• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I had looked for one of these but I guess not hard enough. I do think I will put the sender for the fans in the radiator and see how that works first. For Christmas I got my relay kits for the fans and last night I ordered my tach so I will have some parts when it gets warmer. Monday I am going to the shop to get the driveshaft made.

Out with the old and in with the new. I have had this Comanche for seven months and today was the first time I have driven it. The guy only charged me $240 for the driveshaft so it was better than the $400 estimate. Now if it would only warm up I could get some more done.

I got the tach yesterday so I thought I would whip it all up. It is slow as heck if you try to do a good job. I bet I have 10 hours just in the gauge cluster. Now I have to tear it all apart and extend all the wires and get it ready to install.

Excellent.

Can you give us a total cost for your gauges?

And will the gas gauge be compatible with the sender?

I bought the gauges off Craigslist for $230 (Jegs was $479) without the tach. They were brand new in box so I got a hell of a deal. The tach was $120. I didn't want a 10,000 RPM tach but in the Phantoms it was all I could find. I bought a generic gas sender to match the ohms of the gauge. Already installed.  We will see if it works. Fingers crossed. I used a mechanical pump for the fuel because of all the things I've read about the troubles with the electric pumps. I don't have a lot of patience with things breaking down.

Yeah, I've been casually looking at gauges, they are expensive.

At some point, if you would, give us a round number break down of what you spent on this build? I'd like to know what you spent at Novak for example, what do you have in your engine..etc.... where the trans came from and cost.

You said you've driven it, and.......?

Yeah, I've been casually looking at gauges, they are expensive.

At some point, if you would, give us a round number break down of what you spent on this build? I'd like to know what you spent at Novak for example, what do you have in your engine..etc.... where the trans came from and cost.

You said you've driven it, and.......?

I have it all but let me tell you the list is long. How about in the morning. The timing and carb need adjusted but she still did decent. I have a heck of a leak around the throttle valve cable at the tranny so I didn't drive it long. It was 12 degrees out yesterday so I froze my buns off doing what I did.

Well,  as of right now I have $6188 in the truck. I know, crazy. I could have bought a LS1 S10 completed for that. But this has been a dream of mine for years and we are empty nesters so now was the time. Here is an abbreviated breakdown:

Rebuilt trans with stall converter and the TCI switch for the overdrive and shifter and driveshaft- $1000 and a 30-06

Engine is a 2 year old GM crate and came with intake/carb, and all accy.  except starter-$1075

Novak radiator, fans, headers, and motor mounts-$1379.41

Truck-$350

Driveshaft-$240

Gauges-$350

Almost the whole brake system is new except the booster and a few short lines and distribution valve. I am going to bite the bullet and upgrade to 95/96 Cherokee system. I replaced all gaskets in engine (used neoprene for valve cover and oil pan). All new braided fuel line. New speedo and throttle cables. $68 for throttle valve and throttle cable brackets that did not line up and had to be sectioned and welded back together. I think this caused my leak at trans because I couldn't adjust right and may have cracked the cable housing or messed up o ring if there is one.  I used all stainless bolt on engine. New mini starter. New battery and tray. And a ton of misc. odds and ends that add up and before you know it you're like how the hell did this happen. LOL. I just got a nice bonus today so I will try to get it in and get the exhaust done (duals with flowmasters) and new tires and brake upgrade and then I have to quit for awhile. The wife wants a remodeled back porch so to keep her happy I better get it done.

Hit another snag yesterday. It seems the engineers at Novak ARE smarter than me. They recommend a small lift but I somehow thought I could get away without it and somehow lower the truck. UH UH. The left suspension arm is hitting the header on compression. So I guess I will hit the ole interweb and see what kind of lift I can scrounge up.

Hit another snag yesterday. It seems the engineers at Novak ARE smarter than me. They recommend a small lift but I somehow thought I could get away without it and somehow lower the truck. UH UH. The left suspension arm is hitting the header on compression. So I guess I will hit the ole interweb and see what kind of lift I can scrounge up.

Scored a 2.5 inch Superlift on ebay. Good or bad?

Welcome to Jeep, the game has begun.

It's never ending, one thing leads to another, which leads to the next.....and so forth.

I would never buy a "kit", but that's just me.

Next you'll find that the bushing in the leaf springs are worn.....Ubolts.......bushing in UCAs.......you'll want an adjustable track bar........

Body work........interior.........electrical......headlight upgrade.......brakes....wheels and  tires.........and on and on.

You'll have $12K invested before you know it.

Welcome to Jeep, the game has begun.

It's never ending, one thing leads to another, which leads to the next.....and so forth.

I would never buy a "kit", but that's just me.

Next you'll find that the bushing in the leaf springs are worn.....Ubolts.......bushing in UCAs.......you'll want an adjustable track bar........

Body work........interior.........electrical......headlight upgrade.......brakes....wheels and  tires.........and on and on.

You'll have $12K invested before you know it.

I know! At first I estimated $7000 and I would have a nice driver. Dang near there and no end in sight. I might have to extend the timeline by a year or so. It looks like it will be at least $10,000 before I'm done. On a good note I did get the trans leak fixed- it was the seal around the throttle valve cable. Somehow it was inside the trans around the cable end. Sucker was tight to get back in. Had to fight it for awhile.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I made the buy of a lifetime today. I bought both complete doors, a headliner, four of the Jeep wheel centers, and a battery tray and hold down all in nice condition for $100 today. The guy is parting out an '87 4x4. He has a pretty good long bed and a bunch of the interior panels, cab, and a bunch of misc. left. He is from around Joplin Mo. and has the truck on Craigslist. Good guy.