Wrenches Gone Wild!!!

I'm not gonna lie, that's flat out the most impressive teardown and rebuild I've yet seen

keep it up, and keep the pics comin! jamminz.gif :cheers:

Thanks for the support. :cheers:

It's been slow, but I manage to FUBAR things when I get in a hurry.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not gonna lie, that's flat out the most impressive teardown and rebuild I've yet seen

keep it up, and keep the pics comin! jamminz.gif :cheers:

Agreed , great to see more real restoration of the mj for daily driving , not just the trail . hopefully mine will come along as well as yours . -Andy

• 2 months later...

Well, finally got off our @sses to get this thing back together. Have been collecting parts and what not for to long.

POR-15'd the floorpan.

35825576536_ea9403749f_b.jpg

Then put two coats of roll in bedliner. Use a low pile roller to keep the texture smooth and re-installed the dash foam.

35825576786_b5285bebc0_b.jpg

Rewrapped the engine wiring harness so we could pass the ones through the firewall that we needed to get the heater/ac box in and put the computer back were it belongs.

35478368540_14c0b30b7d_b.jpg

Installed the 96 xj brake booster and brake pedal to avoid fighting it after the dash was in.

35026697494_fee905fab4_b.jpg

Set the dash in place, however I managed to put a crack in the dash pad when I took it out of the donor. :headpop: It's not to bad and you can barely see it, but I know it's there. May end up finding another.

35697123472_78021e0414_b.jpg

Swapped the power options into the doors.

35478368630_0650ea2832_b.jpg
Still a lot of things to swap out on the dash and hook up. Our plan now is to at least get all the interior stuff put back in, minus the carpet, seats, and console. Then work on the motor and finish up with the axles. Oh and glass will be last. That plan is subject to change as we work our way through all the parts and boxes in the garage. :brows:

:cheers:

dang that is clean.

What kind of roll in bed liner did you use?

Thanks, I used dupicolor bedliner. Not the best product out there but works for what I needed. Just a little protection on top of the POR-15 to help fill in some pin holes in the pan. I'll follow up with a heavy undercoating on the underside to help insure the holes are filled and provide a sound barrier.

i see that you swapped the gauge cluster for one with gauges instead of idiot lights, is that a direct swap? i bought one yesterday and i figured it was just plug and play, but thought i would check anyways.

thanks

sort of...

you will need to replace the temperature sending unit for one for the full cluster and oil pressure sending unit, then you should be good.

Well got a little bit more done. Pulled the bed back off and dropped the rear axle. POR-15 some of the frame and then used chassis coat from POR-15 to paint the frame and under cab.

35478368900_e331f52859_b.jpg
35478368920_17715c4472_b.jpg
35478368940_a6ca5e21b1_b.jpg
35026697964_498582e27e_b.jpg

Still have to do the front forward of the control arms, but that will be later when I redo the suspension. Will pull the leafs apart and get them cleaned up and painted next. Plus will go ahead and undercoat the cab while everything is out of the way.

Slowly but surely. :popcorn:

are going to convert this from 2wd to 4wd or keep original g8 job on this project jamminz.gif

Yep. It's getting the works. 2wd to 4wd, 2.5 to 4.0 , manual to auto, 231 to 242, and D35 to D44.

This has gotta be the slowest build I've watched; other than my own builds that is. At least you're taking the time to make sure everything is up to your standards, that's the important thing. Looks amazing so far, and I for one (as with everyone else on here I'm sure) can't wait to see the finished project. Keep at it, and it'll pay off in the end.

P.S. Don't take any offense to the slow comment. :cheers:

you are taking care to do some of the best work I've ever seen done.

frankly, i'm now ashamed of my work... :oops:

I'm the one that feels ashamed. Over a year and I can't roll it little less drive it. I wish I had your know how and ability to get it done.

It is difinetly the slowest build. The problem I have is for example; I wanted to paint the frame, but wait, I need to remove the bed, but wait, there's no room for it in the other garage, I'll need to move things around, but first I'll need to put the new casters on the folding trailer, now there's room, but then I need to move the donor, beds off, now then I need to POR-15 some spots, but first I need to get the leafs off, oh look at the leafs, I should clean them up and paint them, no wait, get the POR-15 done first, oh crap I need to wipe down the frame with something, (ding dong) oh look its the Fedex guy with my front driveshaft for the TJ, I should put it on, but I need to get new yoke straps from the parts store. Well it's 11:00 pm now and I've got nothing done. So you see I have an issue with prioritizing my projects.

Thanks for all the comments though. It helps me at least feel good about what little progress I make and drives me to keep going.

• 1 month later...
you are taking care to do some of the best work I've ever seen done.

frankly, i'm now ashamed of my work... :oops:

I'm the one that feels ashamed. Over a year and I can't roll it little less drive it. I wish I had your know how and ability to get it done.

It is difinetly the slowest build. The problem I have is for example; I wanted to paint the frame, but wait, I need to remove the bed, but wait, there's no room for it in the other garage, I'll need to move things around, but first I'll need to put the new casters on the folding trailer, now there's room, but then I need to move the donor, beds off, now then I need to POR-15 some spots, but first I need to get the leafs off, oh look at the leafs, I should clean them up and paint them, no wait, get the POR-15 done first, oh crap I need to wipe down the frame with something, (ding dong) oh look its the Fedex guy with my front driveshaft for the TJ, I should put it on, but I need to get new yoke straps from the parts store. Well it's 11:00 pm now and I've got nothing done. So you see I have an issue with prioritizing my projects.

Thanks for all the comments though. It helps me at least feel good about what little progress I make and drives me to keep going.

lol.. yeah I run around like that too!! Then right when you put your hands on it or wipe it down to paint,,, the phone rings!! or called to come in and eat,, or something always!!

NEED MORE ,,, NEED MORE..............Cowbell!!!!!

I can't say it enough, thanks for all the comments and feedback.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

The weather has been screwing up all my plans for like the last 3 weeks. It's either been raining, too cold, or the days it was nice, I was stuck at work. But anyway, I picked up a front axle a couple of weeks back out of an 89 XJ.

35478369190_118948e8d9_b.jpg

At first I thought it had been swapped into the 89 as it was non-disco and had the bigger u-joints. Then after looking underneath I saw the reason, it had a 242 t-case which came with that axle setup.

After degreasing

35026698214_df026f206a_b.jpg

Son earning his dinner. biggrin.png He learned real quick that shorts was not the best thing to wear will using the wire wheel. :brows:

35478369210_fc3162fe60_b.jpg

After the wire wheel

35026698274_ae386c2751_b.jpg

Quick primer than back into the garage because the rain is on it's way again.

35478369280_705d200dd6_b.jpg

You can see the 4.0 under the axle that will be rebuilt. I'm hoping to get another coat of primer and then paint this weekend. I ordered the bushing for the UCA mounts only to have them backordered. :headpop: I also thought about changing the wheel bearing and u-joints however I think I'll wait to see if I need too. Plus it will be easier to do them with the axle under the truck.

Beautiful build up man. But one question. Are the rear defrost and rear wiper switches going to be used for somethng else??

I'll be putting either blanks or other switches there. However, the small crack in the dash pad was more than I could stand so I pulled that dash and put in dash number 2. It was from a 94 XJ and in much better shape.

35057002973_7be2cf0519_b.jpg

35478369330_d9ef30f9b5_b.jpg

Hope to post up more progress soon.