's probably a good idea to make it functional again. I wired in an in-cab control when it was on another one of my previous MJs and it was all sorts of handy but still kind of a pain when I was out of the truck. Then I found THIS!

image_21892.jpg

Did some digging and apparently there's a bunch of people hard wiring these things on just about any winch, plows, and pretty much anything else that uses power in two directions. Found a wiring diagram and BAM!... I had to have one. Should be here sometime this week and now I'm very excited to have such a fun toy. I'll have to be sure to use it frequently!

Did you ever remedy the oil pan issue?

Not yet... been waiting for some warmer weather for a few things on it. There's the oil pan that the plug is all screwed up... the rear axle that I'd really like to know if the spider gears are welded just to themselves or if they're welded to the carrier too... it needs brakes...  :thwak:

On another note, just sealed the deal on some 33" MTRs for it that'll be happening sometime in the next few weeks.

Thanks dude!

Had a good morning working on this pile again. Started with taking care of some rust and "massaged" body panels and then got back to the roof basket. For the quarter panels, I went higher than most do when cutting, but everything was pretty mangled on the driver's side. Made room for a future wrap around bumper.

Also found that some of the wiring behind the taillights needs some attention. Lots of corrosion and when I put everything back together I found that the parking lights don't work on the passenger side. As for the basket, right now the plan is to keep the spare hanging off the rear bumper but I also wanted the option of putting it up on the roof if need be. The four supports are all lighter gauge 3/4" tubing and the center is a big beefy length of 4" channel. Not sure if I'll add any "cool guy" lights to it, but I threw on some tabs just in case.

Obviously everything needs to be finish welded, but I wanted to get it all together first. Then came the main event!

It's a bit higher than it'll be once it's on its own mounts. As for the mounts themselves, They're a big clamp that sit down in the drip rail.

The 90* bend needs to be cut way down to a smaller lip. I also need to add a little bit of a bend to the straight pieces because the basket came up a bit shorter than it should... that's what I get for using leftover crap. Got a little distracted after that so I put it on hold. Went back to the tube doors because it's a nice day outside and that got me thinking about them again. I was hoping that I could get away easy and just use some gate latches even though everyone online says that they don't fit too well on the '97+ latch pins. Well... they're right. I figured I already had them so they got modified to work. Drilled out the rivet and built up the inner part of the latch so it would fit the smaller latch pin. Figured while I was in there that I'd add a tab that I can put a spring on just to make sure that they don't ever go over center. Then I got distracted AGAIN and started thinking about the rear bumper.

That is all for now.

Perhaps... I really only intended to put something on the roof for a place to mount a high lift and some other stuff. Things probably got a little out of hand and bigger than I needed though.  :roll: