My "new" 88? (Formerly: Granite State Clean-up - '90 MJ)

Greetings all … I’ve been lurking for a few years and have been a CC member since January 2013.  I’ve had a number of Jeep vehicles over the years.  Present DD is an ’01 XJ and I’m formally introducing my ’90 MJ. 

I have more questions than answers, but I’m a quick study, willing to help and always pay it forward.  I am NOT a mechanic and know just enough to know when NOT to mess with it.

My experience here has been entertaining, educational and I’ve discovered some really good souls. 

My name is Tim and this is my project MJ thread.   

10142012 055.jpg

1990 Pioneer 4X4, auto, 4.0, long box.  As near as I can tell, I’m the 4th registered owner and nearly all the maintenance records came with the truck.  I found it on Winston-Salem, NC Craigslist.  

The seller had accepted the truck as partial payment for a house painting job.  A great guy who was driving the truck daily and took pictures of everything I asked.  After some negotiation, I struck a deal with him and he even coordinated transport to New Hampshire.

00H0H_3pN5sObQQPk_600x450.jpg

00w0w_hrlpizV11sa_600x450.jpg
00W0W_5vkGwbzY8UN_600x450.jpg
00p0p_cBQrEW1yGQM_600x450.jpg
00l0l_4tONflW5tQ5_600x450.jpg
00H0H_jDy9QGGmQkg_600x450.jpg
00e0e_8hiJeGzLMM_600x450.jpg
00101_cdl9RGehCFo_600x450.jpg
00808_21YcIM68u6r_600x450.jpg
00s0s_jhKaY4bOOzB_600x450.jpg
00505_aSaKDPsrJch_50x50c.jpg00H0H_3pN5sObQQPk_50x50c.jpg00w0w_hrlpizV11sa_50x50c.jpg00W0W_5vkGwbzY8UN_50x50c.jpg00p0p_cBQrEW1yGQM_50x50c.jpg00l0l_4tONflW5tQ5_50x50c.jpg00H0H_jDy9QGGmQkg_50x50c.jpg00e0e_8hiJeGzLMM_50x50c.jpg00101_cdl9RGehCFo_50x50c.jpg00808_21YcIM68u6r_50x50c.jpg00s0s_jhKaY4bOOzB_50x50c.jpg

First order of business is to separate your ride from the herd.  Best way to do it?  Wheels.  I opted for the Rubi Moab 16X8.  Not a huge reach, but I think they had it right when they put this wheel out.  Looks good on the 4x4 MJ without any suspension mod.

10142012 054.jpg

Last post for tonight ... errr ... this morning (hey, I'm on vacation and having a little libation ... for the MJ Gods, if you will).  Second order of business for me, is to clean up the interior (workin' on it).  With inspiration from the seats in Earl*t's gorgeous October 2013 MJOTM, and a great deal from KKilmer87 on some buckets, I did a low budget (friggin' expensive for me) seat cover set to match my XJ Country interior theme.

seats_after_01.jpg

Ugh... poor choice of words.  They're reupholstered/recovered, not off the rack covers.  I got a "friend" price from someone that does it professionally.  The first upholsterer I went to quoted $700 for what you see.  NO, I didn't pay anywhere near that, but it was expensive.

Ugh... poor choice of words.  They're reupholstered/recovered, not off the rack covers.  I got a "friend" price from someone that does it professionally.  The first upholsterer I went to quoted $700 for what you see.  NO, I didn't pay anywhere near that, but it was expensive.

I can appreciate the effort in saving the originals rather than getting replacements.

Almost though that was the case when I looked at the pictures again. They are a bit too snug to be pull-over covers. :)

Wrapped up installation of the new carpeting and permanently installed the console yesterday.  

Reinstalled the plastics and buckets today.   Couple things ... need natural light. The flash on my camera is making the red in the woodgrain trim pop.  The brown inserts in the seats matches the trim really well, but it's kind of a valour material so the camera washes the color out.  :doh:

Also, there really is new carpet in there ... the mats, console and seats almost totally obscure it.  I guess it will remain clean! :thumbsup:

08222014 007.jpg

So, I looked under the carpet and remedied that! 

Next order of business is to do Cruiser's tips. 

I also have a dash cluster that I plan to harvest gauges from to replace the idiot lights.  I'd like to keep the existing PRNDL cluster and populate it with the gauges from the donor.  I'm sure that's been done before.  Links will be helpful!

• 2 weeks later...

It was a nice day in southern New Hampshire ... warm, dry ... time to paint!  

Hoped I might get a good day to do a spray in bedliner.  Doing it on "the cheap", so I know I'm really just making it pretty, but hey, the is a "clean up" thread. 

Stocked up.  Bought a 6 pack (of Rustoleum Spray in Bedliner).  Each can covers 20sf.  I had sanded surface rust spots off a while ago and hit it with acetone, then primed the spot. 

08302014 067.jpg

• 3 years later...

I'm going to revive this thread ... I've been saving for a long time. I'm going to pull the trigger and give my MJ some love and money.  Stay tuned.   This is an older pic, but it's the launching point. 

comanche90.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Been a while since I posted anything to this thread and as it turns out, the clean-up never happened.  New chapter ... going back in time.  I replaced the '90 with an '88.  More to come on that.

I bought the '90 in 2012 and had high hopes, but life happens and I never got a "roundtuit".  Fast forward 6 years, the rot got ahead of me.   Shopped her around for repair and paint, did the math and sadly, decided it would be more cost effective to find a more solid foundation (Enter: the '88).    After parking the trucks side by side and swapping what I wanted, I parked her on the front lawn with a sign and my numbers, and put up a CL ad (I'll attach the pics).  That was about 6PM.  Got a phone call at 9 the next morning and was counting ca$h that night.  Seems the guy had been commuting past my house for years and was waiting for a for sale sign to appear. I mentioned in another thread that he'd already inspected the truck bottom-up before I ever put it up for sale. (Kind of unnerving).    He's a local guy.  I told him about Comanche Club, so we may see it around.

Here she is, end-game.  

IMG_20180414_160626764_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180414_160638361.jpg

IMG_20180414_160734166_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180414_161012077.jpg