1990 short bed resto; TDi, 3-link, coilovers, doubler, JK axles

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the last couple of years I've gone back and forth in my head about a hundred times; TDi? 4.8LS? 318? MegaSquirt-ed 4.0?  

But last week I stumbled upon a local deal I couldn't refuse and took the bait.  My mind has been made up for me!  

8BLNkY2h.jpg?2

A2mdWsah.jpg

Its a 2000 Jetta GL with the ALH engine.  At almost 400k on the clock the engine will definitely need gone through, but it runs and drives.  I'll be pulling all the necessary parts here soon but I won't likely see any swap progress for a long time.  This is the swap part supplier I'm considering.  

Oh well, I'm still excited!  :comanche:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I used shackles for a 1/2ton Chevy Express / GMC Savana van.   

9rl4SMsh.jpg

7T3oW06h.jpg

A word from the experienced: always use copper/nickel brake lines if they're available (cunifer, copperhead, cuneiform, whatever).  Flares like butter, bends clean and easy by hand, and will never rust.  The stuff is awesome!

CWADW5mh.jpg

ZUAT4BFh.jpg

kNJ9sF5h.jpg

I haven't measured the actual ride height yet, but It feels like I'm driving a freakin' Tonka truck :applause:

Now this would be a nice place to say "I drove it in to work and lined her all up and now I drive it everywhere!" except I seem to have broken the frame at the steering box  :crazy:

As they say, "welcome to the upgrade treadmill!"

• 1 year later...

The truck has been making lots of pops and creaks in the steering box region since the SOA and new tires; my suspicion was the usual broken aluminum spacer and/or tearing frame.  After much deliberation I decided to get the JCR steering box brace kit.  If this doesn't suit my fancy later on I can always sell it and go with something else (I really wanted a sector shaft support of some kind but wasn't impressed with the available options).  

To my pleasant surprise this is what I found:

xetSwMah.jpg

ww207jrh.jpg

9QvBswMh.jpg

Crazy, right?!

Got her all painted up and installed the brace kit and steering box.  I haven't driven it enough to really note much of a difference though.  Peace of mind at least.  

f5tz3Cnh.jpg

JvLyGvXh.jpg

YOUn8X5h.jpg?1

nZS8bIWh.jpg?1

Darn the luck, looks like I'll have to fab a new front bumper for her now... :brows:  

I do like the "stubby" look on XJ/MJs...

4.0 AX-15 to TDi adapter kit from Randy at TD Conversions.  This dude (Randy) is active on the boards and has supplied adapters for quite a few completed swaps out there. 

My actual conversion is still a ways out but this is the biggest single puzzle piece.  Gotta slowly acquire the rest as finances allow.  

• 10 months later...

TDi update:

THIS HANGS TOO LOW

A/C bracket and compressor from an '04 Passat 1.8T gasser fit onto my 2000 Jetta ALH. Had to open up an un-used bolt boss and clearance it a bit to fit. Couldn't manage to break the crank bolt loose in the junkyard so I can't confirm it all will line up.  High hopes of leaving the Jetta's accessory drive alone and using it's A/C compressor for on-board air.

KTb6wx9h.jpg

SVmna4Sh.jpg

dKm2jPLh.jpg

• 6 months later...

The truck has been under the knife since this time last year.  Hoping to take care of the rusted rockers and floors, fab up a new cross-member/skid and front bumper, finish the rear bumper, straighten the body, prime and paint.  I toyed with also doing the TDi swap as well but decided to give the 4.0 one more "season."

Sauce:

M0vQZB2h.jpg

ePDsi9Jh.jpg

Jf8M0dmh.jpg

q2io09Fh.jpg

CUvRX7Gh.jpg

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

it kills me a little every time I see someone diving into the rust repair and not pulling up the frame caps, :( 

gotta do it right:D 

I agree! (Obviously)

I'm not looking forward to the floorpan job though. The rust crept pretty far; I'm afraid it'll be just on the border or completely outside of where commonly available patch pieces cover.

Suggestions are welcome.

• A-man930 changed the title to 1990 short bed resto; TDi, 3-link, coilovers, doubler, JK axles