Members Map... New and improved and functional!

relyt120

17 hours ago, bluenotenick said:

There is this feature on Google maps. Not sure if it is the right thing for CC, but maybe someone else has some experience with it?

This is what I think the members map was using as a foundation.  I'm looking deeper into it to see if that's the case and we can get the map back.

I did some research on this.  The original post linked to a ZeeMaps map where members have been adding their location for a few years.  Inexplicably following the the footsteps of PhotoBucket, ZeeMaps decided in 2018 to start charging to display any map that had been viewed more than 100 times in it's lifetime.  ZeeMaps usedGoogle Maps as a foundation for it's service, but unfortunately maps created through ZeeMaps are only accessible through their site/API, and that's been cut off.  So we lost access to all the existing map data.

In an effort not to be beaten, we did it better.  There's now a new Google Map with which we've loaded all the public member location information for any members who have a valid location entered, have over 10 posts, and have their profile public (location is presented in their profile).  Here is the new link:

Comanche Club Members Map (Google Maps)

This is a publicly accessible map that anyone can modify.  If you see your location on the map, and don't want it there, remove your marker.  Going forward, if you would like to be added to the map, add a marker for yourself.  If your marker is in the wrong spot, or too close to another marker - move it.  Basically the same game as before - now we're using Google Maps instead of ZeeMaps.  As of today, the map has 1,819 entries. 

I moved mine because my profile is vague.  I also slightly moved all the members that were stacked on top of each other because they just had their profile as BC, so I could select myself.  That's just to explain what happened if there's a change log somewhere that's visible.

3 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

I moved mine because my profile is vague.  I also slightly moved all the members that were stacked on top of each other because they just had their profile as BC, so I could select myself.  That's just to explain what happened if there's a change log somewhere that's visible.

I was hoping members would step up and clean it up just like you did for BC.  Thank you.

members will only show up there if they listed both their town and state.  Just the town would confuse the program and just the state would likely drop it in the middle of the state.  I don't appear anywhere because it doesn't know what to do with "detroit or atlanta"  :doh:

• 3 weeks later...