1990 short bed resto; TDi, 3-link, coilovers, doubler, JK axles

2 hours ago, A-man930 said:

So, you're planning on only weld-thorough primer on the entire flange surface?  I would recommend looking into weld-through primer's adhesion properties (or lack thereof).  What I have read indicates that what makes the stuff "weld-through" also greatly diminishes how well the stuff protects from corrosion on the long term.  This is what led me to mask off for a tiny heat-affected-zone around each plug weld area and apply the good stuff to the remaining surface.  What I am unsure of is whether to spray the weld through on these masked off areas right before welding.  But I've not seen much to indicate that the weld itself gains any corrosion resistance from the primer.  

I need to read up on this topic again.

See, this is why I haven't actually so much as struck an arc on my truck yet - I spend way too much time being indecisive.

I am aware that weld-through primer has poor adhesion, hence my attitude of "use it only where it's absolutely needed, use real primer everywhere else" but I'm still undecided as to whether it's better than just leaving the mating area bare.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Minuit said:

See, this is why I haven't actually so much as struck an arc on my truck yet - I spend way too much time being indecisive.

I am aware that weld-through primer has poor adhesion, hence my attitude of "use it only where it's absolutely needed, use real primer everywhere else" but I'm still undecided as to whether it's better than just leaving the mating area bare.

If you have access to a sandblaster, sand blast the surface before using weld through primer. That is what my dad's restoration shop does.

1 hour ago, Minuit said:

When you say "mating area" are you referring to the entirety of the flange, or just the welds themselves?  

1 hour ago, 89 MJ said:

If you have access to a sandblaster, sand blast the surface before using weld through primer. That is what my dad's restoration shop does.

Has he had any opportunities to study the long-term effectiveness of this?  

4 minutes ago, A-man930 said:

When you say "mating area" are you referring to the entirety of the flange, or just the welds themselves?  

Has he had any opportunities to study the long-term effectiveness of this?  

Yes he has. He did a 71 GTO Judge with this method and it has held up for about least 14 years (not 100% sure how long). The owner stores it in a closed up I heated building in the winter and looks the same as it did when the car was finished. And the car gets driven a lot. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I needed to have the transfer case installed to ensure the new control arm brackets weren't in the way, and that led me to pretty solidly decide on engine placement.  The trans mount is sitting about 2" forward from factory (OE crossmember is in place for now) and the adapter is clocked full-passenger.  

IMG_20201018_195553.jpg.631b72ff4182b4c77c0ad0af45964da0.jpg

As-is, the factory Jetta turbo/manifold (VNT15) actuator won't clear the extra A/C compressor's fittings, but it's not impossible to re-clock.  Otherwise it fits! I was assuming I wouldn't have the option to use it. :applause:

LATER DISCOVERED BOTH COMPRESSOR SIT TOO CLOSE TO AXLE FOR MY COMFORT

IMG_20201024_125201.jpg.4bc664aab55843d9cb32737fa524be2a.jpg

Track bar clearance (or lack thereof):

IMG_20201019_155838_01.jpg.d04c5d7f0762a272ab92352726a273ce.jpg

Gonna make a new mount and flip it :brows:

IMG_20201019_193416.jpg.e17a8fec4c9f874c196fc7689cff6092.jpg

• 1 month later...

Progress update: 

Configuring the left engine mounts.  

Mounts themselves are non-hydraulic (cheap) versions of a Passat (B5?) part.  I figured if the thing shakes obnoxiously then I can upgrade to the expensive version of them.  

Still some gusseting, trimming, and minor adjustments needed, but this is the basic idea.

IMG_20201027_202757.jpg

IMG_20201027_202636.jpg

IMG_20201210_224344.jpg

IMG_20201112_195608.jpg

IMG_20201112_195516.jpg

Edited by A-man930
One more picture

• A-man930 changed the title to 1990 Pioneer; restoration, TDi & 3-link in progress
13 hours ago, A-man930 said:

minor concern with the compressor to axle distance

Is it time for more lift or is the compressor going to get relocated? I suppose you could always get longer bump stops to limit your up travel too.

2 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

Is it time for more lift or is the compressor going to get relocated? I suppose you could always get longer bump stops to limit your up travel too.

Short answer:  I'm not sure yet.

Long answer: I'm gonna remove the springs and see exactly how much up travel this clearance allows at the tire; if I'm unhappy with it I'll look into what fitment is like with the upper arm on the other side.  If I move the upper arm to the passenger side then I can cut away the mounting ear on the housing.  

I don't think I want more lift at this point...

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm confident the welds have excellent penetration and I don't see any porosity or other "technical" problems, but they sure aren't pretty :crazy:

One thing I'm getting out of all this welding is plenty of practice with a flap disc! 

PXL_20210602_010325679.jpg

• A-man930 changed the title to 1990 short bed resto; TDi, 3-link, coilovers, doubler, JK axles